Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: To Vampire or not  (Read 4108 times)

Description:

Offline Djole

• Show all replies
Re: To Vampire or not
« on: June 09, 2017, 06:56:44 PM »
Quote from: Gulliver;826860
Yes, but better be safe than sorry and buy a Vampire for what it is now if you want one, because it has fallen short on many promises they made in the past.

And what promises are those ? Since they are still developing the core you cant judge if the promises will be held or not. BTW they delivered a lot more than promised until now and they are not done yet.... There is a lot more to come...

@topic

If you ever dreamed of a hi-end Amiga with fast 68k and RTG then Vampire sure gives a lot of bang for the money. If you just want to run classic games, then it might not be for you even tho the compatibility with WHDload and old sw is growing with every core release.
A1200 030
A1200 stock
A600 Vampire v2

VOLIM TE REPUBLIKO SRPSKA!
[/B][/COLOR]

Offline Djole

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 07:46:16 PM »
Quote from: Gulliver;826863
Promises unfullfilled to this date:

-A compatible 68k MMU
-A compatible 68k FPU
-The most compatible processor than any of the Motorola 68k series

And the list could go on, but it is not my intention to demerit the Apollo choice, just to give fair advice to a fellow Amiga user.

I already said it is fast for productivity stuff and desirable if you go this route. But it is not good on gaming/whdload and demos.

Please dont derail the thread and turn it into another Apollo-core cult member thread.

Thats a better formulation..... to this date :)
A1200 030
A1200 stock
A600 Vampire v2

[/B][/COLOR]

Offline Djole

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 08:51:03 AM »
Quote from: kolla;826901
You know that this makes no sense? :)Anyhow, "any Amiga FPU option" also includes PowerPC cards, and they run in circles around 68EC080. The showcase for the apollo core superiority is Riva, and anyone who are used to offloading mpeg decoding to either dedicated hardware or to PowerPC, it is rather unimpressive.

And what PPC or even 060 OR EVEN 040 options do we have for a600 and a500 ? Please dont mention some ultra rare, ultra old, ultra expensive, one in the world, ancient card. So you make no sense at all.... v2 runs circles around any available a500 and a600 accelerator. Beside that it even gives you RTG and 128MB ram.... What other RTG option is out there for a500 and a600 ? You people are just whiners....
A1200 030
A1200 stock
A600 Vampire v2

[/B][/COLOR]

Offline Djole

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 01:00:34 PM »
Quote from: kolla;826924
This thread is about A2000, but more importantly my reply was to a claim about "any Amiga FPU option". For what it is worth, my other CPU card for A600, which ironically is an Apollo 630, with a 68882, runs in circles around the V600 when it comes to software relying on FPU, as all you get on Apollo Core is 8000 000B :)

Try to run this on your mighty 030 with FPU....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m6zm_tI2mE
A1200 030
A1200 stock
A600 Vampire v2

[/B][/COLOR]

Offline Djole

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 08:50:20 PM »
Quote from: kolla;826926
Why don't you show off Quake instead?

I will when FPU is done. So you really fail to see that Vampire is the best thing happend to Amiga in years ? Dont you see it started new development, new ports, new activity, new (old) users coming back etc. ? BTW minislug also runs on 060 as do many other ports... If you dont like it, there is no need to be negative about it, there are a few thousand happy users and there is you and a few other grumpy whiners not liking it.... Just be happy with your 030+FPU and let the rest enjoy the Amiga future.
A1200 030
A1200 stock
A600 Vampire v2

[/B][/COLOR]

Offline Djole

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 02:18:48 PM »
Gunnar repeated many times and I am sure you whiners are aware of this, that FPU is developed, it needs a lot more testing before release and that it is not very high on the priority list. So the team doesnt think its a very important part of THEIR product and find that other things should have higher priority so they are working on these things (SAGA, Pamela etc.). Also he repeated a lot of times to only buy the Vampire for the features it has NOW and not for the features it might have in the future.

People seem to think they have some magical right to demand things and tell professionals what they should do. Buy a product that fits your demands and budget.
A1200 030
A1200 stock
A600 Vampire v2

[/B][/COLOR]

Offline Djole

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 02:38:37 PM »
Its funny reading all these posts, there are 2 men (whiners) crying about something Gunnar might have said while the Vampire is growing every day, bringing new features and new users. Its clear the goal is to bring out a standalone board as fast as possible with a fast 68k, improved AGA, sound, a new compatible platform. Its clear it will never be 100% compatible, but compatible is a relative thing, a1200 is not 100% compatible to a500, 060 is not 100% compatible with 020 etc....The main complaint is the FPU which might come when other priorities are done. I wonder what the haters will whine about then ? Its clear vampire is a great success and it has set a new standard in Amiga hardware and software. If Aros continues to develop at a fast pace, we will have a open Amiga platform with modern hardware and open OS.
A1200 030
A1200 stock
A600 Vampire v2

[/B][/COLOR]

Offline Djole

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 11:08:44 PM »
yeah the ones who have run out of arguments (give us FPU now) would like to get this thread closed now.  Give us FPU or we will hate you is the main argument. If you dont, you are a dork and gay of course, liar, amiga hater, cheat and a AROS lover. BUrn mf....
A1200 030
A1200 stock
A600 Vampire v2

[/B][/COLOR]

Offline Djole

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 01:47:24 PM »
It means 060 compatible FPU is  not working and its work in progress, just like its stated.... If you want to get Apollo core for some other use like running your washing machine you can ask Gunnar about available FPU options....
A1200 030
A1200 stock
A600 Vampire v2

[/B][/COLOR]

Offline Djole

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 12:11:41 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;827205
Not so much that its slow, as they simply haven't been able to get it to work.

And a lot of my commentary on the Vampire project is related to my lack of understanding about how separate the Apollo team and the Vampire team are.

All the hype from Gunnar doesn't help, or the editing of threads destroying their continuity. But, long term this particular FPGA project could do a lot of good.

Although...its still not going to replace my MorphOS hardware. :hammer:

I dont know how hard it can be, Apollo is a 68k softcore. Vampire board uses a adapted version of the Apollo core. People dont want or just cant understand this but its very simple, there are many versions of the Apollo core, one just seems to fit our beloved Amiga....Thanks to the hard work of the A-team.
A1200 030
A1200 stock
A600 Vampire v2

[/B][/COLOR]