Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Against TCPA  (Read 1342 times)

Description:

Offline PhatBoiCollierTopic starter

• Show only replies by PhatBoiCollier
    • http://www.tirinoarim.co.uk
Against TCPA
« on: March 23, 2004, 10:45:59 AM »
Just noticed IonDeluxes Sig with the "Against TCPA" banner and intrigue got the better of me.  So, a quick trip to www.againsttcpa.com and (I think!) I'm up to speed on what its about.

BUT.  Its never going to happen.  Surely?  OK, you have all the big players signed up to it and the theory goes that if the TCPA Hardware detects that the software is not TCPA "certified", it simply will not work.

I write flight management systems for Thomas Cook.  These are very bespoke, company specific systems.  I cant see Microsoft ever writing one for Thomas Cook (one may argue for passenger safety, thats a good thing, but I digress).  I certainly dont think TCPA will certify our in-house software, so what happens.  We have to go back to paper and filing cabinets?

I also write chemical classification software (which calculates CHIP compliant chemical and hazardous substance safety data sheets and transportation documents).  Now, there are not many companies writing this software, and those that do are all relatively small.  The problem here is that this documentation is required by law.  So, we have one law that says "You need this documentation" and another law saying "you cannot run this software as it is not TCPA compliant".

So what happens?

Discuss....!
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary and those that dont.

Offline T_Bone

• Show only replies by T_Bone
    • http://www.amiga.org/userinfo.php?uid=1961
Re: Against TCPA
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 11:44:24 AM »

PhatBoiCollier wrote:
Just noticed IonDeluxes Sig with the "Against TCPA" banner and intrigue got the better of me.  So, a quick trip to www.againsttcpa.com and (I think!) I'm up to speed on what its about.

BUT.  Its never going to happen.  Surely?  OK, you have all the big players signed up to it and the theory goes that if the TCPA Hardware detects that the software is not TCPA "certified", it simply will not work.

I write flight management systems for Thomas Cook.  These are very bespoke, company specific systems.  I cant see Microsoft ever writing one for Thomas Cook (one may argue for passenger safety, thats a good thing, but I digress).  I certainly dont think TCPA will certify our in-house software, so what happens.  We have to go back to paper and filing cabinets?

I also write chemical classification software (which calculates CHIP compliant chemical and hazardous substance safety data sheets and transportation documents).  Now, there are not many companies writing this software, and those that do are all relatively small.  The problem here is that this documentation is required by law.  So, we have one law that says "You need this documentation" and another law saying "you cannot run this software as it is not TCPA compliant".

So what happens?

Discuss....!

Linux, BSD, etc, happen.  :-)
this space for rent

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2004, 04:03:07 PM »
I doubt TCPA will ever becoming a widely-used standard on its own.  For example, record labels don't want MS to take over their patch, so they're not interested in MS DRM.  I think other major industries will do much the same thing.

Offline PhatBoiCollierTopic starter

• Show only replies by PhatBoiCollier
    • http://www.tirinoarim.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2004, 04:37:04 PM »
> Linux, BSD, etc, happen.  

Exactly, thats the point.  The hardware will recognise it as not being TCPA "certified" and not let you run Linux/BSD etc.

And thats exactly why I dont think TCPA will ever happen.  It just sounds like a whole load of scare mongering to me.
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary and those that dont.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2004, 04:44:36 PM »
TCPA machine will exist... and M$ and Intel will force them down peoples throats.

But People will still buy AMD chips and build their own computers... Mobo manufactures will not miss out an opertunity to sell to as many people as possible... Look how long the IBM PC Compatible BIOS has stayed simply to make sure that the Mobo manufactures can sell thir boards to as many people as possible.