Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New open source hardware from OnyxSoft  (Read 1873 times)

Description:

Offline develinTopic starter

New open source hardware from OnyxSoft
« on: April 26, 2016, 11:35:01 PM »
OnyxSoft releases open source hardware =)

JoyDivision

This adapter was created because we missed to be able to control our old games in emulators
with a real controller (Joysticks), just as they where inteded to be played =)
This adapter is created as a HID that doesn't requires any specific drivers (thanks to V-USB which is used).
That means that you just need to plug it in, configure your emulator to use the HID-device and start playing!

One other nifty thing we added to it (also from V-USB package) is that this unit contains a special bootloader
which enables the user to update/replace the firmware without having a special programmer, only a USB-port and
use a software called HIDBootFlash (read more about this procedure below).

Having this bootloader enabled means that one can change the firmware to it's own needs.
We plan to add firmware for other input devices (like Amiga and Atari mices etc.)

The archive contains source code (firmware and bootloader), Schematics, BOM and EAGLE-files.

We also shared the PCB-layout (if someone want to build it themself) at OSH Park :
https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/eoh7Ay5p

ps. we can create adapters for anyone who cannot make it themselfs ofcourse (for a small sum) but consider the first batch
of 20 units went of to users within one day we need to organize it a little and therefor there can be a little wait until
a bigger new batch to be ready. but if you want one, declare your interest at following email : joydivision@onyxsoft.se

Offline Nearly-Right

• Show only replies by Nearly-Right
Re: New open source hardware from OnyxSoft
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 01:06:44 AM »
I'll order 2 of them, if the price is fair, if that's OK - email sent.

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 02:55:34 AM »
Quote from: Nearly-Right;807651
I'll order 2 of them, if the price is fair, if that's OK - email sent.

Thanks!

The price for one unit will be 12 Euros (including shipping) and 22 Euros (including shipping) for 2 devices withing Europe. That is for economy postal service.
If you want it as certified postal service (is that the correct term?) =) it will be around 8 EUR extra.

I'll add you to the list for next batch and sends an email when it's ready!

Offline Lizard

• Show only replies by Lizard
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 09:28:54 AM »
Does this adapter support the 2nd firebutton or the cd32 controller?

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 01:57:07 PM »
Good job!   Excellent work!

Can I use 4 of your adapters at the same time?

(for playing 4 player adapter games such as MineRunner , Space Taxi 3, Amiga Soccer, CrossFire2, LeatherNecks, Circus Games, Eskimo Games, Great Courts 2, Hired Guns, KickOff2, Lotus Turbo Challenge 2, Monsters of Terror, Over the Net, PowerOids, Pro Tennis Tour 2, Super Tennis Champs, Tank Attack, Tankkk, Tie Break Tennis, Tip Off Basketball, TV Sports Basketball, Traders, and tons of other wonderful games that I don't feel like listing)?

Do your adapters support the 2nd firebutton?

Do your adapters support mice properly?

Do your adapters support all 3 mouse buttons?

Do your adapters support all 7 buttons, etc. of CD32 Joysticks?
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 04:43:07 PM »
Quote from: Lizard;807662
Does this adapter support the 2nd firebutton or the cd32 controller?

The included firmware supports 3 buttons per default (I know only 2 buttons are really required for joystick but I added the third one for upcomming mouse firmware). All pins can be used like a "GPIO"-styled I/O-pins, it's just to alter the firmware (which is open source) =)

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 04:50:08 PM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;807669
Good job!   Excellent work!

Can I use 4 of your adapters at the same time?

(for playing 4 player adapter games such as MineRunner , Space Taxi 3, Amiga Soccer, CrossFire2, LeatherNecks, Circus Games, Eskimo Games, Great Courts 2, Hired Guns, KickOff2, Lotus Turbo Challenge 2, Monsters of Terror, Over the Net, PowerOids, Pro Tennis Tour 2, Super Tennis Champs, Tank Attack, Tankkk, Tie Break Tennis, Tip Off Basketball, TV Sports Basketball, Traders, and tons of other wonderful games that I don't feel like listing)?

Do your adapters support the 2nd firebutton?

Do your adapters support mice properly?

Do your adapters support all 3 mouse buttons?

Do your adapters support all 7 buttons, etc. of CD32 Joysticks?

I've only tested with 2 adapters at once and that worked.
If the emulator supports more adapters I see no reason why it shoudln't work =)
I'll check out some of the games you listed and try when time permits, thanks for the info.

Yes, it supports 2nd button by default.

Mouse support is not supported yet but the plan is to create new firmwares which the user can update the unit themselfs. I've got myself a couple of different mices to be able to test the new firmware I'm working with now so it will come, rest assured.

Yes, 3 buttons are defined as input in this current firmware allready

I have no CD32-pad so I havn't added support for that, but if I get hold of one I'll support it for sure. All pins are connected to a programmable pin (except VCC and GND) so basically anyone can adjust it to what they like.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 04:52:12 PM by develin »