Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New A-EON Technology Website now live!  (Read 20070 times)

Description:

Offline _ThEcRoW

• Show only replies by _ThEcRoW
Re: New A-EON Technology Website now live!
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2010, 02:51:21 PM »
The website looks perfect on my Pre.
Amiga 1200 desktop. Apollo 030/50 Mhz 8mb ram + ClassicWB + Wb 3.1
Amiga 500 + ACA500Plus + 16gb CF | ECS Power!!!
C64 DTV + Keyboard mod. Waiting for a 1541 disk ve...
Mac Mini G4 1.42Ghz 1gb OSX(tiger)/Morphos 3.7 Registered
C64mini + usb drive with loads of games...

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2010, 03:03:19 PM »
Quote from: Varthall;553675
It's a pity then you don't like Amiga users as much as your Amigas...

Varthall

Perhaps he just gets short with those trying to BS him too much?
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline Delta

• Show only replies by Delta
    • http://www.atelierdujeu.com
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2010, 04:03:43 PM »
Glad to finally see a real website from a-eon and i'm sure this machine will be very expensive but I'd be happy with the specs.  Sadly nobody really NEEDS an Amiga today so I don't know why some ppl are pissed at these specs.    

If I buy one it will be like buying a pool or a second car, just an extra but not a life essential.  

Don't judge them by the website, mine was shitty but my business was doing great :)
-=Delta

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2010, 04:11:03 PM »
For some of us it's disappointment.  I pretty much left Amiga in the '90s and returned to my old toys a few years ago.  I had gotten into Amiga in '85 because it was so far ahead of the pack.  I could do wonderful things with it.  I guess what I wanted was a modern version of that, something that would be ahead of the pack with new fresh ideas, not some slightly modernised parody of the past.  

There's nothing new here, nothing fresh, that to me was more Amiga than some clunky interface.  Amiga to me was an idea, simple computing with powerful hardware pushed to the max and beyond.  But it was also affordable.  Bang (darn you Cammy, I can't even use this metaphor without laughing) for the buck.  My 3000 was half the price of an equivalent Mac.  

Anyway, I'm move on eventually, the dream isn't going to happen, and I'll come to accept that eventually.  The website helps, it's ancient feel helps put Amiga back into history now.

Quote from: utri007;553652
There are lots of people who thinks that amiga price should be something like 100€, and moust of them haven't had amiga years now.

Their amiga hobby is that they spend time amiga forums telling to other people that they don't get it

Other part are those who doesn't understand that some people wants to use A OS 4 as their hobby OS, not morp os or aros

Personally, I just not interested Morp OS or Aros, but I'm not spend my time to crying that MorpH OS shoud go to x86 or that how poor hardware support is for Aros

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline kolla

« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2010, 04:23:07 PM »
Quote from: Delta;553683
Glad to finally see a real website from a-eon and i'm sure this machine will be very expensive but I'd be happy with the specs.  Sadly nobody really NEEDS an Amiga today so I don't know why some ppl are pissed at these specs.
The specs are OK, but as long as the OS is not able to make good use of the hardware, it's all rather pointless. To call it high-end is wrong, there are far more powerfull powerpc systems around, it's a low/mid-end powerpc box in a huge casing.
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline asymetrix

• Show only replies by asymetrix
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2010, 04:34:57 PM »
@persia

"It does not matter if their technology is BETTER, its how you SELL it that counts." -Bill G.

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2010, 05:30:54 PM »
Quote from: Varthall;553675
It's a pity then you don't like Amiga users as much as your Amigas...

What do either have to do with A-Eon?

Offline Varthall

• Show only replies by Varthall
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2010, 05:35:46 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;553691
What do either have to do with A-Eon?

Apparently they do.

Varthall
AmigaOne XE - AmigaOS 4.1 - Freescale 7457 1GHz - 1GB ram
MPlayer for OS4: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayer-amigaos/

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2010, 05:39:30 PM »
That's not a monkey, it's actually an Amiga user! That's what we look like now!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Kremlar

• Show only replies by Kremlar
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2010, 05:56:23 PM »
For some of us it's disappointment. I pretty much left Amiga in the '90s and returned to my old toys a few years ago. I had gotten into Amiga in '85 because it was so far ahead of the pack. I could do wonderful things with it. I guess what I wanted was a modern version of that, something that would be ahead of the pack with new fresh ideas, not some slightly modernised parody of the past.

