Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Minimig AGA for the MiST v1.1  (Read 3944 times)

Description:

Offline mahenTopic starter

• Show only replies by mahen
    • http://mahen.free.fr
Re: Minimig AGA for the MiST v1.1
« Reply #14 from previous page: September 13, 2015, 02:36:56 PM »
Please think twice before replacing your Amiga with a Raspberry Pi (if it's for Amiga emulation purpose). You're bound to have sync, 50 Hz, input delay, performance, blurriness... issues. Depends on your criterias of course, and the situation will probably improve eventually. Will be more compatible than a MiST, for the time being, though, but the overall experience is not comparable. (IMHO)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 03:53:56 PM by mahen »

Offline Everblue

• Show only replies by Everblue
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2015, 04:09:49 PM »
I think the only important thing Mist lacks is HDMI.

Offline IanP

• Show only replies by IanP
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2015, 07:01:54 PM »
Is there a wi-fi or ethernet solution for MiST?

Offline IanP

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2015, 07:21:40 PM »
I see ethernet is on the TODO list along with RTG and AHI. The ST core already has ethernet support YouTube vid.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 07:23:49 PM by IanP »

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2015, 08:15:17 PM »
Quote from: IanP;795553
I believe the Keyrah is designed to be powered via the hosts USB. I would hope it has a relatively low current draw similar to a normal USB keyboard/controller.

So I could move the Raspberry Pi inside the case further and then use a USB hub for the external ports that way I could possibly keep all the cabling inside the case.

Quote from: IanP;795557
Lurch, transparent cases are 79 Euro, it's one of the standard case base colour options. A keycaps / A1200 keyboard kickstarter is also planned. I don't know if it will only happen if this kickstarter fails but if they both reach their goals I would imagine there's a good chance of the keyboards being ready before the cases.

Good to know, I've always wanted a transparent case. 79 Euro is probably as much as I would pay for a new case.

Hopefully they reach their goals this time.
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline Everblue

• Show only replies by Everblue
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2015, 06:30:24 AM »
I have my doubts regarding this Kickstarter, even though I have pledged myself. It seems like it is completely stuck, same like it did with the first launch, sure there is plenty of time left, but like with every Kickstarter, interested people would have pledged within the first couple of days already.

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2015, 11:03:24 AM »
I've decided that the project sounds far fetched. Why not get a slimcase and modify it for the A1200. I hope they get the funding though, I might be proven wrong.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline AmiDude

• Show only replies by AmiDude
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2015, 11:09:23 AM »
Never mind...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 11:46:19 AM by AmiDude »

Offline IanP

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2015, 11:15:01 AM »
There are still fewer backers than the first attempt and Philippe Lang said that many of the backers for the second try were new ones which suggest either the message hasn't got out fully or something is preventing the old backers from returning. In regards to the message, it's harder to generate publicity the second time for something that failed the first time, it's "old news". The second attempt is buried in old threads on some of the Amiga forums. What else could be preventing old backers from returning? I know there was a lot of negativity about the campaign on at least one European forum but I'm not sure what it was about. There always seems to be some negativity in the Amiga community. Some of the original backers may have missed out on the limited edition they pledged on originally as the Lukash and Scoopex cases went very quickly so maybe they haven't pledge again yet.

The campaign needs to average about 1200 Euros a day from now on to hit the goal but over the weekend it only averaged about 1000 Euros. I really hope this campaign works and delivers, it's touch and go at the moment.

Offline Tygre

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2015, 10:21:52 PM »
@all

This is very interesting news! Could someone explain me the difference between the FPGA Arcade and the MiST? I am confused because both are FPGA-based and can run AGA games...

Thanks! :)

Offline matthey

• Show only replies by matthey
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2015, 11:17:17 PM »
Quote from: Tygre;795634

This is very interesting news! Could someone explain me the difference between the FPGA Arcade and the MiST? I am confused because both are FPGA-based and can run AGA games...

They both use a configurable FPGA to reproduce hardware logic (more efficient and accurate than emulation). What they do is pretty much the same but how they do it and what features they have varies significantly.

Offline mahenTopic starter

• Show only replies by mahen
    • http://mahen.free.fr
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2015, 08:40:17 AM »
Someone asked about the speed. I measured with the Minimig AGA "newcpu" core 1.0,with SysInfo : CPU speed was on par with a 65 MHz 68030. (although the emulated CPU is a 020). It's better than what I had back in the days so I'm happy ;)

The readme of version 1.1 says CPU speed was reduced a little bit to increase stability / compatibility, but I guess there is still room for improvements as there was a HUGE increase between the previous beta and version 1.0.

The current problem is compatibility. Former ECS core was close to 100% compatible. The current AGA one has issues at the moment but it's very recent (first public version at the end of june). Actually, quite a few AGA games have graphical glitches, and some require the "Turbo chipset" mode to be fullspeed, which reduces ECS compatiblity. Temporary workaround, but I'm quite confident :) That's why I disable the TURBO mode most of the time. I can play my favorite AGA games perfectly : Slam Tilt and Roadkill !

As for the MiST vs FPGAArcade. From a user point of view, they are not so different for the time being. The MiST has more cores and features from a software point a view for the time being, probably because the it is way cheaper and more widely available. From a hardware point of view, the FPGAArcade is supposed to be much better though (larger & faster FPGA, better audio converter, future 060 daughterboard support, DVI output...). However, the MiST has some cool stuff built-in (4 USB, 2 MIDI ports, USB power input).

Also, it's important to note that the cores developements are separate. The MiST Amiga core is built upon the Minimig one and the FPGAArcade seems to follow its own route. Same for the Atari ST core. There is cooperation regarding the TG68 (68k emulation), though.

In the long run, we can expect great stuff like Ethernet, RTG and AHI support. If those meet enough success and maybe if other developers jump in I guess :)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 08:51:10 AM by mahen »

Offline matthey

• Show only replies by matthey
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2015, 06:59:28 PM »
Quote from: mahen;795650
Someone asked about the speed. I measured with the Minimig AGA "newcpu" core 1.0,with SysInfo : CPU speed was on par with a 65 MHz 68030. (although the emulated CPU is a 020). It's better than what I had back in the days so I'm happy ;)

SysInfo's CPU performance measuring is a joke. The 68020 actually has more integer instructions than the 68030 although there is a good chance that CALLM and RTM are not even emulated in any FPGA CPU cores. The 68030 received an MMU (with instructions) which is mostly not used on the Amiga and a data cache. There is very little difference between a 68020 and 68030 on the Amiga as far as compatibility.

It is possible to reach 68040 and possibly even 68060 integer performance in an FPGA like the Mist or FPGA Arcade uses. Maximum performance is unlikely to be seen in these devices because the CPU cores are not that advanced and target maximum compatibility instead of performance.

Quote from: mahen;795650
In the long run, we can expect great stuff like Ethernet, RTG and AHI support. If those meet enough success and maybe if other developers jump in I guess :)

Maybe if open standards and cooperation reduces the amount of work needed to bring these kinds of boards out. Informing the Amiga community about these products might help their success but seems to be a slow process.

Mist info and de facto forum:

http://harbaum.org/till/mist/index.shtml
http://www.atari-forum.com/viewforum.php?f=101

FPGA Arcade info and forum:

http://www.fpgaarcade.com/replay/
http://www.fpgaarcade.com/punbb/

There are various threads on this site and others like EAB if searching for topics like the board names or FPGA. There are also various youtube videos.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 07:10:37 PM by matthey »