Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New A-EON Technology Website now live!  (Read 20057 times)

Description:

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
Re: New A-EON Technology Website now live!
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2010, 03:03:58 AM »
"Xena is not simply a strap-on extra..."

Whew! glad that's cleared up.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 03:06:15 AM by TheGoose »
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2010, 03:41:00 AM »
I thought the OS 4.1 look of the website was sorta cool and unique for what product they are pushing, actually.  There's a lot worse websites out there.  Now just need time to brace for the MSRP sticker shock of this X-1000 thing :)

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2010, 03:54:54 AM »
Quote from: Duce;553610
Now just need time to brace for the MSRP sticker shock of this X-1000 thing :)

You got that right buddy.

Below is an AOS4 user properly braced for the sticker shock regarding the A1X1K:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 02:25:07 AM by Argo »

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2010, 03:55:43 AM »
In regards to the RAM, what's to say the system can even theoretically support ddr3 ? If the memory controller is on the cpu (which is more often than not with cpus these days) then it may simply not be an option. I'd be surprised if it's an issue anyway,... the speed the cpu is likely to provide (especially when initially only using 1 core) is unlikely to benefit from ddr3 and may even suffer from it (ddr3 has higher latency than ddr2,.... I'd buy ddr2@1333mhz before I bought ddr3@1600 if I wanted performance(but obviously good ddr3 if speed was paramount))..... ddr2 is unlikely to vanish any time soon anyway,.... ddr1 can be purchased still fairly readily even.
In regards to the site, OS4.x is fairly ho-hum to me these days so Im not hugely interested in yet another "announcement of an announcement". Each to thier own though.
 The guys behind the scene might want to hurry up though, time stands still for no-one in the computer world,.... what started out as a potentially pricey low end system (in comparison to what's available off the shelf almost anywhere) may end up as outdated (again comparitively) before it's even released,.. a far cry from what theyre touting as "high end".... 6-12 months is way, way too long to sit on something in this game.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2010, 04:12:50 AM »
This thing (another overpriced piece of hardware) is using tha 25th anniversary of amiga like reclaim, its sad :(
a1200 060

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2010, 04:29:09 AM »
Shouldn't they focus on a software base before trying to sell an over priced piece of hardware?

I mean really, what are people doing with their Amiga One's, SAM's Efika's and the like that they can't do on a Mac Mini with MorphOS? What sets these Amiga's apart from any other computer now a days? Why would anyone but us fan boys  (and girls) want one? Why would a company want to take a change on using them in their stores, factories, and the like?

I just don't get it, sorry to sound like a nay sayer, but I really don't get it.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Tron2k2

• Show only replies by Tron2k2
    • http://www.pbronline.us
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2010, 04:46:47 AM »
@XDelusion these are very good questions.  If they had a pared down one of these with only one CPU, two RAM slots, the PCI-e connectors, USB and nothing else, that should be able to be made pretty cheap-on par with a used Mac Mini solution.

Makes me wonder, with the JTAG and CF connectors, if this isn't yet another production run of someone's evaluation board ala Teron.  The 'Xorro' connector sounds like some sort of industrial widget to me also.  Sort of like the 'geek port' on the PegasosII was promised to be.  You know, that odd little socket next to the RAM slots..  Did anyone ever use that?

Don't take this as being negative, because I'm kind of excited about the potential of this piece of hardware-imagine a real Amiga like hardware that could have a hope of decoding 1080p video such as from a Blu-Ray disc..

But what's with the big blue member in the lower right corner of the site?

Offline redfox

• Show only replies by redfox
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2010, 05:00:22 AM »
The website looks fine here on my OS4 system with OWB 3.23.  Haven't tried any other browser yet.  Registered with no problems at all.  It's a start.  I'm sure we'll see more content when there is more to share.
---
redfox

Offline fishy_fiz

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2010, 05:03:22 AM »
@Xdelusion

While I do agree to a degree with what you've said, by that reasoning AROS is the logical choice (ie, can do much the same things in a similar manner faster and cheaper (generalising here, please dont point out shortcomings or advantages of "system x" ppl)) and a potential business has to start somewhere, and while there's still a little way to go for all amiga like options, progress has been made in the last few years with both software and hardware (although personally I think the hardware side of things seems like a very risky idea(for all the ideas that have been repeated over and over on most amiga sites)).... small steps, of which X1000 is another, but things are slowly moving forward. For my tastes, although I favor OS3.x on classics and amithlon(one for retro fun, one for "serious use) and AROS and dont particularly follow OS4.x (I do read the interesting stuff that happens with it still when I come across it on multi amiga format sites), Im a happy man for any sort of progress on any of the amiga like systems as if for any reason some die at least things have been progressing elsewhere so I can jump aboard another actively developed option.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2010, 05:10:30 AM »
The dick sliding into your browser is so freaking appropriate. Bend over all ye AOS4 faithfuls. They didn't design it this way by accident, I guarantee you.

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2010, 05:32:43 AM »
Quote from: Cammy;553581
If you rub that knob thing it gets longer.

Quote from: TheGoose;553607
"Xena is not simply a strap-on extra..."

Whew! glad that's cleared up.

Quote from: koaftder;553619
The dick sliding into your browser is so freaking appropriate. Bend over all ye AOS4 faithfuls. They didn't design it this way by accident, I guarantee you.

I have a very dirty mind. :lol:
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2010, 06:51:04 AM »
Nothing says "new amiga" like a dick joke

Offline fishy_fiz

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2010, 07:16:10 AM »
So, taking the phallicism on board theyre basically telling us to go f@ck ourselves "while you are waiting" ?   :-P

Offline BigBenAussie

• Show only replies by BigBenAussie
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2010, 07:27:28 AM »
Oh man.... that monkey is freaking me out.

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2010, 08:17:50 AM »
Who's ready for there hot Amiga injection? :roflmao:
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline Varthall

• Show only replies by Varthall
« Reply #44 from previous page: April 15, 2010, 08:23:38 AM »
Quote from: koaftder;553611
You got that right buddy.

Below is an AOS4 user properly braced for the sticker shock regarding the A1X1K:

image removed - images of vivisection aren't really suited to a family forum
Thanks for reminding me how cruel can be some people towards animals. Apparently this  monkey was subjected to neurological experiments conducted by a vivisector in 1981, he was even sentenced to jail and later exculpated. Damn sad.

Link: http://www.all-creatures.org/anex/monkey-chair-10.html

Varthall
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 01:13:59 PM by Karlos »
AmigaOne XE - AmigaOS 4.1 - Freescale 7457 1GHz - 1GB ram
MPlayer for OS4: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayer-amigaos/