Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New A-EON Technology Website now live!  (Read 20405 times)

Description:

Offline Kremlar

• Show all replies
Re: New A-EON Technology Website now live!
« on: April 15, 2010, 05:56:23 PM »
For some of us it's disappointment. I pretty much left Amiga in the '90s and returned to my old toys a few years ago. I had gotten into Amiga in '85 because it was so far ahead of the pack. I could do wonderful things with it. I guess what I wanted was a modern version of that, something that would be ahead of the pack with new fresh ideas, not some slightly modernised parody of the past.

There's nothing new here, nothing fresh, that to me was more Amiga than some clunky interface. Amiga to me was an idea, simple computing with powerful hardware pushed to the max and beyond. But it was also affordable. Bang (darn you Cammy, I can't even use this metaphor without laughing) for the buck. My 3000 was half the price of an equivalent Mac.

Anyway, I'm move on eventually, the dream isn't going to happen, and I'll come to accept that eventually. The website helps, it's ancient feel helps put Amiga back into history now.

It's not going to happen today the way it happened back then.  Back then the PC market was relatively small, with lots of room for profit margin and lots of room for innovation.  Today the innovation is in form factor and presentation/software (witness the deserved success of the iPhone and probably the iPad), and the profit margin is slim.

The best anyone can do today with a desktop OS is carve out a niche (Linux).  Look at the still relatively low percentage of people running Macs - and that's after decades of competing with Windows!  Can a company just snap their fingers and create a mature OS competitive with Windows or the Mac?  No.  People want familiarity, compatibility and value.

If I made a widget that had vastly better processing power, graphics, sound, etc., would I build a new computer platform around it?  No - I'd sell it to Intell/AMD/nVidia!  Why sell 5,000 Amigas when I can sell 10,000,000 PC peripherals?

The only thing hot today, other than Apple products, is 3D.  Figure out how to use that to sell your widget and you might have a market - but as a Windows PC peripheral, not as a new computing platform.

Why would anyone in their right mind, except for fanboys or for nostalgia, buy an X1000?  There's really no reason at all without a killer app.  And if I were writing a "killer app", I'd write it for Windows!

Offline Kremlar

• Show all replies
Re: New A-EON Technology Website now live!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 06:31:07 PM »
HTPCs aren't hot.  I love 'em, my whole house is filled with them, but I'm in the minority.  The potential market is incredibly small for a $800+++ HTPC when people can simply rent an HD-capable PVR that has the features they want for $10-$15/month.  Or better still, buy an Xbox 360 or PS3 for $300 or less.

I'm not sure what it's like in Australia, but here in the US building a usable HTPC isn't easy.  Playback of Blu-Ray within a single, reliable, attractive user interface is tough.  Same with encrypted digital TV.  It's taken Microsoft years to finally get CableLabs to open up cable card to all Media Center users.  Microsoft still doesn't have Blu-Ray playback within Media Center.

How could an Amiga-product pull it off, and why would they want to even try with such a small market?

But sure.  Build a slick HTPC for $300-$400 that does everything cleanly and reliably, and maybe you'll sell 10,000.