Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: To Vampire or not  (Read 3761 times)

Description:

Offline curtisTopic starter

• Show only replies by curtis
    • http://www.suddenlink.net/pages/curtismc
To Vampire or not
« on: June 09, 2017, 05:17:18 PM »
I currently have an A2000, 10 MB Ram, OS 3.1 and 1.3, Fusion 40 clocking at 40 MHz, Rev 6.2 (I think).  Keep hearing talk about the wonderful specs on the Vampire  and keep asking myself if I should upgrade.  

The main thing I do with my miggy is games but was looking at expanding my use to Web surfing, email, and more general use.  

Comments please both pro and con.

Thanks in advance.
Outside a dog, a book is a man\'s best friend. Inside a dog it\'s too dark to read! Groucho Marx

Curtis McCain

http://pages.suddenlink.net/curtismc/

Offline Gulliver

Re: To Vampire or not
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 05:47:12 PM »
If you are into Amiga gaming and whdload, I suggest you to stay away from the Vampire, as it has a lot of compatibility issues with them.

If you are into productivity apps and want to have a speedy system, then go for the Vampire.

You cant have both, so you better establish your Amiga priorities and decide upon those.

Offline David Wright

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 06:01:11 PM »
Does anyone seriously web surf on an Amiga, even one with a Vampire?
The occasional need to go to aminet and a few sites would be a nice bonus but not a reason to go and spend the money.

Some games and even some productivity apps will crash. For that reason I think you should sit tight.

Offline Bennymee

• Show only replies by Bennymee
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 06:18:19 PM »
Quote from: Gulliver;826855
If you are into Amiga gaming and whdload, I suggest you to stay away from the Vampire, as it has a lot of compatibility issues with them.

If you are into productivity apps and want to have a speedy system, then go for the Vampire.

You cant have both, so you better establish your Amiga priorities and decide upon those.

At this moment you are right, but the Apollo-core is activly developed :)
Amiga 500, 1200, 4000, Amigaone, Morphos, CyberstormPPC, Blizzardppc, OS4.x

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 06:23:42 PM »
Quote from: Bennymee;826859
At this moment you are right, but the Apollo-core is activly developed :)

Yes, but better be safe than sorry and buy a Vampire for what it is now if you want one, because it has fallen short on many promises they made in the past.

Offline Djole

• Show only replies by Djole
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 06:56:44 PM »
Quote from: Gulliver;826860
Yes, but better be safe than sorry and buy a Vampire for what it is now if you want one, because it has fallen short on many promises they made in the past.

And what promises are those ? Since they are still developing the core you cant judge if the promises will be held or not. BTW they delivered a lot more than promised until now and they are not done yet.... There is a lot more to come...

@topic

If you ever dreamed of a hi-end Amiga with fast 68k and RTG then Vampire sure gives a lot of bang for the money. If you just want to run classic games, then it might not be for you even tho the compatibility with WHDload and old sw is growing with every core release.
A1200 030
A1200 stock
A600 Vampire v2

VOLIM TE REPUBLIKO SRPSKA!
[/B][/COLOR]

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 07:31:39 PM »
Quote from: Djole;826862
And what promises are those ? Since they are still developing the core you cant judge if the promises will be held or not. BTW they delivered a lot more than promised until now and they are not done yet.... There is a lot more to come...

Promises unfullfilled to this date:

-A compatible 68k MMU
-A compatible 68k FPU
-The most compatible processor than any of the Motorola 68k series

And the list could go on, but it is not my intention to demerit the Apollo choice, just to give fair advice to a fellow Amiga user.

I already said it is fast for productivity stuff and desirable if you go this route. But it is not good on gaming/whdload and demos.

Please dont derail the thread and turn it into another Apollo-core cult member thread.

Offline Djole

• Show only replies by Djole
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 07:46:16 PM »
Quote from: Gulliver;826863
Promises unfullfilled to this date:

-A compatible 68k MMU
-A compatible 68k FPU
-The most compatible processor than any of the Motorola 68k series

And the list could go on, but it is not my intention to demerit the Apollo choice, just to give fair advice to a fellow Amiga user.

