Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Public Release of MorphOS 2.5 & Introduction of eMac Support  (Read 15094 times)

Description:

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
Quote from: redrumloa;562736
Wow, eMacs are cheap!

http://computers.shop.ebay.com/Apple-Desktops-/111418/i.html?_nkw=emac+1.25&_catref=1&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

Yeah they are cheap, but those prices aren't even the cheapest I have seen.  In fact, I have seen many eMacs priced at well below $100 and some below $50 US dollars.  Even though some people still complain about the price of a MorphOS license, how can anyone not realize the excellent performance they can get for a very small price by getting a G4 eMac or MacMini and a MorphOS2.5 license key to run their Amiga programs and MorphOS specific PPC programs.  With E-UAE for MorphOS they can even run all their old hardware banging Amiga games.

For the curious Amiga users that just want to check out MorphOS, they can now buy a very cheap G4 eMac (if they are lucky they might find one for less than $50 US dollars, or even for free) and then download the demo version of MorphOS2.5 that runs without any restrictions for approx. 30 minutes, then slows down, until they decide if they want to buy the MorphOS license key.  IMHO there is no reason to not try it out now if you have any interest in seeing what it is like.

It does not surprise me that MorphOS support for the G4 eMac models has come before any PowerMac models, as there has already been some mention by members of the MorphOS Development Team that work on the PowerMac support was taking longer than they had first anticipated.  Hopefully support for the G4 PowerMac models will come out before the end of this year, but no one outside the dev team has any idea of how much more work needs to be completed before that can happen.

I am happy to see the steady progress they continue to make and the increase of available hardware models that MorphOS runs on.

Congratulations MorphOS Dev. Team and keep up the great work.  Competition and different choices for Amiga users past and present is a good thing in many ways (but not all).
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
Re: Public Release of MorphOS 2.5 & Introduction of eMac Support
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 02:18:06 AM »
111.11 Euros!  That is also great news.  If they will allow me to pre-purchase a license key for a PowerMac at that lower price now and wait until support is finished, I would send them the money tomorrow and double my search for a suitable G4 PowerMac.  I have already purchased a MorphOS supported PowerMac graphics card in anticipation of the future release of a MorphOS version that will support the G4 PowerMac.

Edit:  Nice list of improvements since version 2.4, can't wait to download and install it on both my Efika and my G4 MacMini.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 02:46:22 AM by amigadave »

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
Re: Public Release of MorphOS 2.5 & Introduction of eMac Support
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 02:58:47 AM »
@Piru,

Are there any new videos of MorphOS2.5 running or being installed on an eMac?

Or perhaps any new videos of MorphOS2.5 new features running on any system?

@spihunter,

I am going to contact a friend of mine that works at a school that may have a few dozen G4 eMac's that they want to get rid of very cheaply.  If I can get several of them for next to nothing, I am going to install the Demo of MorphOS2.5 on them and offer them to anyone that wants one at the same price it costs me to get them.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 03:02:58 AM by amigadave »