Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Two New Mainboard with MPC7448 Soon?  (Read 4820 times)

Description:

Offline Legerdemain

• Show all replies
Re: Two New Mainboard with MPC7448 Soon?
« on: June 07, 2006, 03:20:55 PM »
I find it rather tragic that people can't seem to behave on communities.

How hard can it be?

Stop trolling.
Stop bashing.

If there is something to dislike... please dislike... but at least try to make them posts look at least like they are TRYING to be CONSTRUCTIVE.
Amiga 1200, Mirage Tower, PC-Key 1200, Blizzard 1260/50, SCSI Kit, 256MB RAM, 40GB HD, Mediator SX, Soundblaster 128, Voodoo 3 and Realtek 8139.

Offline Legerdemain

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 04:06:15 PM »
@Savan

I'm sorry if it seemed like I aimed my angst towards your post. That wasn't my intention. It was the overall mood of this thread I felt was getting out of hand.
Amiga 1200, Mirage Tower, PC-Key 1200, Blizzard 1260/50, SCSI Kit, 256MB RAM, 40GB HD, Mediator SX, Soundblaster 128, Voodoo 3 and Realtek 8139.

Offline Legerdemain

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 11:39:08 PM »
Nobody is condemning anyone. People just aren't impressed with this board, is all.

Not true, there have been some condemnations in this thread, actually.

Motherboards and computers capable of running OS4 are available (Pegasos, PPC Mac) and are running OS4 right now (albeit behind closed doors, since it's a violation of the EULA which I do not condone, just as the people running OS X on their A1's or Pegs are violating Apple's EULA).

You mean allowed to run OS4 which is different from capable. Nobody has said that this board has a license for OS4, or that it will ever have a license, or that Troika has the 20k to pay Hyperion for the port if it does.

When it comes to what is allowed, and what is not, this is actually a matter of where you live. I'm 99.9% percent sure that if you live in Sweden you are allowed to, heh, can't find a nice way of putting this so that it sounds sensible... but... you are allowed to 'legally violate', for example, Apple's EULA. We have something called "private usage" which in this particular case would mean that if you want to run MacOSX on your A1 at home you are perfectly free to legally do so... just like you don't have to obey Nintendo's EULA claiming you are not allowed to make backups of their game cartridges/discs... you are actually even free to, if you feel like it, hack your copy of OS4 to make it run on your Pegasos. If running a company, letting your hired people run MacOSX on the computers owned by the company would of course be illegal, still. And you can of course not make a copy of OS4 and share it with a friend, which would be piracy.

For how long this 'private usage' will remain untouched here in Sweden, is probably just a matter of time. But, I think Swedes are pretty happy about the way things are now and I do not think that, especially after the Pirate Bay razzia fiasco, the government is particularly keen on changing the law concerning 'private usage', even if EU would want them to do so; it would just be adding fuel to the fire raging amongst the population at the moment.

Offline Legerdemain

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 12:02:18 PM »
Actually I kind of agree with both MattH and Savan.

Yes, Savan, I also find a rather strange opinion often obvious within the community against running the OS on rather 'ordinary' hardware. When discussion have been held concerning OS4 and X86 the argument 'too much hardware to support' have often been raised... but in theory nothing would be different from what it is like now with using a Mediatorsolution or simply using the Amiga One; they both have PCI-slots and only certain PCI-hardware is supported. Just because more hardware becomes available to use doesn't mean that the OS HAVE to support them all.

But, MattH, yes, the chance of the PCI-cards stopped being produced leaving the users to have to search all over the place to find the appropriate PCI-cards (and sometimes pay rather much money to get hold of them) is not to be denied.

Personally I would prefer to have a rather ordinary motherboard to run OS4 on, with only certain PCI-cards supported, because that would lower the price of the boards and probably also raise the sales of the boards which, according to me, would only be of good for future productionruns and overall sales of the hardware.

I have yet not bothered about the AmigaOne for one reason only; I can't motivate myself to pay that much money! When the motherboards arrived they were expensive. Now when they are no longer produced they are even MORE expensive to get hold of second-hand. Chances are, if too expensive, that if a new motherboard gets released with a likewise high price tag, the sales will be low and the company behind the board will not gain enough money from the project to make another production run and/or develop a new board. And I am honestly not willing to take the risk of buying expensive hardware when I don't see that the hardware in itself has a future, or future support from the company behind the hardware.

Why, as a company please a few, and take a really big risk with expensive hardware, instead of pleasing many with cheaper hardware? I can't see the logic of this. Really.

In whatever case, I wish Troika the best of luck. I think it is honorable that someone dares to produce new Amiga motherboards, no matter how I personally feel concerning the actual motherboard in itself. It will probably not please me, especially if the price tag is too high, but some people will most certainly be pleased and, no pun intended, I'm glad for their sake.