I already said it is fast for productivity stuff and desirable if you go this route. But it is not good on gaming/whdload and demos.

Please dont derail the thread and turn it into another Apollo-core cult member thread.

Thats a better formulation..... to this date :)
A1200 030
A1200 stock
A600 Vampire v2

VOLIM TE REPUBLIKO SRPSKA!
[/B][/COLOR]

Offline curtisTopic starter

• Show only replies by curtis
    • http://www.suddenlink.net/pages/curtismc
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 10:51:40 PM »
Hmmm, methinks I'll stand pat.

Still, nice to know there are options.
Outside a dog, a book is a man\'s best friend. Inside a dog it\'s too dark to read! Groucho Marx

Curtis McCain

http://pages.suddenlink.net/curtismc/

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 12:08:23 AM »
Quote from: Gulliver;826863

-A compatible 68k MMU

sorry but this is a completely false information. apollo team/gunnar has never promissed mmu nor considered 68030/40 or 60 mmu reimplementation as option. i remember this very well, since i have lived through discussions about the subject on german forums mostly between gunnar and thor.

i would prefer to have a core with backwards compatible mmu (for debugging purposes) as well as fpu. but it isnt my project and it isnt my decision to take. i can be supportive about projects without making bold demands. if vampire/ apollo wont suit my needs ill simply skip on it. so far i am comfortable to cooperate simply using my genuine amigas and uae..

Offline IanP

• Show only replies by IanP
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2017, 12:35:34 AM »
I also don't recall the Apollo team ever claiming that the MMU of the Apollo Core for the Vampire would ever be compatible with previous 68k MMU's.

I'm also a little surprised to read the Vampire has a lot of compatibility issues with whdload games as I would have expected to read about a lot more examples of this by now if it's the case. As for non-whdload games well that's always been a lottery with any Amiga setup (needing ROM switchers, memory disable switches, accelerator disable switches etc. for compatibility with some games).

On the upside the Apollo Core will likely allow AGA games to be played on a Vampired A500/1000/2000 or A600 soon, although as always only buy it for what it can do now. What it can do now is also allow you to play a lot of new ports of demanding games thanks to the work of guys like Arti and Modern Vintage Gamer. The OpenBOR engine has over 100 games listed on http://www.gamesdatabase.org/all_system_games-openbor

Offline UberFreak

• Show only replies by UberFreak
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2017, 03:23:59 AM »
I'm in the waiting camp.
I'll buy it if/when its available for AGA Amigas and can run everything an 060 can (which means FPU).
Until that day, I'll be happy with my 060.

Offline johnklos

• Show only replies by johnklos
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2017, 04:16:43 AM »
Regarding the MMU, I'd have remembered if I ever saw that. Since I'm looking for the fastest m68k for compiling pkgsrc packages for NetBSD, I'd need an MMU, and I can say for sure I've never seen any mention of working on that.

Offline A2666

• Show only replies by A2666
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2017, 06:03:50 AM »
Quote from: curtis;826850
I currently have an A2000, 10 MB Ram, OS 3.1 and 1.3, Fusion 40 clocking at 40 MHz, Rev 6.2 (I think).  Keep hearing talk about the wonderful specs on the Vampire  and keep asking myself if I should upgrade.  

The main thing I do with my miggy is games but was looking at expanding my use to Web surfing, email, and more general use.  

Comments please both pro and con.

Thanks in advance.

So I see some people are writing about compatibility issues with WHD Load?
 That is complete nonsense. I have both V500 (2000) and V600 and they are both simply amazing. Great quality, plenty of memory, fast, easy installation.
 I liked my V600 so much that I decided to re-case my 600 into Casablanca desktop case to make it a proper desktop computer, have HDMI, VGA, SD-card on the back, Cdrom and HXC inside, everything works just fine.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2017, 01:05:01 PM »
The one consistent claim you keep hearing repeated is what this will do "soon".

But they have implemented new instructions that almost nothing supports!

Hey, the excuses about not promising a compatible MMU (which an '040 or above cpu should have) don't make up for the lack of a floating point unit.

So cut the BS. This crap IS Natami style cultish at times.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"