Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Russian missile launch fails...  (Read 3670 times)

Description:

Offline T_BoneTopic starter

• Show only replies by T_Bone
    • http://www.amiga.org/userinfo.php?uid=1961
Russian missile launch fails...
« on: February 18, 2004, 05:42:05 AM »
Wish I had a picture of Putins face when this happened...

I can't find a clear description of exactly what happened, some reports said the missle launch just never happened, others said the missile launched, then disintegrated in the air.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A48229-2004Feb17?language=printer
this space for rent

Offline Glaucus

• Show only replies by Glaucus
    • http://members.shaw.ca/mveroukis/
Re: Russian missile launch fails...
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 09:28:41 AM »
Putin is too much of a militarist. We'll never know what really happened, especially if a Russian sub was involved in this incident. Some US subs in the area would have recorded it, but I doubt the US would fill us in on this either.

If the missile did fail, it's not a biggie, they have conducted several successful tests in the past. However this bit about Putin on a sub (which I doubt submerged with him onboard) is generally a political stunt, much more lavish then Bush's carrier romp, but along the same lines. It does however tell us who they perceive their true enemies to be (hint: Al Qaeda/Chechens don't have a navy).

- Mike
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 10:36:45 AM »
They're now saying two ICBM's were fired, both disintegrating midair.

Glaucus wrote:
 It does however tell us who they perceive their true enemies to be (hint: Al Qaeda/Chechens don't have a navy).

- Mike

More along those lines...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/02/18/wrus18.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/02/18/ixworld.html
this space for rent

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 10:43:44 AM »
Yeah. I have the feeling that we might get another cold war on our hands if things don't turn... :-(

And I was hoping that it would be possible to ditch the Swedish military! Impossible, I guess! :-)
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2004, 10:57:05 AM »

whabang wrote:

And I was hoping that it would be possible to ditch the Swedish military! Impossible, I guess! :-)

Naaa... I wouldn't worry about it, [conspiracy nut] Our test of SDI that coincided with, and ruined their test proved succesful [/conspiracy nut]  ;-)

(Sometimes I wish I was the President just so I could make Trollish phonecalls on the red phone to other nations at times like this... "Putin, this is Bush, hey, we should go hunting soon, oh, by the way, did our SDI lasers hit your missles ok? We have an office pool going and I need the score!")
this space for rent

Offline manicx

• Show only replies by manicx
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2004, 12:37:36 PM »
I cannot understand why this is news. Any person who have been in the army knows that these things happen even to the best military exercises. For example, the Americans had 'real war' missile failures where innocent people were killed and all we 've heard was that these things happen! Now, this was news...

The place to be if you love Kick Off 2

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2004, 01:22:08 PM »
Time to finish digging that bomb shelter in the back yard, the reds are coming... again...
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2004, 01:52:16 PM »
Militarism is a quick and dirty road to revitalising a nation that's lost its spirit, and that's exactly what Putin is trying to do. It's also what Bush is trying to do. It's great for getting popularity fast from a conservative nation. Everyone gets jobs, the nation gets prestige, the flag gets waved, countries that have annoyed you in the past get intimidated.

The trouble, however, is once the militarist has finished parading his nice shiny tanks and planes, he realised that they're not useful for anything and that he's ruined the economy and will have to fire thousands of people who build these fine artillery pieces or use them because he's got nothing left to pay them with. He can't sell them, because militarism is unilateral and great for pissing off everyone else, and you don't want to give superior weapons to your enemies, do you?

So usually the militarist decides to invade someone with all of this otherwise useless military garbage, and take their resources instead. Which is what has happened in every militarist state from here to civilisation beginning. I can't believe that after the two greatest wars in history last century and a cold war that almost destroyed the world, people are STILL doing this crap.

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2004, 01:56:24 PM »

KennyR wrote:
I can't believe that after the two greatest wars in history last century and a cold war that almost destroyed the world, people are STILL doing this crap.
Well, duh, quite rethorical.
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline sumner7

• Show only replies by sumner7
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2004, 02:12:47 PM »

Speelgoedmannetje wrote:

KennyR wrote:
I can't believe that after the two greatest wars in history last century and a cold war that almost destroyed the world, people are STILL doing this crap.
Well, duh, quite rethorical.

Indeed it is, but these people don't get it. WE ONLY LIVE ONCE! :ranting:

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2004, 02:14:15 PM »
Because they do not read history, you mean?

Offline whabang

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2004, 02:24:34 PM »

KennyR wrote:
Militarism is a quick and dirty road to revitalising a nation that's lost its spirit, and that's exactly what Putin is trying to do. It's also what Bush is trying to do. It's great for getting popularity fast from a conservative nation. Everyone gets jobs, the nation gets prestige, the flag gets waved, countries that have annoyed you in the past get intimidated.

The trouble, however, is once the militarist has finished parading his nice shiny tanks and planes, he realised that they're not useful for anything and that he's ruined the economy and will have to fire thousands of people who build these fine artillery pieces or use them because he's got nothing left to pay them with. He can't sell them, because militarism is unilateral and great for pissing off everyone else, and you don't want to give superior weapons to your enemies, do you?

So usually the militarist decides to invade someone with all of this otherwise useless military garbage, and take their resources instead. Which is what has happened in every militarist state from here to civilisation beginning. I can't believe that after the two greatest wars in history last century and a cold war that almost destroyed the world, people are STILL doing this crap.

In other words: We have a new cold war building up?

Offline whabang

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2004, 02:26:58 PM »

redrumloa wrote:
Time to finish digging that bomb shelter in the back yard, the reds are coming... again...

Let's hope it doesn't get that far, shall we?
Sweden has a bad habit when it comes to warring russians... :-D

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2004, 02:43:59 PM »
Whabang wrote:

Nah, Russia is a spent force. It's economy is ruined, organised crime holds all the wealth, Chechnya is sucking its resources dry, and its people are fed up of queuing up all day for a potato just so the government can afford to keep the Tenth Guards Shock Army equipped with tanks. You won't see another cold war from there this century.

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2004, 02:47:32 PM »

KennyR wrote:
Whabang wrote:

Nah, Russia is a spent force. It's economy is ruined, organised crime holds all the wealth, Chechnya is sucking its resources dry, and its people are fed up of queuing up all day for a potato just so the government can afford to keep the Tenth Guards Shock Army equipped with tanks. You won't see another cold war from there this century.
But civil war? :nervous: remember what happened in 1917? Danger ESPECIALLY lurks when people have no food.