Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Public Release of MorphOS 2.5 & Introduction of eMac Support  (Read 15036 times)

Description:

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
Re: Public Release of MorphOS 2.5 & Introduction of eMac Support
« Reply #59 from previous page: June 04, 2010, 09:03:48 PM »
Quote from: kolla;562900
And piracy? Copying to friends computer?

Nobodt have to copy MorphOS to friends computer. Everyone can download the latest version from the MorphOS website.

In old times when MorphOS 1.5 was leaked there apparently were mysterious "MorphOS betatesters" running MorphOS 1.5 they downloaded for free from somewhere. If you talked to right persons you could get image via /dcc on #morphos as well as on #aros or #amigaworld. Cant blame people when MorphOS was in such obscure state in those days, tho.

Almost nothing Amiga has been "done right" since the fall of Commodore.

Amiga was never done right at Commodore. Perhaps not since the fall of Commodore either but such is life.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline kolla

« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2010, 09:24:18 PM »
Quote from: itix;562909
Everyone can download the latest version from the MorphOS website.
And yet hardly anyone do that. I might have a handfull of friends who have G4 minimac, and none of them have bothered to download MorphOS - why would they?

In old times when MorphOS 1.5 was leaked there apparently were mysterious "MorphOS betatesters" running MorphOS 1.5 they downloaded for free from somewhere. If you talked to right persons you could get image via /dcc on #morphos as well as on #aros or #amigaworld. Cant blame people when MorphOS was in such obscure state in those days, tho.
What do you mean "in those days"? It is not less obscure today.

Amiga was never done right at Commodore. Perhaps not since the fall of Commodore either but such is life.

So the conclusion is that Amiga was never done right. :)
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2010, 09:39:49 PM »
Quote from: kolla;562900
And piracy? Copying to friends computer? Get real, it might have been a problem 10 years ago, these days hardly anyone _want_ MorphOS in the first place, it's an oddity, like anything Amiga these days.

"Nobody wants MorphOS, like anything Amiga these days"; hehe, well, in some kind of way, you sound like one of the last few diluted persons that not until recently believed that anything *miga "had a chance to 'rule the world'." :)

And, no, not "copying to friends computer".

Take a look at the "MorphOS registration thread" (the one counting serial numbers of keyfile registrations, can't recall what the correct title is) over at MZ.org. While the number's indeed aren't that great, and hasn't impressed anyone but that "ssolie"-guy who suddenly felt a bizarre need to flood MZ with posts about potential fortunes made out of a few hundred registrations (there is no real market after all), and while obviously no-one can't possibly make a living out of it, it's still a fact that the project does have costs that needs to be covered, and some people (myself included) obviously wants MorphOS badly enough *to pay* what they ask for it.

Are you telling me that you can't see the impact of a full, *no time-restricted version* of MorphOS (able to run on any (soon) Mac HW) being uploaded to pirate bay? IMHO you could deduct about 600 registrations of that *current* sum right away...

Anyways, I suspect it wont be long before the need to register vanishes entirely, I doubt very much there will that many new registrations with 2.5 (on worse hardware) and reduced price.

You are only deceiving yourself if you believe that there is any kind of *market* (by the definition of the word) around anything "Amiga" at this point. And personally I think they will get more registrations thanks to the *price reduction* rather than the additional HW support (although the latter will certainly contribute as well! :)).

And it's not "worse" HW, it's *a wider scope of HW options*! Big difference! :)

The ultimate goal is obviously to cover *all* Mac G4 platforms, one at a time. It just happened that the eMac was covered before the PowerMac and PowerBook. But you can already today choose *Mac Mini*, which in many aspects will be a more powerful HW than the eMac.

But not as cheap! And price is also a feature! And when it comes to consumer products, it's often *the most important* feature...!

:)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2010, 09:43:47 PM »
Quote from: kolla;562912
I might have a handfull of friends who have G4 minimac, and none of them have bothered to download MorphOS - why would they?

If none of your Mac friends are interested in Amiga, then of course you are right - why would they?

It's not like the MorphOS team is out to conquer the world. Did you really think so?

Honestly?

EDIT: BTW, Will your Mac friends buy the new 1,500-2,000 EUR "X1000" + the OS4 fee? Why? Why not? Do you see my point?

;)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 10:13:30 PM by takemehomegrandma »

« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2010, 10:04:40 PM »
Quote from: kolla;562904
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;562898
While I recognize the same down sides as you do kolla, I must say that the MorphOS way (with Mac HW support and free download) beats the OS4 way by a magnitude.

I dont see the point in comparing OS4 and MorphOS, that is not the issue here.

There are basically two ways the teams could have gone regarding the issue you want to discuss here kolla (and I described them above);

The way OS4 team went...

...and the way the MorphOS team went!

There are pros and cons to them both. I, however, believe that the MorphOS did the right choice as opposed to the OS4 team, for the reasons I explained above.

:)

Offline BlackMonk

• Show only replies by BlackMonk
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2010, 10:16:43 PM »
How about the way Haiku is going?

http://www.haiku-os.org/

They set up a corporation to manage donations and trademarks, the OS is available for free, and the contributing coders are mostly working for free.  