There's nothing new here, nothing fresh, that to me was more Amiga than some clunky interface. Amiga to me was an idea, simple computing with powerful hardware pushed to the max and beyond. But it was also affordable. Bang (darn you Cammy, I can't even use this metaphor without laughing) for the buck. My 3000 was half the price of an equivalent Mac.

Anyway, I'm move on eventually, the dream isn't going to happen, and I'll come to accept that eventually. The website helps, it's ancient feel helps put Amiga back into history now.

It's not going to happen today the way it happened back then.  Back then the PC market was relatively small, with lots of room for profit margin and lots of room for innovation.  Today the innovation is in form factor and presentation/software (witness the deserved success of the iPhone and probably the iPad), and the profit margin is slim.

The best anyone can do today with a desktop OS is carve out a niche (Linux).  Look at the still relatively low percentage of people running Macs - and that's after decades of competing with Windows!  Can a company just snap their fingers and create a mature OS competitive with Windows or the Mac?  No.  People want familiarity, compatibility and value.

If I made a widget that had vastly better processing power, graphics, sound, etc., would I build a new computer platform around it?  No - I'd sell it to Intell/AMD/nVidia!  Why sell 5,000 Amigas when I can sell 10,000,000 PC peripherals?

The only thing hot today, other than Apple products, is 3D.  Figure out how to use that to sell your widget and you might have a market - but as a Windows PC peripheral, not as a new computing platform.

Why would anyone in their right mind, except for fanboys or for nostalgia, buy an X1000?  There's really no reason at all without a killer app.  And if I were writing a "killer app", I'd write it for Windows!

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2010, 06:20:04 PM »
Quote from: Kremlar;553695

Why would anyone in their right mind, except for fanboys or for nostalgia, buy an X1000?  There's really no reason at all without a killer app.  And if I were writing a "killer app", I'd write it for Windows!

You don't need 3D. Write a cool application to handle your movie/music collection and sell it as HTPC. Or make a wii fit board for it.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline Kremlar

• Show only replies by Kremlar
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2010, 06:31:07 PM »
HTPCs aren't hot.  I love 'em, my whole house is filled with them, but I'm in the minority.  The potential market is incredibly small for a $800+++ HTPC when people can simply rent an HD-capable PVR that has the features they want for $10-$15/month.  Or better still, buy an Xbox 360 or PS3 for $300 or less.

I'm not sure what it's like in Australia, but here in the US building a usable HTPC isn't easy.  Playback of Blu-Ray within a single, reliable, attractive user interface is tough.  Same with encrypted digital TV.  It's taken Microsoft years to finally get CableLabs to open up cable card to all Media Center users.  Microsoft still doesn't have Blu-Ray playback within Media Center.

How could an Amiga-product pull it off, and why would they want to even try with such a small market?

But sure.  Build a slick HTPC for $300-$400 that does everything cleanly and reliably, and maybe you'll sell 10,000.

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2010, 06:41:02 PM »
Quote from: Fanscale;553703
You don't need 3D. Write a cool application to handle your movie/music collection and sell it as HTPC. Or make a wii fit board for it.

Sell it to who? The handful of other X1000 owners? Might as well throw your money away.

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2010, 08:16:11 PM »
"1x Xorro slot ( that's one hole that will never loose its virginity )"

*rolling on the floor laughing hysterically*

That was my first impression, when they announced that. XD
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2010, 08:19:59 PM »
"I have a very dirty mind. :lol:"

lolz
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #74 from previous page: April 15, 2010, 08:56:42 PM »
Quote from: kolla;553687
The specs are OK, but as long as the OS is not able to make good use of the hardware, it's all rather pointless. To call it high-end is wrong, there are far more powerfull powerpc systems around, it's a low/mid-end powerpc box in a huge casing.

It's "high end" in the same way the 060 is for a classic machine. There are much faster coldfire systems out there, but as they don't run AmigaOS, they aren't relevant when discussing what's high-end for an 68k based Amiga.

So, whilst it's true that there are more powerful PowerPC based systems available, a 1.8GHz PowerPC is still "high end" as far as OS4 compatibles go. After all, the fastest existing systems that can run OS4 are only about, what, 1.3GHz at most?

If it's "done right", this machine could be significantly faster by more than the difference in clockspeed from existing OS4 machines. A decent memory controller with DDR2 should help, as will SATA and PCIe expansion boards.
int p; // A