Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: IMICA Atom becomes Aros fully native and celebrates in Silence  (Read 12657 times)

Description:

Offline stefcep2

• Show all replies
Quote from: the_leander;560352
Way to dismiss and belittle tens of thousands of hours of developers hard work in building a ground up opensource re-implimentation of the AmigaOS.

Except its not.  There is not a single line of AmigaOS code in it, nor is it compatible with any Amiga hardware

I would also point out that the hardware in question packs a bigger punch in every respect than a Sam440 and does so for around a third of the cost. Oh and its mass produced which means people buying into AROS won't have to silently pray to the gods of hardware that today isn't the day your system dies because there is no replacement.

So what?  It won't run anything written for AmigaOS 4 and above, and it can't run Amiga OS 3.x software natively.  As a fun PC OS its OK, and congratulations to those who developed it and provide NW for it, but an Amiga it is not.

Newsflash chum: AROS has been around for far longer than you have been around and will l(thanks to being OSS) be here long after the last A1 and Sam die of old age.

And?

Look, just because you get a hardon over ridiculously overpriced and underspecced niche hardware doesn't mean that the rest of us have to follow your fetish.

And just beacsue you get a hard on about open-source x86 PC OS's that say they are built in the spirit of Amiga, but run no Amiga software except under certain circumstance, doesn't mean that anyone has to follow yours.

Oh and quit it with the hyperbole, the only company that killed Amiga was Commodore, but then again I've come to expect such nonsense historical revisionism from the new wave of name followers such as yourself.

Yep.  It was Commodore and Nothing else to it. FMD.

Oh don't play the innocent, you got an infraction and deserved it. Trying to wriggle out of it like this is just makes you look even more pathetic. I would also suggest that the reason for the infraction was precisely because your posts were belittling the efforts of people who actually know their stuff and are actively trying to improve support for the platform as a whole, even if you don't happen to agree with the direction of this fork.

No the reason is that this place has turned into a place where anything goes:

1.  if a handful of the more frequent visitors agree with you.

2.  its OK for the said handful to belittle, insult (words like pathetic, deluded, dense) if you don't agree with their POV

3. if you are a mod.

And what f'en fork are you talking about.  AROS is not a fork of AmigaOS.

dreamcast270mhz:  where you went wrong is that you expressed an opinion that didn't agree with the majority one here.  In future refrain from having an opinion and just say you like "whatever anyone else likes"

Offline stefcep2

• Show all replies
Re: IMICA Atom becomes Aros fully native and celebrates in Silence
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 07:25:04 AM »
Quote from: the_leander;560508
Which part of Open Source re-implementation are you having trouble with? I should also point out that there was quite a bit of AROS code in AOS 3.5 and 3.9, so even that statement isn't true.

The bit where NONE of AmigaOS is re-iplemented. Its an x86 OS that aims to run in the spirit of Amiga, whatever that is.

Which part of AROS was in 3.5 and 3.9?  how sign ificant is that to the look and feel of AmigOS?

Google "o1i"

AROS is AmigaOS API compatible and will run AmigaOS software if recompiled for it. o1i will (eventually) enable it to run AOS apps natively ala Amithlon/MorphOS. In the mean time I believe there is a port of UAE available for AROS.
"natively"=68ki run under a 68 k processor.  Anything else is a form of emulation, via translation/transcription, and there isn't a single emulator anywhere for any platform that I've used that doesn't lose "something in the translation".

See, this is what I love about you BAFs - you assume that the rest of the world must have some comparable fetish for their given point of view.

I'll state again what I've said to several of your mouthbreathing comrades:

I do not give a toss what platform I am using so long as it provides me with the tools I want and need to do the things I do day to day. The underlying hardware platform is equally unimportant so long as it provides the appropriate performance for the tasks at hand and does so at a reasonable cost.  

Read and understand.

No you do.  Most of the above is besides the point.  Here I'll dumb it down for you.  I don't particularly care for your opinion, but I'll respect that you are entitled to express that opinion free from any fear of ridicule, abuse or belittlement. Unlike most of your posts which come across as condescending smart-arse hollier than hour drivel. If you're happy with a pragmatic near enough approach, fine.  Not everyone is.

