Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: IMICA Atom becomes Aros fully native and celebrates in Silence  (Read 12948 times)

Description:

Offline dammy

• Show all replies
Quote from: stefcep2;560519
Which part of AROS was in 3.5 and 3.9?  how sign ificant is that to the look and feel of AmigOS?

It wasn't much, IIRC, it was the color wheel.  Now MOS used a fair amount of AROS code in it's initial release.  IIRC from the court papers, I don't think much or any kickstart or WB 3.x code made it into OS4 because it was machine 68K code.  

I will point out AROS was released on the SAM440 before OS4 was.  And I'm fairly confident you will see AROS released for EFIKA-MX based systems which I would hope by this year.  And as others in this thread have mentioned AFA code is from AROS.  So painting AROS as x86 is not completely true as there are PPC and eventually ARM port in the wild.

I do understand your concern for your favorite camp, AROS does make it harder for them to pitch very expensive hardware.  Vs buying fairly cheap hardware that does more for the bang:buck ratio with portables on the way.  Then the issue if Commodore USA ever clears up the trademark issue with the C= trademark owners, selling x86 gear running AROS with C= logo will make it known to the larger market place.  Natami ever sees the light of day and runs AROS on it, it'll be even harder to sell 1500+ Euro PPC systems.

@ Steve, gratz on this release of a silent IMACA.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline dammy

• Show all replies
Re: IMICA Atom becomes Aros fully native and celebrates in Silence
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 03:48:36 PM »
1. They are using linux as a base, then popping APIs on top of it, making a WB lookalike that is analogous to linux w/ WINE. They will never capture the Amiga experience as it is in MOS or AmigaOS.

That was the old Anubis-OS project, not AROS.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.