Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Hollywood MAL AMIStore App Store A600 Memory

AuthorTopic: Elbox: Black MEDIATORS Available  (Read 2630 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline danbeaver

  • Lifetime Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Mar 2012
  • Posts: 2459
  • Total likes: 1
Re: Elbox: Black MEDIATORS Available
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2015, 02:49:45 AM »
It is not the Zorro III slot that is slow, it is the Buster 11 that limits the speed.
 

Offline kreciu

Re: Elbox: Black MEDIATORS Available
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2015, 03:51:08 AM »
Quote from: Darrin;800407
@ Kreciu:  I've got one in my A4000.  Great piece of kit.  I've got the Radeon card with most of the card's RAM assigned to the system and a great 1920x1080 Workbench.  I have two "Spider" USB cards and a Soudblaster 128 taking up the PCI slots.  On the Zorro side I have a FastATA board for all of my drives and I need to see if I can cram my Emplant card in there too.


Me to I have Mediator TX and I'm quite happy with it, but Mediator TX was "on market" last 7 years and apparently Amiga did not dye! I think today in general people "rediscover" old computers and there is MANY, MANY new users trying to get to idea what were old computers and here Amiga environment allowed the to experience "real old hardware" (other old computers are quite dead...). My point is that there is new market for "new old hardware" for Amiga computers.
A1200inE/BOX/3.1.4/AmigaOS3.9+BB1,2,3,4/060/66Mhz+603+/330Mhz/256Mb/FAST-ATA V /MediatorTX/R9200SE/SpiderUSB/LAN/SB128/16Gb-CF/DVD-ROM/ZIP-250/FDD-HD
PC/AmigaOS4.1/Xeon 1265Lv3  with Amiga Forever 2016!!!.
Dell T600/Win98SE/XP/256Mb/Radeon9600Pro/SBLive!/80Gb/DVD-ROM
Color Classic/System 7.1/030/16Mhz/FPU/10Mb/80Mb HDD
Performa 6400/System 8.6/PPC 603ev180Mhz+G3 350Mhz/Rage128Pro/136Mb/80GB HDD
IBM PC :)
 

Offline Darrin

  • Lifetime Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: May 2002
  • Posts: 4430
  • Total likes: 0
Re: Elbox: Black MEDIATORS Available
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2015, 04:59:08 AM »
Quote from: kreciu;800411
My point is that there is new market for "new old hardware" for Amiga computers.


Ah, with you.  I think the main problem is that big box A3000/4000 Amigas are becoming harder to find in working order and the A1200 needs to be in a tower for the Mediator.  So, I don't think there is a new market, just us old farts who want to squeeze a bit more performance out of our trusty old machines.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.
 

Offline LoadWB

Re: Elbox: Black MEDIATORS Available
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2015, 06:00:18 AM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;800396
?

Current EUR --> USD exchange rates are the lowest they've been in a decade.  These would be $346.64 USD not $600.  If I owned a 4000D I'd snap one of these up in a heartbeat.  :hammer:


I dunno, man.  I'm waffling on it.  I have a 4000D with a Picasso IV and a Deneb USB.  I have a difficult time justifying it for this system since between these two cards I have everything I need.

Now, if I were to go on a hoarder rampage, I might to build another desktop system or to hold onto as the collectible value will inevitably increase and some collector might pay me a nice premium in the future.

I guess.  In any case, I'm just not compelled right now.  Not saying I couldn't be persuaded for that price, but I just can't bring myself to it.
 

Offline danbeaver

  • Lifetime Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Mar 2012
  • Posts: 2459
  • Total likes: 1
Re: Elbox: Black MEDIATORS Available
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2015, 06:29:58 AM »
Quote from: LoadWB;800417
I dunno, man.  I'm waffling on it.  I have a 4000D with a Picasso IV and a Deneb USB.  I have a difficult time justifying it for this system since between these two cards I have everything I need.

Now, if I were to go on a hoarder rampage, I might to build another desktop system or to hold onto as the collectible value will inevitably increase and some collector might pay me a nice premium in the future.

I guess.  In any case, I'm just not compelled right now.  Not saying I couldn't be persuaded for that price, but I just can't bring myself to it.

