Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Catweasel and MMC64: Christmas-updates, tUM-Sponsoring  (Read 1359 times)

Description:

Offline SchoenfeldTopic starter

• Show only replies by Schoenfeld
    • http://icomp.de
Catweasel and MMC64: Christmas-updates, tUM-Sponsoring
« on: December 22, 2006, 12:37:41 AM »
Just in time for Christmas, we have an update for our Catweasel-customers that fixes two small bugs and adds a lot of new disk formats. The list of formats would go beyond the scope of this news item, therefore we have chosen a few special formats:

VERSAdos: Dr. Kümmerle of the department for safety and radiation protection of the Research Centre Jülich has sent sample disks of a Motorola VERSAdos computer, because the Research Centre had to comply with laws about archiving measurement data. More than 2000 disks have been archived and copied to up-to-date media using the Catweasel.

MHS Bootdisk: Douglas Tennant has sent a disk to us that is used to start an MHS machine. Since these disks cannot be copied using the original legacy equipment, the Catweasel now ensures that the machines can be operated in the future, using backup copies of the bootdisks.

Casio sampler disk: Casio has used disk drives in their samplers that spin at unusually high speeds. The Catweasel floppy controller has a variable bitrate, so it can read and write these disks in off-the-shelve drives. This is a good example that the topic of data recovery is not limited to computer technology. More floppy disk formats of music instruments will be implemented in future updates of the Catweasel driver software, such as the legendary synthesizer Emulator II.
If you have disks that are not yet supported by the Catweasel, please don't hesitate to contact us!

The new driver version has been reported to be stable since the last update, therefore it has left beta state. It can be downloaded for free from our support site.
Direct download: CWMK42200.zip

Planned formats for the next version of the driver are: Apple IIe, Macintosh 800K and 400K disks, and DEC RX01 and RX02 disks that have been requested by Mr. Axel Thiel of the German Federal Bureau of Aircraft Accidents Investigation.

MMC64 updates
The new BIOS-version V1.04 and the recovery disk are available for free download from our support site. The MP3-plugin that enebales the MP3@64 module on the MMC64 has been improved: Playback on NTSC machines now works errorfree.

individual Computers sponsors tUM-Party
Once a year, the creative elite of the European demoscene meets at "The ultimate meeting". Find out more about the demoscene on the websites of the digitale Kultur e.V. (Digital Culture). We're proud to provide financial support once again for a party that has satisfied all expectations that visitors have in a demoparty for several years in a row. tUM takes place from december 27th until december 29th, 2006 in Karlsruhe-Durlach, Germany. Find out more on the official website.

We wish all our customers and partners merry christmas and a happy new year!

Offline InTheSand

• Show only replies by InTheSand
    • http://www.ali.geek.nz
Re: Catweasel and MMC64: Christmas-updates, tUM-Sponsoring
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 01:46:29 AM »
Great news! Always good to hear that the Catweasel is being supported and updated!

- Ali

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 06:45:52 AM »
I have some 8" floppies from an IBM System/34 in storage which *might* still be good (they were last used in 1991.)  They hold my personal library from when I worked as a lab tech in high school.  Maybe I'll get them sent in sometime :)

Offline pdgable

• Show only replies by pdgable
    • http://64andmore.com
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 07:51:14 PM »
I have tried to beta release and the so-called Christmas update and neither one works properly with my Teac FD-55GFR 5.25" HD floppy drive. It has no problem with the 3.5" drive reading and writing Amiga disks but d64 images written to the Teac never verify properly and it cannot read any C64 disks. With the old software(circa 2002), The controller works fine with Amiga disks and C64 disks. The only reason I would like to even use the update is so my computer will turn off without having to hold the button down. Any suggestions? The Catweasel is a Mark III and the computer is a Intel Desktop board 1Ghz PIII running WinXP Pro SP2.
Thanks
Paul