Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OOOOOOO….what could THIS be  (Read 14687 times)

Description:

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
Re: OOOOOOO….what could THIS be
« Reply #104 from previous page: April 04, 2011, 12:36:39 AM »
Quote from: Karlos;627343
Is it going to be better quality than the PC I already have for an equivalent price?

Somehow, I strongly doubt it.

I will have to consult my Magic 8 Ball since I have no idea on what you are using or if it's home built vs factory built.   I know who he is having the work done in China, he is a very lucky man with many deep connections.  To give you an example of the quality Barry is expecting, he is a solid Apple guy.  Take that as you will.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline nicholas

OOOOOOO….what could THIS be
« Reply #105 on: April 04, 2011, 12:41:04 AM »
Quote from: dammy;627453
I will have to consult my Magic 8 Ball since I have no idea on what you are using or if it's home built vs factory built.   I know who he is having the work done in China, he is a very lucky man with many deep connections.  To give you an example of the quality Barry is expecting, he is a solid Apple guy.  Take that as you will.

Are you a member of his lodge yet Randy?
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #106 on: April 04, 2011, 12:44:41 AM »
Quote from: dammy;627453

Well, it's a home build with some (at the time) carefully selected parts - was being a bit of a snob.

In reality, if the stuff is as well-built as some of apple's desktop kit then fair play. However, looking at the website, the products listed at the moment don't give me that impression.
int p; // A

Offline nicholas

OOOOOOO….what could THIS be
« Reply #107 on: April 04, 2011, 12:52:40 AM »
Anyone else notice the parallels between the CUSA fanboys and the old Bouma brigade?
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Wayne

• Winning!
    • Show only replies by Wayne
    • http://www.whyzzat.com
« Reply #108 on: April 04, 2011, 01:18:30 AM »
Quote from: Digiman;627441
I can only suspect site is now owned by A Inc or a close supporter of them reading your drivel.
Then you sir, are an idiot.  :)

I have no horse in this race.  I stick around here simply because I've been here since day one.  Erm, scratch that.  BEFORE day zero, back when Amiga.org was just a dream and all we had was the single-line NASAU Beach BBS..  I *used* to be one of the aforementioned Amiga zealots, then I grew up and realized that there would never be anything new and moved on.  I'm NOT trying to suggest immaturity on the part of anyone who still loves the Amiga, I just don't get it any more.  Nothing (IMHO) wrong with that.

I'm a self-professed "Apple Fanboy" now for a lot of reasons.  The first and foremost being that they're hella good machines that I don't have to stress and dinker with to get to work.  

The current iMac on my desk is very much what Amiga SHOULD HAVE become, and even could have if only people had listened 11 years ago.

Real plug and play.  You plug something into the mac.  If it doesn't work, 99.9% chance it's broke.  a 27" backlit monitor, 3.06 ghz speed, and I mean REAL speed, as opposed to "hampered by Windows speed" and an excellent software base as well as community.

If anything, I'm just frustrated by the legions of missed opportunities to wash away the stink that is the "classic" since the Gateway days, and it frustrates me to see the blindly devoted "Amiga" worshipers happily trash anything that doesn't run classic (not to mention 20-year-old) (cr)apps.

Look.  I know that most of you think futzing with the Amigas is fun.  If I offend anyone with my tirades, I apologize, and yes, I may be an idiot to most of you, but at least you can't accuse me of not being honest with how I feel about it.

Do I think that Amiga-branded chinese knockoff Android tablets are the best idea ever?  Nope.  Unlike most people here though, I am however willing to sit back and watch AI try to run with it and see if they can actually do anything unique before I start trashing them for their efforts.

Wayne
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 01:23:13 AM by Wayne »
//* Signature Free *//

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #109 on: April 04, 2011, 02:11:43 AM »
"If anything, I'm just frustrated by the legions of missed opportunities  to wash away the stink that is the "classic" since the Gateway days, and  it frustrates me to see the blindly devoted "Amiga" worshipers happily  trash anything that doesn't run classic (not to mention 20-year-old)  (cr)apps.