Well, when someone goes out freshly these days looking for a Picasso IV and a Deneb, they are looking at spending about $400 plus $300 USD (or $700 USD total) with a long wait time for them to show up for sale; a Mediator, fully loaded would be < $500 USD instead, and the wait time would be only a few weeks as it crawled from Poland to its destination.
 

Offline Acill

Re: Elbox: Black MEDIATORS Available
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2015, 07:17:46 AM »
Just picked up a Voodoo 5 5500 for my 4000T Mediator. Do you know if I need to plug in one of the power connectors to the board? It has a molex on it. I'm about to put my mediator back in and see if I can get it working for the first time in awhile. Haven done one since my A3000 towered system several years back.
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics
 

Offline danbeaver

  • Lifetime Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Mar 2012
  • Posts: 2459
  • Total likes: 1
Re: Elbox: Black MEDIATORS Available
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2015, 08:55:51 AM »
Quote from: Acill;800423
Just picked up a Voodoo 5 5500 for my 4000T Mediator. Do you know if I need to plug in one of the power connectors to the board? It has a molex on it. I'm about to put my mediator back in and see if I can get it working for the first time in awhile. Haven done one since my A3000 towered system several years back.

I used the power connector when I had that board, but only one CPU is used by the driver, the board is noisy, and not really much faster than a Voodoo 4 (4500)...
 

Offline nicholas

Re: Elbox: Black MEDIATORS Available
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2015, 09:12:08 AM »
Quote from: danbeaver;800424
I used the power connector when I had that board, but only one CPU is used by the driver, the board is noisy, and not really much faster than a Voodoo 4 (4500)...

 I used to have one in my A1200 tower many years ago, it sucked a lot of juice and was a tad unstable compared to my Voodoo 3.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini
 

Offline kreciu

Re: Elbox: Black MEDIATORS Available
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2015, 11:48:13 AM »
Quote from: Darrin;800413
 So, I don't think there is a new market, just us old farts who want to squeeze a bit more performance out of our trusty old machines.


I'm not THAT old... but in some way you are right. Old farts want to see their Amiga be as fast as possible, since 20+ years ago thierAmigas could not run 256 color in reasonable speeds. So, in some way "old Mediator" is still "new Mediator". It is like adding GTX 980ti 6GB for my A1200 :) and my Workbench would work almost the same as on VirgeDX 4MB.
A1200inE/BOX/3.1.4/AmigaOS3.9+BB1,2,3,4/060/66Mhz+603+/330Mhz/256Mb/FAST-ATA V /MediatorTX/R9200SE/SpiderUSB/LAN/SB128/16Gb-CF/DVD-ROM/ZIP-250/FDD-HD
PC/AmigaOS4.1/Xeon 1265Lv3  with Amiga Forever 2016!!!.
Dell T600/Win98SE/XP/256Mb/Radeon9600Pro/SBLive!/80Gb/DVD-ROM
Color Classic/System 7.1/030/16Mhz/FPU/10Mb/80Mb HDD
Performa 6400/System 8.6/PPC 603ev180Mhz+G3 350Mhz/Rage128Pro/136Mb/80GB HDD
IBM PC :)
 

Offline kreciu

Re: Elbox: Black MEDIATORS Available
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2015, 11:53:44 AM »
Quote from: danbeaver;800419
Well, when someone goes out freshly these days looking for a Picasso IV and a Deneb, they are looking at spending about $400 plus $300 USD (or $700 USD total) with a long wait time for them to show up for sale; a Mediator, fully loaded would be < $500 USD instead, and the wait time would be only a few weeks as it crawled from Poland to its destination.

