Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ACube Systems  (Read 4378 times)

Description:

Offline sicky

• Show only replies by sicky
    • http://www.seal-amiga.co.uk
Re: ACube Systems
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 01:00:42 AM »
@neon32

Well stick with your Gamecube then

I was just gonna say where to stick his Gamecube, but you kinda beat me ;-)

Offline Dr_Righteous

• Show only replies by Dr_Righteous
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2007, 01:09:55 AM »
Anyone here who paid the, what was it, $800 for an AmigaOne think it wasn't worth it? Betcha there are some happy Efika users out there right now, even just running Linux at the moment... With MorphOS on the way, and maybe (and I'd buy one in a heartbeat if it were confirmed) OS4!

Sam440ep is already worth every cent, just from the previews... Of course not worth anything to *ME* without OS4.

And just to be snide, Gamecube will NEVER run OS4, so it is already worthless to me. As is every other game console in the world (except CD32 and CDTV, which are worth about $20 to me, cuz I'd probably pick one up for that if I had the opportunity.. Just cuz they're Amigas).
- Doc

A4000D, A3640 OC-36.3MHz, custom tower, Mediator A4000D. Diamond Banshee 16M, Indivision AGA 4000, GVP HC+8.

Mac Mini 1.5GHz, that might run MorphOS someday, when the fools who own it come to the realization that 30 minutes just isn\'t enough time to play with it enough to decide whether or not you like it enough to cough up $200.

- Someone please design SOME kind of DIY accelerator for the A4000. :D -

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2007, 02:37:49 AM »
I don't get it. Why should I be excited about this news? What's the Amiga angle?
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

Offline Plaz

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2007, 03:47:59 AM »
@weirdami

What's the Amiga angle?

Strickly speaking, there isn't one yet. We're still waiting for the OS4 bundle news I suppose. ATM this is a dev board with high Amiga hopes.

Plaz

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2007, 07:35:44 AM »
Are these the guys known as "the italians"? I remember hearing that monicker before back around when McEwen did his 25 questions thing.
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

Offline AJCopland

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2007, 10:39:21 AM »
@weirdami
I think it's exciting and an Amiga angle because when McEwen said they'd be announcing OS4 and then a board that could run it in the new year it seems likely that this is that board.

@lou_dias
Well the GC gfx chip has some interesting features, but compared to a Radeon 9000 even the mobile one it takes quite a beating. Not to mention the odd hardware bugs in the GC and Wii versions of the chip that prevent 8888 framebuffer format, perspective correct color iterator (nasty issue) and a near useless clipper. Plus the GC and Wii have a segmented and fixed size memory architecture that probably saves Ninty more money than it really helps developers.

Nah I think this board is plenty interesting, i'm saving for an Efika at the moment (and a house  :crazy:) but a version of this is definately on my shopping list if it runs OS4.

:-D

Andy
Be Positive towards the Amiga community!

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2007, 12:01:30 PM »
I don't get it. Why should I be excited about this news? What's the Amiga angle?

Yeah I don't get it either especially when a 2001 Gamecube is just as capable and available since ... 2001.

Instead I'll just stick it.
What a great community.

Then people wonder why Amiga, Inc. doesn't communicate with it anymore.

Retards.

Atleast AJ knows what he's talking about.  That being said, the Wii is still overall more capable and this ACube will never be a good desktop PC so again, what's the point?  This thing won't run OS4 and I never mentioned the GC or Wii running OS4.  However they can run AROS for less $$$.

In the end, it's another platform that even on the AROS front, will divert developers' time writing drivers and/or segmenting this (and I use the term loosely here) "community" further.

Offline sicky

• Show only replies by sicky
    • http://www.seal-amiga.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2007, 12:23:01 PM »
@lou_dias

Yeah I don't get it either especially when a 2001 Gamecube is just as capable and available since ... 2001.

But it won't run OS4 tho will it (or ever likely to), so what's the point of even mentioning it?

What a great community

Yes it is an AMIGA community not a gamecube community!

That being said, the Wii is still overall more capable and this ACube will never be a good desktop PC so again, what's the point?

But it will be able to run OS4 unlike anything from Nintendo, you are the one totally missing the point. Amiga OS is small and light and will run very fast on the SAM440EP, ideal for a hobbyists machine.

This thing won't run OS4

Oh I think it will!