Look.  I know that most of you think futzing with the Amigas is fun.  If  I offend anyone with my tirades, I apologize, and yes, I may be an  idiot to most of you, but at least you can't accuse me of not being  honest with how I feel about it.
"

Way to go Wayne.The missed opportunities ARE the most painful part of Amiga.
And even more painful is seeing something like the computer you're using and realizing that we should have done at least that well (or better).
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #110 on: April 04, 2011, 02:42:27 AM »
To be fair "made in china" can mean anything for absolute cr@p to top of the line.  They cover it all.  Foxconn (the makers of iPad) may be Taiwanese but all their factories are in China....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #111 on: April 04, 2011, 03:07:50 AM »
Quote from: persia;627504
To be fair "made in china" can mean anything for absolute cr@p to top of the line.  They cover it all.  Foxconn (the makers of iPad) may be Taiwanese but all their factories are in China....

And their workers are suicidal. Frankly, I feel that there's been a drop in quality since everyone (including the Taiwanese) switched to Chinese production.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #112 on: April 04, 2011, 04:44:26 AM »
Quote from: Wayne;627468
.....Do I think that Amiga-branded chinese knockoff Android tablets are the best idea ever?  Nope.  Unlike most people here though, I am however willing to sit back and watch AI try to run with it and see if they can actually do anything unique before I start trashing them for their efforts.

Wayne

based on their past ..cough cough..Amiga projects I strongly doubt anything 'unique' will come of this (at least on AI's end as CUSA at a minimum made a cool looking retro case).

Sadly AI is just trying (yet again) to sheyster a few bucks off some poor souls that fondly remember the Amiga name:(
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #113 on: April 04, 2011, 06:49:52 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;627514
And their workers are suicidal. Frankly, I feel that there's been a drop in quality since everyone (including the Taiwanese) switched to Chinese production.

The suicide thing was a lot of hot air.  The rate of suicides among their employees does not exceed that of the general population.

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #114 on: April 04, 2011, 08:49:56 AM »
This is just another android tablet clone, $150 NZD, and an Amiga theme for it ;-)
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #115 on: April 04, 2011, 08:55:34 AM »
Quote from: Wayne;627468

The current iMac on my desk is very much what Amiga SHOULD HAVE become, and even could have if only people had listened 11 years ago.

Real plug and play.  You plug something into the mac.  If it doesn't work, 99.9% chance it's broke.  a 27" backlit monitor, 3.06 ghz speed, and I mean REAL speed, as opposed to "hampered by Windows speed" and an excellent software base as well as community.

So you do realise that windows 7 is as fast if not faster than the snow leopard.

As for the "real plug and play" i have noticed no difference between Windows 7 and snow leopard. Can you provide examples?

But i do agree Apple do make great desktops and i really enjoy using them. The imacs have the best construction i can think of in a computer :)
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #116 on: April 04, 2011, 09:33:29 AM »
Windows 7 is a really good OS, fast, stable and can find 98% of hardware out there. Windows update actually works and installs drivers with no problems.

Only hardware that wont work is really old legacy stuff, but then if you are still trying to use 10 year old gear on a PC you're crazy (sounds strange coming from an Amiga user ;-)).

If you must have XP it has an XP mode (virtual machine basically) works 100%.

Vista was a dog, I beta tested that for a corp enviroment for awhile. So many issues, it was basically a Windows ME.

Windows XP is fine, running that at work in a military environment with no issues. Although hardware companies will slowly drop support for XP. Which is as it should be. The OS has reached it's EOL.

Android is a good OS, it's starting to really evolve. OSX is okay, but I found it limiting and it's no good in a corp world. Great for home use however, although the limiting factor there is gaming.

Ubuntu is also good, although some games I have wont run under it. Other than that it makes a good OS at home. Although no good for work at this point in time.

We need to run a stable, supported OS on base as you can imagine if it went wrong it could be a bag of giggles when a ship takes out a friendly ;-)
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #117 on: April 04, 2011, 09:45:47 AM »
Quote from: Lurch;627625

If you must have XP it has an XP mode (virtual machine basically) works 100%.

Really? tell me where i want to try it!

I really like windows 7. It leave everything else in its wake :)
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #118 on: April 04, 2011, 11:32:01 AM »
Quote from: Wayne
Multiple excellent posts
You, good Sir, made a perfect summary of what's wrong with the Amiga community today.
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #119 on: April 04, 2011, 11:52:32 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;627632
Really? tell me where i want to try it!

I really like windows 7. It leave everything else in its wake :)

Just type in XP mode into the internet. Its basically a free copy of xp running under VM. Now even works if your CPu does not support hardware virtualisation.   I think you need at least home premium version and up of windows 7
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"