The donations go to attending opensource events and hosting coding sessions as well as putting some money aside for hiring programmers to work on specific items on a contractual basis.

In addition, they have been part of Google's Summer of Code for the last several years and have had interested students work on things ranging from internationalization to porting Webkit to the OS.

So yeah, there's more than two ways to go about this type of thing.  The Haiku devs are doing it in their spare time out of passion more than anything.  I guess the MorphOS guys want to get paid a little.  Both are valid approaches and if they want to get paid, more power to 'em!

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2010, 11:44:29 PM »
Quote from: kolla;562912
And yet hardly anyone do that. I might have a handfull of friends who have G4 minimac, and none of them have bothered to download MorphOS - why would they?

Yes and...?

So the conclusion is that Amiga was never done right. :)

Indeed :) Apparently RJ Mical loved 3DO very much where they didnt repeat old mistakes.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline kolla

« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2010, 12:33:55 AM »
@takemehomegrandma
Seems like you have a hard time understanding what I'm typing, since you keep using my own arguments against me. And as always you're pulling in OS4 - what is it with you and OS4?

From where do you get the idea that I think there is a market? Really, you don't make any sense. And all those smileys just make your postings look rather insane.

I have followed MorphOS since the start, and even back then I was all for the "break off and move on already" that was supposed to be the qbox. Not surprisingly that never happened - I suspect Laire would have wanted it to, but that most other devs were probably too much into improving abox, glorifying the emulator so to speak - I'm just guessing. And no, ofcourse I don't think MorphOS devs is out to "conquer the world" - what gave you that idea? The only one in the blue camp that ever's been out to "conqueror the world" was BBRV, and that was exactly why I never could stand the guy. Last hopes for "amiga ruling the world" probably vanished with Jim Collas.

And "copying to friends computer", that was a comment to what redrumloa wrote, what you mean with "And no, not ..." I have no idea.

So in short - no, I don't see your points.
---
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV

Offline kolla

« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2010, 01:02:53 AM »
Quote from: BlackMonk;562923
How about the way Haiku is going?
What Haiku is doing makes sense, that contradicts the general rule of "the amiga way".

One can only hope that AROS as a project at some point might be able to do similar things. There were a couple of guys from FOSDEM who quite eagerly asked for AROS people to show up, but I don't think anyone went. And sadly, I dont think any of the "Amiga NG" systems have anything to show off at this point, being able to play full screen youtube doesn't really impress anyone.
---
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2010, 04:46:02 AM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;562784
No, rather a 19% higher price for the product itself! ;)

Well I was hoping the MorphOS devs had gotten their act together on the VAT mischarging.  After all, they've had two years to figure it out.  I guess I'm just not destined to run MorphOS for more than 30 minutes at a time.  :lol:
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 04:48:34 AM by adolescent »
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2010, 04:52:35 AM »
Aladdin 4D 5.x seems to run better under MorphOS 2.5.

Offline Mr_DBUG

• Show only replies by Mr_DBUG
« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2010, 05:28:10 AM »
The one big reason for running OS4/AROS/MorphOS is that you can run "Amiga emulation"  (Or C64 emulation) with NO Microsoft beneath it ! And slightly closer to the hardware ? And with SLIGHTLY more control over the OS than if you run WinUAE on Windows .. Linux .. well .. Its also a monolith bloatware .. ?!

These days I feel less and less comfortable with Linux as well.. Im sure theres no problem to spy on inexperienced Linux users like me if some hackergroup wanted to ..  

Haiku could be interesting also :-)

Another thing the various "AmigaNG" should get involved in is to get students at tech colleges coding on it ! Like it is mentioned above, Haiku is slightly further in those areas ..

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2010, 05:36:11 AM »
Quote from: Mr_DBUG;562992
These days I feel less and less comfortable with Linux as well.. Im sure theres no problem to spy on inexperienced Linux users like me if some hackergroup wanted to ..

What are you talking about?
Why are you afraid anyone would like to spy on you?
Set up a linux server at home wich acts as a Fire wall then use linux on your end computer and I can tell you that you are quite safe.

It's alot of work to get into a safe up to date Linux system, can't realy see any reasons for some "random hacking group" to jump into your computer just for the kicks of it.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2010, 06:03:43 AM »
I thought MorphOS was out to conquer the world...

...I mean wasn't MorphOS behind the French Revolution, the fall of Russia, and now America? I could of swore it was the MorphOS team who infiltrated the British Masons and corrupted their cause, assuming it wasn't already corrupt from the get go.

And to think that I thought I had an ally. Where shall I turn now?!?!?

Oh ya, Microsoft! :)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline mingle

• Show only replies by mingle
« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2010, 09:01:03 AM »
Just wondering why only the 1.25GHz eMacs are supported?

Offline quenthal

• Show only replies by quenthal
« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2010, 09:40:22 AM »
This is just excellent news!

Quote from: mingle;563004
Just wondering why only the 1.25GHz eMacs are supported?

I think is was written somewhere that out of eMacs, only 1.25 were tested. That doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't work with faster eMacs.

Not a long ago I got my hands on G4 MacMini, so now is the right time for me to do try MorphOS 2.5 out! :-)
A4000/CSPPC&060