Offline Agafaster

• Show only replies by Agafaster
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2007, 02:35:41 PM »
Dr_Righteous wrote:
Anyone here who paid the, what was it, $800 for an AmigaOne think it wasn't worth it? Betcha there are some happy Efika users out there right now, even just running Linux at the moment... With MorphOS on the way, and maybe (and I'd buy one in a heartbeat if it were confirmed) OS4!

I paid the 700 quid (dont forget RAM and graphics card) and having just installed the Final OS4 I consider it money well spent. It was, after all 3.5 years ago, and I havent felt the (serious) need to upgrade.

Sam440ep is already worth every cent, just from the previews... Of course not worth anything to *ME* without OS4.

I'd buy one in a heartbeat, once it gets an OS4 licence. (oh - it has to get released too!)

[/quote]And just to be snide, Gamecube will NEVER run OS4, so it is already worthless to me. As is every other game console in the world (except CD32 and CDTV, which are worth about $20 to me, cuz I'd probably pick one up for that if I had the opportunity.. Just cuz they're Amigas).
[/quote]

no, I can't see it happening either - licences for a start, closed architecture (proprietary too!) for another.
\\"New Bruce here will be teaching Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud.\\"
\\"Those are all cricketers, Bruce !\\"
A1XE G3/800MHz Radeon 7000 512MB
A1200 030/25MHz 8MB

Offline Colin_Camper

• Show only replies by Colin_Camper
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2007, 04:00:23 PM »
@weirdami

Are these the guys known as "the italians"?

LOL! I think every SAM news story should be accompanied by the monicker 'The Italians'!!

@lou_dias

I think the EFIKA is very good value for such a niche product.

It's a bit silly to compare these products with x86, VIA ITX or even MAC hardware that sell in 100s of thousands and even millions.

They are worth what people are prepared to pay for them - in the case of Sam being bundled with OS4 that is quite a lot.  :-o
Colin Camper CCNP MCSE P45 UB40
A4000D

Offline Turambar

• Show only replies by Turambar
    • http://gentleman-bastards.com/
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2007, 04:28:30 PM »
But it will be able to run OS4 unlike anything from Nintendo, you are the one totally missing the point. Amiga OS is small and light and will run very fast on the SAM440EP, ideal for a hobbyists machine.

Your plus points for the SAM also apply to the Gamecube. Like it or not the Gamecube is just as capable of running OS4 as the SAM.

You appear to be under the impression that OS4 will definitely be available for the SAM. Acube still haven't confirmed whether they have a license.

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2007, 04:37:31 PM »
Your plus points for the SAM also apply to the Gamecube. Like it or not the Gamecube is just as capable of running OS4 as the SAM.

And you have to hack your console even to run it and thus breaking the law in some countries and it is also about to get completely discontinued. would even make more sense to port it to the ps2!

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2007, 06:02:19 PM »
And you have to hack your console even to run it and thus breaking the law in some countries and it is also about to get completely discontinued. would even make more sense to port it to the ps2!

LOL, so now who will pay to port PPC code the the PS2's CPU?  Apart from converting UBOOT into a Gamecube executable (.DOL) and then drivers for the HAL, their isn't much else to port for the GC.

Anyway, this ACube doesn't currently have a license for OS4, so all this whining is moot.  In effect, the Gamecube is currently more useful than the ACube because in the end, it still plays great games and the ACube has ZERO support.

Also, if any of you actually bothered to look into the GC homebrew/modding scene, you'd realize that "hacking" it is trivial and certainly easily done by any member of this forum...and more than a few already have...

Also, using a console hack for piracy is illegal, but there is nothing illegal about hacking a console to run a free OS and free software.

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2007, 11:56:09 PM »
As for gpu's, we know the GC had done 15 million polygons/second in real time

M9 can do 40 to 45 million triangles (polygons)/second and provides hardware-accelerated support for DirectX 8.1 class shader model.

M9 has support for QXGA resolutions (2048x1536) (i.e. beyond 1080p).
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline Rob

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2007, 12:31:24 PM »
@lou_dias

I also don't know the architectual differences between the IBM Gecko and the Freescale chip. The Freescale being an embedded chip, I'd give the internal cpu architecture edge to the GC as well.

What have Freescale got to do with this thread?

Offline ajlwalker

• Show only replies by ajlwalker
« Reply #29 from previous page: January 13, 2007, 02:13:02 PM »
Well just to show how easily pleased I am, it's got a girl's name, so I am happy.

:-)