Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Apollo Team announces the Vampire V4  (Read 70813 times)

Description:

Offline Niding

• Show all replies
Re: Apollo Team announces the Vampire V4
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 09:54:08 AM »
Quote from: psxphill;829429
I understand it's work in progress, but it's not progressing towards a product that would be good for the amiga community as a whole.

I only started calling them fan boys after years of dreadful behaviour by the pro apollo supporters acting childishly towards any suggestion that gunnar disagreed with. The behaviour comes from the top down, so get gunnar to fix his attitude and the problems will all disappear. Good luck with that.

Maybe we should raise above the kid like behaviour instead of reeinforcing it? Just a thought ;)

Offline Niding

• Show all replies
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 07:51:30 PM »
Quote from: clusteruk;829443
Amiga emulation on Raspberry Pi out performs all my Amiga's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HZXM6cLVUg

Very well made video. Thanks for sharing :)

Offline Niding

• Show all replies
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2017, 08:54:54 AM »
Quote from: BSzili;829669
It's very strange that people who say "buy it for the existing features" have no answer to this ;)

Thats because you seemingly dont want to read what many has been saying;

-I enjoy being able to run Workbench RTG/Thru HDMI without Indivision.
-I enjoy the responsive Workbench.
-I enjoy the productivity + music in the background without the system grinding to a halt.

Im not a developer or a poweruser, so my list probably seems like "lol", but Im pretty sure userfriendliness and responsiveness of the system is a BIG positive for most people.

Ofcourse its a mixed bag for developers based on what Ive read. More powerful design, but lackluster in development tools for the Vampire spesific core features. I get that.

I guess you could respond with "The points you listed you could get from WinUAE and Amikit!" or "a beefed up A4000 with xyz cards would be able to deliver the same".
Yes, but at what pricetag?
Emulation is free ofcourse, but A4000 and legacy hardware, nope.

Offline Niding

• Show all replies
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2017, 09:12:31 AM »
Quote from: psxphill;829672
Why do you hate Indivision?

Who says I hate Indivision? I got a Mk 2 in my A1200, but compared to the overall exprience I have with my V600, I dont miss using it.
It defintly served its purpose (and still does, the few times I boot up my A1200).

Offline Niding

• Show all replies
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2017, 09:33:14 AM »
@psxphill

You are just fishing for conflicts.

Indivision is something many of us can compare and relate to. I enjoy Jens's hardware, and as I said, it has served its purpose. But compared to the userfriendliness of Vampire it has its shortcomings. That is obviously not only down to the Indivision, but the fact that my Blizzard 030 lacks the power to run Workbench well enough when you increase the resolution and colors+music in the background.

Making the girlfriend argument is pure bullcrap. Shes not a tool to be used for a certain pupose. Computers are, and they dont have feelings. Im sure Jens dont mind and understand the difference in hardware, plus he has gotten money from me several times.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 09:35:49 AM by Niding »

Offline Niding

• Show all replies
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2017, 10:40:16 AM »
"there are no magic get out clauses because one is a person."

Wow.

Offline Niding

• Show all replies
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2017, 12:09:42 PM »
@BSzili

How so?

Just cause some of us, like myself, isnt developers, it invalidates what Vampire brings to the table? The performance boost and memory is on its own a big sellingpoint (again, for me).

Does the current lack of compiler support of different flavours (other than asm) invalidate the features of the core itself? The potential is there, but not utilized unless you are familiar with ASM (correct me if Im wrong, thats my impression).

I would personally like to see higher level languages like Hollywood support/have plugins for Vampire. But again, the raw performance boost thru processing power is enough to make good use of Hollywood.

The way you comment basically signals to me "Thanks for proving my point, but by the way, we should all ditch all Amiga flavours (hardware and OS), cause Wintel does it all better! Be it AROS, Morphos, AOS etc.
I assume thats not what you are saying tho.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 12:14:16 PM by Niding »

Offline Niding

• Show all replies
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2017, 07:56:22 AM »
Quote from: whiteb;829783
http://distrita.com/alert-important-notice-apollo-team-is-asking-for-your-help/

Someone explain to me what is happening with this registration stuff ???

The Facebook Amiga group is discussing it..., So the Apollo team kick out Kipper2k from the group over a disagreement, (Vampire would not be what it is today without kipper), and now want people with boards to send them back so they can implement a registration system ?

Uhhhh no thanks !

So where is the source of the info you have about Brian getting kicked?

