Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gold 2.7 release for the Vampire accelerators  (Read 46857 times)

Description:

Offline OlafS3

Re: Gold 2.7 release for the Vampire accelerators
« on: March 08, 2018, 11:05:09 AM »
Quote from: psxphill;837110
Whether it's microcoded or not is an implementation detail. Whether a 68060 was emulating a 68000 is up to Motorola to decide, like Ship of Theseus.

A 65816 can emulate a 6502. A NEC V30 can emulate an 8080.

As Winuae is real enough for many users, both have pros and cons in their implementation. Saying it's not emulation is an attempt to create a religious following that overlooks the downsides, because "it's always better because it's not emulation".

it is a rather weird discussion and not really related to Gold 2.7 Core. There are thousands of customers who are very happy with Vampire and do not give a %&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@! if it is Asic or in this case implemented in a FPGA. It is nearest to real hardware but it can evolve (in opposite to a silicon chip). Also pressing silicon would cost a fortune and is only a option if the product is really finished (feature wise) and tested. Most users are happy with what they get, even with the direction, a couple of not but those could sell it without loosing money. Then there are people critisizing the direction while not owning it and with propably no intention to ever buy it what is a little strange. For some hardcore users it is not real enough so they prefer the old hardware. Others are happy with emulation and do not need hardware to be happy. Everybody can decide what he prefers. This whole "FPGA is emulation" discussion is really weird, if FPGA based solutions are not your interest then simply do not buy it.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 12:18:09 PM »
Quote from: kolla;837577
Not pure, Just 99.999999999998603 % negative, for some strange reason.

Btw, now that it is clear that Tuko is the person behind ApolloOS - is he part of the Apollo Team or is he not? He has labeled himself "Apollo Team" on EAB for example - how was it about ApolloOS _not_ being officially made, endorsed or supported by the team, but rather by some "rabid enthusiast"? I see the kickstarts that comes with cores are pretty much OS3.9 kickstarts, including bits and pieces like the latest shell update from ThoR and more.

As someone who owns two Vampire cards, I want to know the distribution rights and licenses for the software that I have download along with the core updates - is the content of the kickstart exclusively licensed to the Apollo Team? If so, where is the statement from the copyright owners about this? The websites are totally silent, both Tuko's http://www.apollo-accelerators.com and Gunnar's apollo-core.com - the changelog (http://www.apollo-accelerators.com/files/ChangeLog) says nothing.

If there wasn't so much BS surrounding the entire Apollo Core project, there wouldn't be any reason to be stir the pond, but the way the team operates, it is very hard to not raise a few questions - questions that no-one seems willing to answer properly to settle any doubts.

you just nerve, you are aware of

do us a favor and search for another hobby

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 12:22:17 PM »
Quote from: kolla;837577
Not pure, Just 99.999999999998603 % negative, for some strange reason.

Btw, now that it is clear that Tuko is the person behind ApolloOS - is he part of the Apollo Team or is he not? He has labeled himself "Apollo Team" on EAB for example - how was it about ApolloOS _not_ being officially made, endorsed or supported by the team, but rather by some "rabid enthusiast"? I see the kickstarts that comes with cores are pretty much OS3.9 kickstarts, including bits and pieces like the latest shell update from ThoR and more.

As someone who owns two Vampire cards, I want to know the distribution rights and licenses for the software that I have download along with the core updates - is the content of the kickstart exclusively licensed to the Apollo Team? If so, where is the statement from the copyright owners about this? The websites are totally silent, both Tuko's http://www.apollo-accelerators.com and Gunnar's apollo-core.com - the changelog (http://www.apollo-accelerators.com/files/ChangeLog) says nothing.

If there wasn't so much BS surrounding the entire Apollo Core project, there wouldn't be any reason to be stir the pond, but the way the team operates, it is very hard to not raise a few questions - questions that no-one seems willing to answer properly to settle any doubts.

3.9 kickstarts? 3.9 kickstarts do not exist or you are changing history now

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 12:26:13 PM »
Quote from: kolla;837606
And I ask again - on so many occasions and in media, podcasts etc, it has been stated over and over the "ApolloOS" (today "Coffin") is not at all done by "the team", but some "anonymous enthusiast". So it turns out that this "anonymous enthusiast" is actually Renaud "TuKo" Schweingruber, whos associations with "the team" is so close that he on several sites talks and acts on behalf of them, has "Apollo Team" on his profile and all. He is also the guy who seems to run http://www.apollo-accelerators.com (according to whois-info, he owns the domain), which is the site from where one orders cards and download cores. How this is "not by the team" is becoming irrelevant. When users come with problems on the apollo-core site, among the first questions they get from "the team" is what version of ApolloOS, and if it isn't, they suggest try with ApolloOS - especially for "new users and people who have not used Amiga maybe since 1.x days" - this while also maintaining a rumour that "oh, but all vampire owners already bought OS3.9 years ago". Some people are more equal than others, I suppose.

Where do you know who is behind "ApolloOS"? And yes distribution certainly is illegal, not just because of based on 3.9. Because of that it is unofficial.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 01:24:36 PM »
Quote from: PPC;837627
Thomas,

What i mean is can these rights be transferred, would H&P let those go, it's not part of their core business anymore, and i cannot imagine it generates a substantial part of their income.
In short, if talked to H&P would they transfer those copyrights and the sources for a symbolic amount of money.
So we can get out of this limbo and would save guys like you a whole lot of work.

I was in contact with Mr. Haage some time ago, to me he looked to say it polite "not very interested in amiga anymore". Even worse as far as I know they left the market not with good feelings. Also 3.9 is partly licensed so he would have to sorted out where he still has copyrights and where components are licensed. We talk about something 20 years ago so I am not sure if they still have all the documents anymore and even if why should they invest lots of time in it just to please a couple of users and not getting any money for it.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 03:50:17 PM »
Quote from: Thomas Richter;837647
Again spreading false rumours, right? So, where did you get this from?

that was the big topic recent days

f.e.
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=42473&forum=16&viewmode=flat&order=0

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 09:42:55 AM »
Quote from: grond;837678
So they don't care and neither allow nor prohibit copying of 3.9, at least not if no money is charged for the copy. That's what I would consider abandonware.

ApolloOS is highly illegal from a legal point of view

To find copyright owners and get approval, examine documentations regarding distribution and so on is a lot of work. That is expecially true for former commercial software. I would estimate at least 40% of time is needed for that. To say I do not give a %&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@! on laws and simply ignore it saves a lot of time. Cinema4D f.e. what was included is still sold and not abandonware (of course not for amiga and reprogrammed not based on the old sources). So team members should not promote ApolloOS in public to not make them attackable in a legal sense. Vampire is if you look how many devices are sold something commercial so rules and laws have to be accepted. How much profit you do with it is not important.