Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Guru Meditation Offers AmigaOne XE Repairs  (Read 8444 times)

Description:

Offline Herewegoagain

• Show all replies
    • Http://www.ncscaug.us
Re: Guru Meditation Offers AmigaOne XE Repairs
« on: January 30, 2005, 02:27:04 PM »
Poster: Waccoon  Posted: 2005/1/29 21:25:28

I'd make sense to me for Eyetech to offer free ATA cards as an alternative to shipping back your motherboard. Maybe they'd like to turn this into something positive by making some drivers for a SATA card, allowing AmigaOne users to have SATA? Trust me, once you've used it, you won't want to use ATA100 ever again.

AmigaOne/OS4 already have a SATA driver, so they can already start using serial ATA drives.  It is specific to one chipset for now but still available.  See the following link...

http://amigaworld.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1841
North and South Carolina Users interested in a \\\'local\\\' user group should visit NCSC Amiga Users Group page and sign up for membership. It\\\'s free!

Offline Herewegoagain

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 01:21:04 PM »
@Waccoon

Poster: Waccoon  Posted: 2005/1/30 17:53:23

Cool. So, when do Amiga users get the hardware for free if they don't want to ship their mobos in the mail and wait a few weeks?

Also, does it support all the stuff offered by SATA, such as hot-swapping, or is it just a PATA to SATA bridge?

I've have heard some things about the SiI3112A chip corrupting information in RAID configuration from various Linux forums, though. Anyone know about this problem?

Well, the cards are cheap enough (~$15-$18USD) so it's not too expensive if one has to actually buy it.

About the SATA, it's not a PATA->SATA bridge, as that would be physical hardware.  It is a fully functioning SATA driver for SATA PCI cards... Well, it doesn't support the RAID function under OS4, as I understood it, but other than that it features all of the other SATA benefits.

As far as data corruption under Linux with that chipset... ?  I have no idea.
North and South Carolina Users interested in a \\\'local\\\' user group should visit NCSC Amiga Users Group page and sign up for membership. It\\\'s free!

Offline Herewegoagain

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2005, 06:55:45 PM »
Poster: DrBombcrater  Posted: 2005/1/31 11:24:27

Err... no. The SATA driver has not been publically released so SATA is, for the vast majority of A1 owners, not an option.

Hmmm... Looks like you are correct.  I was sure that that news item originally had a download link, but looking over it, I see that I'm mistaken.  But, there is a driver that is already working, just not publically available yet.