From his own homepage;

http://www.kipper2k.com/

Hi all,  Just a quick note to give you update on my status. I took a big hit on bad board production recently which has put a huge dent money wise on what  i can and want to do in the future.  I am going to exhaust all my supply of different projects that i have sitting about and will then kinda fizzle away and just do a few projects only. I don't intend on continuing with making the Vampire 600 boards and i will be exhausting those items also. Thanks for everyones support.

Brian

Offline Niding

• Show all replies
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2017, 08:50:16 AM »
And I will add gronds post on EAB;

Kipper was not kicked from the team. He decided to leave because he was burnt out from all the stress and exhaustion which accumulated over the years. Him having become a grandad recently surely also has played a role. Whoever spreads this nonsense on facebook has no clue or is trying to harm the project.

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=1179157&postcount=128

Offline Niding

• Show all replies
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2017, 08:30:42 PM »
Quote from: pierre;830018
So where and when are these going to be sold.  So far the whole Vampire thing is just vapor to me. I've seen them in youtube.  PPL talk like you can buy them but so far I can tell you can't.

Its not vapor. I have a V600, like alot of others do.

http://www.apollo-accelerators.com/

That said; since they have moved away from manual production, and will shift to vendors, you can soonish purchase from a webshop.

Details about Vendors; http://www.apollo-accelerators.com/files/V4_announcement_v1_5.pdf

Amedia Computer France SAS https://www.amedia-computer.com/fr/
Leaman Computing Ltd http://amigakit.com/
RELEC http://www.relec.ch
AmigaStore http://amigastore.eu
Amiten Store http://amiten.es/

Offline Niding

• Show all replies
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2017, 09:32:27 PM »
Quote from: pierre;830024
Ohh boy, that site look like well maybe.... not holding my breath.  Too bad this can't be managed better.  We can only hope AmigaKit gets them in stock.

Thats the point; it IS getting managed better going forward. Its why they recently switched to factory production, and will use vendors.

Offline Niding

• Show all replies
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2017, 09:57:17 AM »
Quote from: Zooz;830085
and map it differently when running Atari TOS => this is false, the vampire do not map any atari stuff.

map out "video ram" for the P96 driver => false, video memory is allocated at end of fastram (MEMF_REVERSE), just that. the video can address any ram from any allocated memory with MEMF_FAST|MEMF_PUBLIC.

and that gunnar do not brings now a mmu is because, one again, prios are elsewhere at moment.

again, i see kolla continues to insult vampire users as so called minions, which seriously starts to bother me, he indeed desperately needs a life.

Well, kolla says alot/some of Vampire users are ignorant, which depends how you define it.
I most certainly feel quite ignorant about the inner workings of both AOS and 68k hardware. I coded some ASM back in the 90s, but has forgotten it all basically. So in kollas world Im one of those ignorants. Thats fine. I dont care what he thinks, just like he doesnt  care what I think.
I personally look at what I currently need from a computer, just like he does. Vampire works just fine for my personal needs, and thats what is my refrencepoint. A computer is a tool, not a religious icon.

I realise that some developers have issues with the lack of MMU for debugging purposes, and as a non-developer I cant speak to that point. Is there ways around this issue, or will it require new tools to get around it?

But these subjective stabs isnt really helping anyone. Personally I cant be bothered reading or posting forums much anymore, cause they usually just stray off course, instead of staying objective. And to be fair, that goes for people very much in favour of Vampire too.

Offline Niding

• Show all replies
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2017, 06:31:16 PM »
http://www.apollo-core.com/knowledge.php?b=4¬e=5931&order=&x=6

Gunnar von Boehn
(Apollo Team Member)
Posts 2726
29 Aug 2017 16:08

Vojin Vidanovic wrote:

Rod March wrote:
  Not looking for a promise, just an indication if it's even on the cards?

I am not part of the team, but ...

Its likely we will have Apollo FPU that might be used in new apps, likely in V4 Vampires.
  This means that 080 will be able of fast FPU operations with its optimized apps, but no 8882 compatibility there.
    That is my personal understanding of the situation.

Your understanding is all wrong
V4 will of course have 68882 compatible FPU.

Ofcourse, I never know if Gunnar is trolling for lolz, or serious. Time will show :)

Offline Niding

• Show all replies
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2018, 10:04:15 AM »
Skipp is a beta tester of Gold 3, and publishes them onto youtube.

