Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Interview with Trevor Dickinson  (Read 13901 times)

Description:

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
Re: Interview with Trevor Dickinson
« Reply #134 from previous page: July 02, 2010, 08:32:33 PM »
Quote from: koaftder;568636
Rouge

:lol:
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline ffastback

• Show only replies by ffastback
« Reply #135 on: July 02, 2010, 08:34:16 PM »
Quote from: koaftder;568641
That's some selective quoting there.

The later parts are just excuses to make it look like there's a future in PPC for the platform because obviously they're not going to flat out admit they're  running up against a wall. If they actually had the resources to port to IA32/AMD 64 and continue supporting the existing users, they'd do it in a heart beat.

Thats a perception issue.  You perceive they are lying at the end with "just excuses".  You said that I was talking crap as if they never uttered such talk, but I was right, they did.  So on that you are not really making any kind of point.

Personally I don't see them lying per-se at the end of that post with "just excuses".  I tend to believe more that they have somehow convinced themselves that what they are saying makes sense, even though it does not in real world terms and even though they should know better.

Again, they state it as a reason they want to stay PPC and all I said was that according to Hyperion the reason is not just because it will "take too much work" to go x86.  Whether someone choose to believe them on that or not is an entirely different issue.  

As a for instance I personally find the claim of the money spent so far (as of June 2009) more likely to be BS if anything on the "HyperionMP list of reasons not to go x86"
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 08:36:28 PM by ffastback »

Offline the_leander

« Reply #136 on: July 02, 2010, 08:41:46 PM »
Quote from: ffastback;568644

Words.

Comparing the quote of a lawyer and noted liar to that of a developer, you know, someone who actually has half a clue as to what is going on really is a stretch, even for you.
Blessed Be,

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #137 on: July 02, 2010, 08:55:40 PM »
Quote from: ffastback;568644
Thats a perception issue.  You perceive they are lying at the end with "just excuses".  You said that I was talking crap as if they never uttered such talk, but I was right, they did.  So on that you are not really making any kind of point.

Personally I don't see them lying per-se at the end of that post with "just excuses".  I tend to believe more that they have somehow convinced themselves that what they are saying makes sense, even though it does not in real world terms and even though they should know better.

Again, they state it as a reason they want to stay PPC and all I said was that according to Hyperion the reason is not just because it will "take too much work" to go x86.  Whether someone choose to believe them on that or not is an entirely different issue.  

As a for instance I personally find the claim of the money spent so far (as of June 2009) more likely to be BS if anything on the "HyperionMP list of reasons not to go x86"

You have HyperionMP saying one thing, and Rouge saying another. I'll take what Rouge has to say as being more important than who ever the hell HyperionMP is considering Rouge is actually involved in the development. It's a shame that on more than one occasion moderators at AWN have moderated his posts covering up for Hyperion. When Rouge posts drunk on the site and roasts a user over the coals, y'all should just let to post stand.

The main point HyperionMP made was that they don't have the resources. The justified sticking to PPC by making up weak sauce. In reality, they're sticking to PPC because that's their ball and chain.

Also, I never said you were "talking crap", go back an reread the post I wrote. I asked, "where do you get this crap from", in other words, what on earth leads you to these conclusions.

Offline mongo

• Show only replies by mongo
« Reply #138 on: July 02, 2010, 08:56:11 PM »
Quote from: the_leander;568642

You will not find any such chip currently on any manufacturers books.

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=P4080

Offline the_leander

« Reply #139 on: July 02, 2010, 09:05:14 PM »
Blessed Be,

Offline ffastback

« Reply #140 on: July 02, 2010, 09:08:30 PM »
Quote from: the_leander;568642

First off: Citation needed. Both for where this claim came from and the claim itself.

You'd have to talk to HyperionMP about him backing up his claim on the roadmap.  I am merely saying Hyperion has said they believe in PPC, which clearly they have indicated.  If you think thats silly (I do as well) or a lie (I doubt, maybe you don't) is another issue entirely.  One you could take up with HyperionMP I suppose, if you cared to.

HyperionMP, aka Ben Hermans, not exactly a tech guy or known for his honesty.

Be that as it may, Amigaheretic eats up Ben's claim of resources being one issue.  I have merely listed another issue mentioned by the same exact source.  What parts someone chooses to believe from a "guy... (not) known for his honesty" is up to each person.  Either way, Hyperion seems quite set in stone with this decision, no matter what the reals, real, imagined, or made-up

Offline the_leander

« Reply #141 on: July 02, 2010, 09:21:51 PM »
Quote from: ffastback;568650
You'd have to talk to HyperionMP about him backing up his claim on the roadmap.

Nono, you misunderstand. I'm asking you for a link back to where this was said.

You bitched quite a bit yesterday about how some folk on moobunny quote things out of context without any citation. Yet here you are apparently doing exactly the same.

I'm just expecting you to live up to the standard you demand from others.

