Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Best way to do classic Amiga gaming  (Read 994 times)

Description:

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
Re: Best way to do classic Amiga gaming
« Reply #14 from previous page: February 12, 2015, 04:28:19 AM »
Best here is subjective, but really I'd say the best setup is the one youre most comfortable with.
As for display, it seems people tend to assume that what is true for them is true for everyone. Personally I loathe 1084s monitors, and instead plugged my a1200 into my 24inch 1920x1200 lcd monitor. Looks much nicer than the 1084, not blurry, and is usable at above ntsc/pal resolutions.
At 4:3 display this gives me a nice 400x300 display, which is enough for games with overscan. Id avoid something like 1280x1024 displays, as while it fit exactly into 320x256, it means a lot of software wont have the full display. Displays vary, as does peoples perception of things, so its pointless, and silly to say, "X is the best option".

An accelerator plus a1200 is a nice option though. Contrary to what a lot of people say ('030 users probably) an '030 is a bit weak.... sure it lets you play games intended for floppy well enough via whdload, but its not enough to have your bases covered elsewhere. To be brutally honest most games that were made for a500/floppy are pretty bad. Through sheer weight of numbers though there's a lot of good ones, but on average amiga games have dated terribly. Perhaps they just weren't that good to begin with.
Wasn't until mid to late 90's that amiga games peaked. Stuff before that (with some exceptions) was more miss than hit.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 04:30:41 AM by fishy_fiz »
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2015, 05:53:52 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;783706
Best here is subjective, but really I'd say the best setup is the one youre most comfortable with.
As for display, it seems people tend to assume that what is true for them is true for everyone. Personally I loathe 1084s monitors, and instead plugged my a1200 into my 24inch 1920x1200 lcd monitor. Looks much nicer than the 1084, not blurry, and is usable at above ntsc/pal resolutions.
At 4:3 display this gives me a nice 400x300 display, which is enough for games with overscan. Id avoid something like 1280x1024 displays, as while it fit exactly into 320x256, it means a lot of software wont have the full display. Displays vary, as does peoples perception of things, so its pointless, and silly to say, "X is the best option".

An accelerator plus a1200 is a nice option though. Contrary to what a lot of people say ('030 users probably) an '030 is a bit weak.... sure it lets you play games intended for floppy well enough via whdload, but its not enough to have your bases covered elsewhere. To be brutally honest most games that were made for a500/floppy are pretty bad. Through sheer weight of numbers though there's a lot of good ones, but on average amiga games have dated terribly. Perhaps they just weren't that good to begin with.
Wasn't until mid to late 90's that amiga games peaked. Stuff before that (with some exceptions) was more miss than hit.

When those games peaked in the 90's, how much space did they require?

In some folks opinions, all retro games were "pretty bad," but their strings were too long I suppose.

Offline fishy_fiz

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2015, 06:02:42 AM »
Whoshotwhointhewhatnow?

The games required maybe a few extra floppies than what came before, or maybe even a cd. Sometimes there was no difference in storage size.
Not exactly sure of your point here though. A good game is a good game, much as a bad game is a bad game. Is there a point to the question?
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2015, 06:38:04 AM »
Read post #8 by the OP

Offline fishy_fiz

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2015, 07:09:04 AM »
Ah, sorry, my mistake.
I thought you was trying to instigate one of those weird arguments that seems so common on amiga forums sites. You know, the ones where people put their head in the sand and religiously try to insist their opinion is better, despite a subject being completely subjective and taste oriented  :-)

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2015, 08:57:39 AM »
The cheapest way right now is to get a Raspberry Pi 2 B. That can emulate an A1200 fairly consistently right now, and the software (FS-UAE) will only get faster as it is optimised for this new device.

Obviously real hardware is best, if you have the space, but you will need quite a few adaptors if you want to run it via HDMI. Scart is still a good option for gaming though - most Amiga games were fine over this. Also you may have to spend time cleaning the case, worrying about battery leakage, worrying about 20 year old hardware and so on.

The FPGA Arcade is a good option if you want newer hardware that actually behaves just like an Amiga (rather than software emulation). The difficulty with this platform is getting it.

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2015, 09:13:15 AM »
Quote from: agami;783702
The best way is to get into a time machine and go back to 1993. But before you do, go and get your memory of all modern games wiped. You can't take cash so you'll need to buy silver, gold, or diamonds.

Actually you should be able to take pound coins, as there are plenty of them still in circulation from 1983 onwards. It might take some time to get a large enough collection of these though. Notes, of course, are renewed very frequently so there won't be any from that time or design. Gold is probably the best option, go back in time to 1999 to buy some from Gordon Brown, and then take that back to 1987.

Aside from Apple shares, also buy properties in London in the early 90s (and sell in 2007, rebuy in 2010...)

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2015, 10:23:55 AM »
While one can compress "space," I'm not sure compressing time is an option without an extremely strong gravity field, but that might take up the same amount of room as an A1200.  So what we need to recommend is a way to Expand the Space in his flat to accommodate not just the A1200, but the PSU, mouse and Joystick.

Now the quickest way to expand a space is through rapidly expanding gases; I'm thinking a half to full stick of a substance based on nitroglycerin, using diatomaceous earth as a temporary matrix might be the first order of the day!