Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Two New Mainboard with MPC7448 Soon?  (Read 4660 times)

Description:

Offline Savan

• Show only replies by Savan
Re: Two New Mainboard with MPC7448 Soon?
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2006, 12:05:39 AM »
Oh I dont think they'll be able to sell them at 500 Euros

Easily. You can put any price on crap hardware what runs OS4 and you know damn well waiting amiga die hards will buy them (even if they dont come with a warranty/guarantee or any other support from the company where purchased from)

Amigans wanted it this way, so sit back and let them enjoy it :lol:

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2006, 12:14:59 AM »
This is an Evaluation Board which is aimed for Developers and not for Enduser.

Exactly, but if I'm reading that article correctly, Troika is going to be selling *that* board to OS4 endusers, not something based on it. To me, that says "bad idea" - no one will take the Amiga seriously with hardware like that.

And ACK's board doesn't sound so great either. A bare board with a gazillion slots on it is a huge step backwards - that's how PCs were sold in the 286 days. Hopefully their "2007" board will be better.

That being said, the prices seem fair given the insanely low production volumes.

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2006, 12:17:28 AM »

Oh I dont think they'll be able to sell them at 500 Euros

Easily. You can put any price on crap hardware what runs OS4 and you know damn well waiting amiga die hards will buy them (even if they dont come with a warranty/guarantee or any other support from the company where purchased from)

Amigans wanted it this way, so sit back and let them enjoy it

What Tigger said was that Troika will not be able to sell this board at 500 Euros - not in a 'people wouldn't pay 500 for it' sense but in a 'if Troika marketed the board at 500 Euros they'd be making a loss' sense.

The board will be way more expensive than 500 Euros.  And I don't think people are so naive anymore, after the AmigaOne fiasco, so I'd be surprised if they sold more than a few dozen of these.

Offline Savan

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2006, 12:33:23 AM »
Yes. In the real world Troika has to compete but in the Amiga world they can charge what the hell they want (to a limit).

And I don't think people are so naive anymore, after the AmigaOne fiasco, so I'd be surprised if they sold more than a few dozen of these.

If it runs OS4 then all senses go out of the window. The Amigaone fiasco proved you can take a giant dump on Amiga users and they will wipe themselves clean and beg for more.

Offline humppa

• Show only replies by humppa
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2006, 12:41:01 AM »
Yes. In the real world Troika has to compete but in the Amiga world they can charge what the hell they want (to a limit).

Price is not relevant:

http://tinyurl.com/fmks9

:lol:

Offline SHADES

• Show only replies by SHADES
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2006, 01:04:10 AM »
@Matt_H

"And ACK's board doesn't sound so great either. A bare board with a gazillion slots on it is a huge step backwards - that's how PCs were sold in the 286 days. Hopefully their "2007" board will be better."

That's just your opinion though Matt. There's nothing wrong with having an expandable mainboard. It allows for easy expansion and opens up a lot of development for 3rd party add on cards.
It's just what i'm looking for. If you want high speed USB, plug it in. if you want a mulit I/O plug that in. Dual NIC? Firewire?  
Digital Tuner, Hi Res toaster etc etc etc.

At least people won't have to pay for features they won't need or want, they just add in what they do want to use. A most perfect solution for me and i don't have to pay for that stupid on board slow firewire port that perhaps you do want.

I totaly dissagree with you here I'm afraid. Just because something is expandable doesn't make it old technology either. I'd like to see a G4 expandable mainboard that's from the 286 days ;)
Nothing backward about it.
It's not the question, that is the problem, it is the problem, that is the question.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2006, 03:35:44 AM »
@ SHADES

Yeah, it is just my opinion :-)

It's just what i'm looking for. If you want high speed USB, plug it in. if you want a mulit I/O plug that in. Dual NIC? Firewire?
Digital Tuner, Hi Res toaster etc etc etc.

Okay, suit yourself. I'd rather have things onboard, though. And here's why:

At least people won't have to pay for features they won't need or want, they just add in what they do want to use. A most perfect solution for me and i don't have to pay for that stupid on board slow firewire port that perhaps you do want.

The problem is we're still locked in to specific components - none of these boards ship with Amiga drivers, so we need Amiga developers to write them for us. And when the manufacturers phase out and replace their cards with new designs, well, there goes the argument that PCI hardware is cheap and plentiful. Amiga drivers don't exist for the new card - I still need the old one. And I can't go to my local PC megastore and get an SIL680 card - I still need to get it from an Amiga dealer. Look at how much trouble people have had finding a Radeon compatible with OS4. Mounting essential items onboard eliminates these problems.

I totaly dissagree with you here I'm afraid. Just because something is expandable doesn't make it old technology either. I'd like to see a G4 expandable mainboard that's from the 286 days ;)
Nothing backward about it.

Don't get me wrong, I love slots, it's just that I'd rather be filling them with fun things like MPEG decoders and TV tuners, rather than essential system components like IDE and USB.

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2006, 05:26:20 AM »
---
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2006, 05:30:36 AM »
The UDTech board looks like a STB board.  I guess if it works, and is cheap enough, people will find a way to get it into a box.
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline c64_d0c

• Show only replies by c64_d0c
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2006, 01:01:53 PM »
{bleep} HARDWARE DIE!!!!!!!!!!!  :-x
________
Paxil Lawsuit Settlements
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 06:28:42 AM by c64_d0c »
On schedule and rockin\\\'!!!1!!

Offline humppa

• Show only replies by humppa
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2006, 01:05:03 PM »
I guess if it works, and is cheap enough, people will find a way to get it into a box.

One thing is for sure: It won't be cheap.

Offline Savan

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2006, 02:10:45 PM »
Price is not relevant:

Those hobbyists (using the name hyperion) crack me up at times, of course the price is relevant when buying hardware.

Offline Legerdemain

• Show only replies by Legerdemain
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2006, 03:20:55 PM »
I find it rather tragic that people can't seem to behave on communities.

How hard can it be?

Stop trolling.
Stop bashing.

If there is something to dislike... please dislike... but at least try to make them posts look at least like they are TRYING to be CONSTRUCTIVE.
Amiga 1200, Mirage Tower, PC-Key 1200, Blizzard 1260/50, SCSI Kit, 256MB RAM, 40GB HD, Mediator SX, Soundblaster 128, Voodoo 3 and Realtek 8139.

Offline Savan

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2006, 04:01:09 PM »
Yes my last comment went over the top, so will edit it.

Offline Legerdemain

• Show only replies by Legerdemain
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2006, 04:06:15 PM »
@Savan

I'm sorry if it seemed like I aimed my angst towards your post. That wasn't my intention. It was the overall mood of this thread I felt was getting out of hand.
Amiga 1200, Mirage Tower, PC-Key 1200, Blizzard 1260/50, SCSI Kit, 256MB RAM, 40GB HD, Mediator SX, Soundblaster 128, Voodoo 3 and Realtek 8139.

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #29 from previous page: June 08, 2006, 03:34:13 AM »
I'm afraid I can't imagine spending that sort of money for hardware with those specificications even in my wildest dreams, and I'm sure I'm not alone - though the premise that there is a section of the Amiga crowd who will buy anything put in front of them regardless of price and quality has a ring of truth about it.

I can see a few dozen boards being sold, followed by the company providing them going bust and any warranties being voided, leaving a whole bunch of suckers doggedly refusing to accept they made a mistake yet again.

It's actually sad to see the same policies, same mistakes, same promises, same folly and the same pattern repeating ad infinitum. I see that on AWN more and more people are questioning the wisdom of this approach, which shows that you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. Sooner or later you get found out.
Bill Hoggett