Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 20 Questions with Alan Redhouse  (Read 7455 times)

Description:

Offline Magic-Merl

• Show all replies
Re: 20 Questions with Alan Redhouse
« on: June 06, 2005, 02:11:48 PM »
I think Wayne has stated the obvious.

We are "Amiga Enthusiasts" nothing more, not now - not ever will we be a thriving market place and more importantly a healthy community.

If this is the negativity from one of the few men that could truly turn around the Amiga spirit then frankly we are doomed to Spectrum/C64 status.  Actually I take that back - at least the C64 has new hardware out there at the mo!

I think some of Amiga.org's dedicated viewers will turn off with these answers.  In fact with our market dwindling so much I am suprised Alan was even bothered to answer any of the question let alone demonstrate that he see's OS4 as an alternative OS for developing corporate entities.

Roll on AROS. Seems this is the way to go.  How can anyone justify purchasing OS4 based on this information.

Good luck Alan.  I truly hope your company goes from strength to strength - I mean that.  It's just a shame that, maybe un-intentionally, you have driven another nail into the Amiga coffin.

Shame.

Offline Magic-Merl

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 03:05:21 PM »
Granted it is easier, much easier, to finally rest and say we are hobbyist'.

This is not so much of an issue for most - lets be honest most of us gave up waiting for that new piece of hardware a long long time ago.

But I can see why people are going to be upset.  They want to invest their money into something other than Windoze.  Lets be honest - this is mainly the reason why alot of us here tend to use AROS/Linux/BSD/MacOS. (Not that I have any figures to corrobarate this)

From the inception of the A1 to the Beta's of OS4 I have been waiting for nigh on a decade for something new and truly wish there was something.  But alas no.  I think the best we can hope for is the Amiga in a joystick where we can play Kick Off and 1000 other games 'till our hearts content.

I do feel sorry for all of those people who believed that there was a saviour for our platform and I really wished that Alan would be the man but following his comments my heart grows weary knowing full well that the man never had any intention of delivering on his promises.  On further inspection - the man invested, financially, into OS4 so why would he now insist that it's a hobbyist OS.  Has he given up?  I think he has.  But atleast we know that yet another man whose company promised us the world has let the community down - and no doubt profitted - yet again.

Wayne - we are hobbyists - Alan we are enthusiasts and until something better comes along we will stay that way it's just a shame you missed the boat.  Lets hope something as positive  as the original Amiga lies waiting sometime in the years to come and we embrace it never to let it die and go to computer heaven.

To Amiga.  The first truly amazing desktop computer.  Long may you live in emulation purgatory.

Long live Amiga.org

Offline Magic-Merl

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 05:07:56 PM »
In this day and age what spec will catch the eye of the user.

State of the art video capture out of the box with something like fruity loops as standard to write soundtracks.

full 3D sprites and ituitive development environment.

That would take years to develop.  I agree with you that this is what is needed.  But there is never going to be a chance of this happening.

Offline Magic-Merl

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 06:32:43 PM »
Quote :

I don't understand why anyone should hate windows these days as they did (rightfully so, during it's early, uprising stages)? It's remarkably stable.

So is Fedora and quite frankly a pleasure to use.  That is not the issue.

I do agree with Unisys in that Alan is personally responsible for company policy within Eyetech and he personally - lets say misinformed - the "Amiga Enthuiast" into believing the A1 was the way to go.

As a businessman would he have made that comment prior to the A1 being manufactured/distributed. NO.

No he did it once the sales had dwindled and there was very little left in it for himself.

I feel sorry for the likes of Hyperion.  The years of development of OS4, the dedication of it's staff so that one person piss on the one burning fire left within the community.

This sounds like a very big Ebay scam, a little more organised but the intention was to provide a dated product to a hungry market with a bleak future.

Offline Magic-Merl

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2005, 06:45:04 PM »
When I first started to use Linux and started to delve into it's features I once read a question from another newbie which went along the lines of -:

Question - I am trying to install many applications onto my Linux box as I can to make it comparable to my Windows 200 setup.  One thing I am trying to locate is a program to defrag the hard drive can anyone help.

Answer - THIS is linux - not Windows. We don't need to defrag.

Testament to an OS & it's filesystem.  Not that I am promoting Linux as there are many alternatives, I used Windoze since it's inception way way back and I don't believe you can justify an OS so bloated and unreliable.  I know it's unreliable because why else would you need to repair the registry so often.

Offline Magic-Merl

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2005, 06:54:48 PM »
@ x56h34

Granted you are right.  But there is OS4 still to come and potentially he has destroyed it's market.

Who will develop for hardware that Alan says he will no longer develop.

As for the past, I believe Alan knew what he was doing and still does.  I didn't buy the A1 myself so I have no vested interest or emotional attachment to the hardware (if there is such a thing).  He kept a dream alive, yes, I never claimed he made millions - but he must have recouped beyond his development costs otherwise he would not have made such damaging comments.

If OS4 see's the light of day the A1 may be developed further but for now that is not going to happen and I would be very suprised if many "Amiga Enthusiasts" would buy from Eyetech anyway.

The unfortunate thing is - OS4 is tied to the A1 hardware and like it or not Alan still may see profit from his callous comments.

Offline Magic-Merl

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 12:29:42 PM »
Does it matter?