As to the roadmap, mongo has supplied that.

Quote from: ffastback;568650

Be that as it may, Amigaheretic eats up Ben's claim of resources being one issue.  I have merely listed another issue mentioned by the same exact source.  What parts someone chooses to believe from a "guy... (not) known for his honesty" is up to each person.  Either way, Hyperion seems quite set in stone with this decision, no matter what the reals, real, imagined, or made-up

I take the view that a noted liar is always lying unless they back up what they say with evidence.

Btw, the prices for the e500mc, as pointed out by mongo are ~$350 each per tray of 100 - only 2 3rds of the cost of the PA6T and I would imagine far more interesting from the perspective of geeks and devs from outside the Amiga scene than the latter. And they have a follow on chip in the works according to wikipedia.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 09:27:38 PM by the_leander »
Blessed Be,

Offline ffastback

« Reply #142 on: July 02, 2010, 09:22:37 PM »
Quote from: koaftder;568647
The justified sticking to PPC by making up weak sauce. In reality, they're sticking to PPC because that's their ball and chain.

Considering they probably hardly make any money I find it hard to believe they don't believe in at least some of what they say.  Is that delusional?  Sure.  But after all whats the difference between porting to x86 for almost no money vs. to just another PPC board for almost no money?

Offline the_leander

« Reply #143 on: July 02, 2010, 09:29:06 PM »
Quote from: ffastback;568652
Considering they probably hardly make any money I find it hard to believe they don't believe in at least some of what they say.  Is that delusional?  Sure.  But after all whats the difference between porting to x86 for almost no money vs. to just another PPC board for almost no money?

Power over the users, stroking their own egos, not having to admit that they were wrong from the start to go with PPC?
Blessed Be,

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #144 on: July 02, 2010, 09:37:50 PM »
Quote from: ffastback;568652

Dude, if AOS 4 was ported to IA32/AMD64 and they offered three models: a) budget b) midrange c) fancy, every AOS 4 fan boy would buy one the next day. And they wouldn't have to support every thing under the sun, just the crap they stuff in their boxes and they could solve the security problem with a cheap ass usb dongle. There would be plenty of profit and they'd suck in users from the other camps not to mention old timers and folks into esoteric stuff. The problem is, they're incompetent and running on fumes.

They've run into some money and they're blowing it on a last hurrah to net perhaps 100 users for a new platform that uses a chip that's obsolete and out of production. I look forward to seeing that ship burn and sink to the bottom of the ocean.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #145 on: July 02, 2010, 09:52:14 PM »
USB dongles would fall off every time you picked up the machine.  Desktop units are dead, nobody buys them anymore.

Quote from: koaftder;568655
Dude, if AOS 4 was ported to IA32/AMD64 and they offered three models: a) budget b) midrange c) fancy, every AOS 4 fan boy would buy one the next day. And they wouldn't have to support every thing under the sun, just the crap they stuff in their boxes and they could solve the security problem with a cheap ass usb dongle. There would be plenty of profit and they'd suck in users from the other camps not to mention old timers and folks into esoteric stuff. The problem is, they're incompetent and running on fumes.

They've run into some money and they're blowing it on a last hurrah to net perhaps 100 users for a new platform that uses a chip that's obsolete and out of production. I look forward to seeing that ship burn and sink to the bottom of the ocean.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline ffastback

« Reply #146 on: July 02, 2010, 09:52:40 PM »
Quote from: koaftder;568647
It's a shame that on more than one occasion moderators at AWN have moderated his posts covering up for Hyperion. When Rouge posts drunk on the site and roasts a user over the coals, y'all should just let to post stand.

Which mods?  Which posts?  Do you think we have conspiracy meetings in the mod forums?  I would suspect if something was removed it was removed for the content being inappropriate for the site.  If someone wanted to hide something they'd delete entire posts and/or threads no?

Offline ffastback

« Reply #147 on: July 02, 2010, 09:56:26 PM »
Quote from: koaftder;568655

You make it sound as if Trevor gifted them a ton of money to do whatever they would want with it.  I have seen no evidence of that.

The problem is, they're incompetent and running on fumes.

Well you may still be in for a long wait to see the "ship burn and sink to the bottom of the ocean".  They've ran on no visible income of real substance for years now.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #148 on: July 02, 2010, 10:12:12 PM »
Quote from: the_leander;568653
...not having to admit that they were wrong from the start to go with PPC?

I often think this is a bit of an irrelevant point these days. I don't see either OS4 or MorphOS jumping to x86 any time soon. Technical issues aside, how would they compete with AROS?
int p; // A

Offline EDanaII

• Show only replies by EDanaII
    • http://www.EdwardGDanaII.info
« Reply #149 on: July 03, 2010, 01:41:13 AM »
They could easily compete against AROS, Karlos. A professionally supported OS could move much faster and capture more users than an Open Sourced OS does, at least, in theory.

Two cents...
Ed.