Or you could oh, I don't know, back up your claims with facts. That tends to go down nicely around here. Watch anyone make a blatantly incorrect statement and see them get corrected, then shot down if they ignore the correction and carry on - regardless of how popular you are(n't).

Correction of what?  For having an opinion?  How can you correct an opinion. FFS?

What, you mean like you do regularly when faced with anyone who doesn't slavishly follow your views on teh oNe TrU CoMputAr?

As opposed to slavishly following yours that near is good enough if its cheap enough and accessible enough?  For some, there is nothing like the real thing.  I respect that.  For others who are more pragmatic, AROS and some form emulation/compatibility layer is what they are after, well and good.  There's a big difference in the way they OP responded to the criticims with articulate, respectful comments and they way you and the other dude did with references about pissing in cornflakes did.

Where he went wrong was in belittling (intentionally or not) the efforts of people who have poured tens of thousands of man hours into this project (which itself had parts of it put in both AOS and MorphOS) without any provocation or reason - no other reason.

whatever.

AROS is  an exceptional effort to create an x86 OS that aims to provide some of the feel of Amiga and the approximate running of Amiga 3.x software.  An amiga it aint.

Offline stefcep2

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 01:47:49 PM »
Quote from: dammy;560554

I do understand your concern for your favorite camp, AROS does make it harder for them to pitch very expensive hardware.  Vs buying fairly cheap hardware that does more for the bang:buck ratio with portables on the way.  Then the issue if Commodore USA ever clears up the trademark issue with the C= trademark owners, selling x86 gear running AROS with C= logo will make it known to the larger market place.  Natami ever sees the light of day and runs AROS on it, it'll be even harder to sell 1500+ Euro PPC systems.

Actually I don't have any preference re: AROS v Efika V Morphos v SAM v OS 4.  AmigaOS 3.x (3.1 at that) is more than adequate for my needs running on my classic A4000 68060, running my original classic hardware.  And judging from what people are willing to pay for classic hardware I'd thats the situation with many others still using anything Amiga.

Offline stefcep2

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 01:50:17 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;560526
Well, that's weird, seeing as I was able to compile some of my old amigaos specific code for AROS. That doesn't require an OS "in the spirit" of Amiga, it requires an OS that provides amiga compatible APIs. Do you understand the meaning of "re-implemented" in this context?

OK when you recompile Dpaint, Scala, Brillliance, Lightwave, Cinema 4d, Wordworth 7 for AROS, let me know and I'll jump on board.

Offline stefcep2

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 02:31:09 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;560581
Please read up about this stuff, these are exactly the programs that AROS can run using the Janus emulation, and in the cause of non harwear hitting apps, like Lightwave, then the Emu that Steve has just pointed to :)

So can Winuae.  Its just emulation. Lightwave hits the hardware,as do DPaint, Brilliance and Scala.

Offline stefcep2

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 02:39:28 PM »
Quote from: JJ;560595
If dpaint hits the hardware how does it work through RTG  ?

It works badly.

Personal Paint is different.

Offline stefcep2

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 02:40:01 PM »
Quote from: clusteruk;560597
Interesting, I never managed to get DPaint to run with an RTG mode, always went belly up if you select one.

exactly.

Offline stefcep2

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 11:44:18 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;560690
Ok, I'm taking off the moderator hat for this one..

Well put the hat back on and moderate this:

"I suspect you must be retarded or mentally challenged".

Or is that OK because you don't agree with dreamcast's post however factually wron or right it might be. This has to be said also.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 11:46:21 PM by stefcep2 »

Offline stefcep2

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 11:47:48 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;560699
@bloodline

DPaint IV still works in OS4.1, I was messing with it last night (well, I was able to start it and load a picture, hardly an exhaustive test).

Even in 3.1 under cybergraphx its hit and miss.  Try animating-which is where DPAint shines, and it fails every time.