Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Best way to do classic Amiga gaming  (Read 1025 times)

Description:

Offline danbeaver

Re: Best way to do classic Amiga gaming
« on: February 11, 2015, 11:14:59 PM »
How limited is your space if an A1200 won't fit?

You can use a Turbo Chameleon 64 and put it under your pillow if you need to save space, but the best way to run Classic Amiga Games might just be on a Classic Amiga (IMHO)

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 04:05:02 AM »
Quote from: agami;783702
The best way is to get into a time machine and go back to 1993. But before you do, go and get your memory of all modern games wiped. You can't take cash so you'll need to buy silver, gold, or diamonds. When you arrive in 1993 buy an A1200 and plug it into a TV or a 1084s monitor. Play the games as they come out. Get a modem and join a BBS. Buy Apple shares.

If you're interested in pre-AGA Amiga gaming then dial your time circuits to 1987. Buy an A500 with 512kB memory expansion or go for the king A2000.

In 1993, will he have the space to set it up?

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 05:53:52 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;783706
Best here is subjective, but really I'd say the best setup is the one youre most comfortable with.
As for display, it seems people tend to assume that what is true for them is true for everyone. Personally I loathe 1084s monitors, and instead plugged my a1200 into my 24inch 1920x1200 lcd monitor. Looks much nicer than the 1084, not blurry, and is usable at above ntsc/pal resolutions.
At 4:3 display this gives me a nice 400x300 display, which is enough for games with overscan. Id avoid something like 1280x1024 displays, as while it fit exactly into 320x256, it means a lot of software wont have the full display. Displays vary, as does peoples perception of things, so its pointless, and silly to say, "X is the best option".

An accelerator plus a1200 is a nice option though. Contrary to what a lot of people say ('030 users probably) an '030 is a bit weak.... sure it lets you play games intended for floppy well enough via whdload, but its not enough to have your bases covered elsewhere. To be brutally honest most games that were made for a500/floppy are pretty bad. Through sheer weight of numbers though there's a lot of good ones, but on average amiga games have dated terribly. Perhaps they just weren't that good to begin with.
Wasn't until mid to late 90's that amiga games peaked. Stuff before that (with some exceptions) was more miss than hit.

When those games peaked in the 90's, how much space did they require?

In some folks opinions, all retro games were "pretty bad," but their strings were too long I suppose.

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 06:38:04 AM »
Read post #8 by the OP

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 10:23:55 AM »
While one can compress "space," I'm not sure compressing time is an option without an extremely strong gravity field, but that might take up the same amount of room as an A1200.  So what we need to recommend is a way to Expand the Space in his flat to accommodate not just the A1200, but the PSU, mouse and Joystick.

Now the quickest way to expand a space is through rapidly expanding gases; I'm thinking a half to full stick of a substance based on nitroglycerin, using diatomaceous earth as a temporary matrix might be the first order of the day!