Absolutely. Considering what you get technically out of Mediator (GPU, network, sound etc.) this solution is much better and cheaper then anything out there. Picasso IV vs. Voodoo 3 or 4 or... Only one exception is problem of putting PC cards into Amiga :spitting on the floor: and using Sound Blaster to listen Amiga mods :never!: ;). (I can't play Canon Fodder theme under UAE it is just wrong ;) )

PS. Amigakit will deliver Mediator within week...
A1200inE/BOX/3.1.4/AmigaOS3.9+BB1,2,3,4/060/66Mhz+603+/330Mhz/256Mb/FAST-ATA V /MediatorTX/R9200SE/SpiderUSB/LAN/SB128/16Gb-CF/DVD-ROM/ZIP-250/FDD-HD
PC/AmigaOS4.1/Xeon 1265Lv3  with Amiga Forever 2016!!!.
Dell T600/Win98SE/XP/256Mb/Radeon9600Pro/SBLive!/80Gb/DVD-ROM
Color Classic/System 7.1/030/16Mhz/FPU/10Mb/80Mb HDD
Performa 6400/System 8.6/PPC 603ev180Mhz+G3 350Mhz/Rage128Pro/136Mb/80GB HDD
IBM PC :)
 

Offline aggro_mix

Re: Elbox: Black MEDIATORS Available
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2015, 12:37:03 PM »
Quote from: kreciu;800429
Absolutely. Considering what you get technically out of Mediator (GPU, network, sound etc.) this solution is much better and cheaper then anything out there.


The Mediator and Mirage tower are probably the best things I ever bought for my A3k!
 

Offline LoadWB

Re: Elbox: Black MEDIATORS Available
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2015, 02:18:45 PM »
Quote from: kreciu;800429
Absolutely. Considering what you get technically out of Mediator (GPU, network, sound etc.) this solution is much better and cheaper then anything out there. Picasso IV vs. Voodoo 3 or 4 or... Only one exception is problem of putting PC cards into Amiga :spitting on the floor: and using Sound Blaster to listen Amiga mods :never!: ;). (I can't play Canon Fodder theme under UAE it is just wrong ;) )

PS. Amigakit will deliver Mediator within week...


You're both right, but I already have the two cards and I have an 1152x768 24-bit Workbench with built-in 15kHz FF/SD and pass-through, 100Mb/s network, USB sound, wireless USB keyboard/mouse, and USB card reader.  I couldn't justify replacing this setup.  But it's a really good price for Amiga PCI.

Plus, that just sounds cool.  PCI in my Amiga.  AAAARRRRRRGH!!
 

Offline Darrin

  • Lifetime Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: May 2002
  • Posts: 4430
  • Total likes: 0
Re: Elbox: Black MEDIATORS Available
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2015, 02:25:51 AM »
Quote from: LoadWB;800417
I dunno, man.  I'm waffling on it.  I have a 4000D with a Picasso IV and a Deneb USB.  I have a difficult time justifying it for this system since between these two cards I have everything I need.

Now, if I were to go on a hoarder rampage, I might to build another desktop system or to hold onto as the collectible value will inevitably increase and some collector might pay me a nice premium in the future.

I guess.  In any case, I'm just not compelled right now.  Not saying I couldn't be persuaded for that price, but I just can't bring myself to it.


I justified mine because it allowed me to put my Deneb and Cybervision643D in my A2000.  :)
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.
 

Offline Lurch

  • Lifetime Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Dec 2003
  • Posts: 1716
  • Total likes: 0
Re: Elbox: Black MEDIATORS Available
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2015, 08:25:11 AM »
So I'm not seeing any difference between this black version and my green TX mediator?
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub
 

Offline kreciu

Re: Elbox: Black MEDIATORS Available
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2015, 03:47:14 PM »
Quote from: Lurch;800469
So I'm not seeing any difference between this black version and my green TX mediator?

You don't have red LED... Time to upgrade.
A1200inE/BOX/3.1.4/AmigaOS3.9+BB1,2,3,4/060/66Mhz+603+/330Mhz/256Mb/FAST-ATA V /MediatorTX/R9200SE/SpiderUSB/LAN/SB128/16Gb-CF/DVD-ROM/ZIP-250/FDD-HD
PC/AmigaOS4.1/Xeon 1265Lv3  with Amiga Forever 2016!!!.
Dell T600/Win98SE/XP/256Mb/Radeon9600Pro/SBLive!/80Gb/DVD-ROM
Color Classic/System 7.1/030/16Mhz/FPU/10Mb/80Mb HDD
Performa 6400/System 8.6/PPC 603ev180Mhz+G3 350Mhz/Rage128Pro/136Mb/80GB HDD
IBM PC :)