Here is a nice demo and its performance;
Push Entertainment "Mental" Amiga AGA Demo (Vampire 600 V2)

Apollo Core rev. 5282 (beta GOLD3 AGA core) running "Mental" by Push Entertainment (2003). Realtime 50fps capture from HDMI (576p video and Paula 16 bit audio via digital stream) with StarTech PEXHDCAP. 1280x720 crop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5qBscKdJiA

Offline Niding

• Show all replies
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2018, 09:29:50 PM »
http://forum.apollo-accelerators.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1937

September Activity Report

As summer is ending soon, people are coming back from the sea to what really matters: Amiga love. After a general slowdown in team this summer, we are also back again at work and here are the news!

Events

Apollo Team will be attending some events in next months and we are very excited to meet people there and discuss about Vampire:

Classic Computing 2018 on 22+23th of September in Oedheim-Degmarn (Germany)

µAlchimie V on 20+21th of October in Clérieux (France)

We will bring nice surprises at those events but I won’t tell more about it, you just have to be there ;-)

GOLD2.11

GOLD2.x development branch is still ongoing and we should soon release a new iteration of that core series with name of GOLD2.11 (our marketing team took weeks to choose that incredible and over original name). GOLD2.11 will introduce some very interesting feature like blitter improvement, which should fix lot of badly written games running on WHDLoad that where messing with IRQ a bit too much.

FPU has also been improved by a large margin: we were able to use bit of remaining FPGA space to extend precision of FPU up to 50Bit. This improvement fixes Elude RTG demos that were affected by the « date bug » reported on A1k. MacOS emulation was also affected by this (you could see it when running Warcraft 2, intro movie was a slideshow). Kiero helped us to address this issue and we thank him for that, thanks man!

We also introduced Out-of-Order execution on FPU instructions, which speeds up operation by another great margin when software takes advantage of it. For example, POVray likes it very much and calculation is now faster on 3D rendering scenes.

Team is also working on ICache Prefetch. This feature will also speed up lot of programs that can take advantage of it. This one is not trivial and need to be implemented conscientiously to not introduce unwanted behaviour. If it gets good enough, it will make its way in GOLD2.11.

All in one, we are super excited about bringing GOLD2.11 to all, it will make Vampire V2 even faster while improving compatibility with old games.

GOLD3

GOLD3 branch development has also continued during this summer. We went through quite a lot of games and fixed lot of them but it still requires some love. We are thinking about releasing GOLD3 as alpha and open a webpage to report bugs to help speeding up development.

Bug reports for GOLD3 would require some rules to be followed to be considered. Reporting « it doesn’t work » won’t be useful and time wasting for team.

In next days that webpage will be set up and more communication will flow accordingly. Stay tuned, AGA for everyone is around the corner.

Vampire V4

Vampire V4 is being actively tested and we are still in process of porting current core code from Cyclone III to Cyclone V. As Cyclone V FPGA cells responds very differently from the good old C3, we need to make sure that core behaves as expected on it on every case we throw at him. This process is long and very exhausting and is even involving people from Altera to make it happen.

Checkmate A1500 Plus

Our friend Stephen Jones just launched a kickstarter campaign for his checkmate A1500 Plus case, which is a perfect fit for a Vampirized Amiga. We fully support him and hope he will achieve full success on his campaign. If you haven’t yet baked it, it’s time to. Go get one here now.

Offline Niding

• Show all replies
« Reply #29 from previous page: September 29, 2018, 05:51:14 PM »
Skipp, which is a beta tester, has finally gotten his hands on a V4, and have run thru a few demos.

Ghostown & Loonies "Human Traffic" Amiga AGA Demo (Vampire V4)

First ever capture from my shiny new Vampire V4 :) "Human Traffic" AGA/FPU demo by GTN&LNS (2011). Running on alpha AGA+FPU core revision 5484 (~92MHz, not 78MHz despite what "WhichAmiga" thinks). Recorded in realtime 720x576 50fps with StarTech PEXHDCAP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eseAQFySGzY

The Black Lotus "Ocean Machine" Amiga AGA Demo (Vampire V4)

One of TBL's finest productions so far, "Ocean Machine" AGA/FPU demo running on A500 with Vampire V4 and 68080 alpha 5484 core. Realtime recording with StarTech PEXHDCAP (PAL 720x576@50).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWtIAagvEeo

Focus Design "Aulun Baulund" Amiga AGA Demo (Vampire V4)

Apollo Core rev. 5484 (AGA/FPU) running "Aulun Baulund" by Focus Design on Amiga 500 and Vampire V4 (92MHz). Realtime 720x576@50fps recording (StarTech PEXHDCAP/HDMI).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQLDUaLgVUQ
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 06:58:17 PM by Niding »