Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Research In Motion Buys QNX Software  (Read 4389 times)

Description:

Offline redfox

• Show all replies
Re: Research In Motion Buys QNX Software
« on: April 10, 2010, 04:23:38 PM »
Back in the day, I was very impressed by that floppy version of QNX.  It worked on my IBM Aptiva at home and the IBM machines we used at work.  I still think it was a cool idea.

For awhile, I had noncommercial versions of QNX 6.1 and then QNX 6.2 installed at home on my HP pavilion minitower machine.  I had a dual boot setup, Windows XP for the rest of the familly and I used QNX.  Still have QNX on that machine.

Then I got involved with AmigaOS4 and have not upgraded my QNX system for awhile.  I think I will look into the latest version of QNX and give it a try.

---
redfox
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 04:26:42 PM by redfox »

Offline redfox

• Show all replies
Re: Research In Motion Buys QNX Software
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 10:53:50 PM »
QNX Neutrino 6.2.0 had a good web browser, file manager, editor, terminal (shell) program and other basics needed to create a usable desktop environment for a premium development system.  It also had some bells and whistles of its own for creating the desktop look and feel the developer desired.  What it lacked was user programs such as paint programs, spreadsheet programs, word processing, games, stuff like that.  Some programs were made available by others for download from certain repository sites.  I downloaded a few games, a version of Opera which provided some enhancements for the QNX Voyager WebBrowser, a version of Mozilla and an email program.

In other words, the basic system was usable right out of the box and I could surf the net right away after installing the system.  But a casual user like me had to go out and find the other programs that I wanted to use.

I haven't tried QNX 6.4 yet, so not sure what it has available.

---
redfox
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 10:59:38 PM by redfox »