Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Guru Meditation Offers AmigaOne XE Repairs  (Read 8319 times)

Description:

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
Re: Guru Meditation Offers AmigaOne XE Repairs
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2005, 01:12:10 AM »
some people will be able to do it themself.

I sure some are quite capable of performing this fix. There are also some people who think they are quite capable of performing this fix, but are not. Do you really want to see forums full of posts like the screwdriver ROM socket removal?

Offline Argo

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2005, 01:13:01 AM »
Can we discuss this without the smearing and mud slinging?

Offline Argo

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2005, 01:28:50 AM »
If the third party is an official dealer, they should be authorised to do warranty repairs.

Yes, they should be authorized by the manufacturer. Though only Eyetech knows who that is. Eyetech should be providing the authorizer retailers/resellers with a back channel to the manufacturer. They should be trying less to be the front man of a manufaturer they got to produce the boards and more of a distributor.
It might be a better idea for them to separate the two, as they seem to want to be a manufaturer but operate as a distributor at the same time. They may need to separate the A1 production bussiness from their retail/distrobution business. Have a separate business or unit that licences and outsources the production of motherboards and another unit with is just product distrobution/retails sales. They could have Eyetech Industries Ltd. and Eyetech Distrubution Ltd both under Eyetech Group Ltd.  I think it would bring clarity of purpose that would help make things work more smoothly.

Offline Argo

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2005, 01:42:56 AM »
they have missed to read that tiny sentence on the newsitem:    Quote:  If you purchased your board directly from Guru Meditation, only payment for the shipping costs are required.    In fact it's not that tiny, relative to the whole text, why they didn't read it, escapes me.

Guru Mediation also mentioned, I think on AW, that other dealer should be offering the same service in the next coming weeks. They just seem to be the first to get things setup. Assuming other dealers offer the same deal for the repair service, then it would be free. That is if your dealer is offering the service. Okay people, contact your dealer you purchased your A1 from and ask about repair service for these issues.

P.S. I'm not sure why if would void an active warranty. Anyone care to ask their dealer?

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2005, 02:25:28 AM »
Argo:  Okay people, contact your dealer you purchased your A1 from and ask about repair service for these issues.

Good idea.  Has anyone around here had real-life experience with Eyetech about this issue they'd like to share, instead of just throwing around wild speculation?  MIA has already proven to be very unhelpful, but there has to be a real answer, somewhere.

I'd make sense to me for Eyetech to offer free ATA cards as an alternative to shipping back your motherboard.  Maybe they'd like to turn this into something positive by making some drivers for a SATA card, allowing AmigaOne users to have SATA?  Trust me, once you've used it, you won't want to use ATA100 ever again.  :-)

Offline JoannaK

• Show only replies by JoannaK
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2005, 03:38:21 AM »
Mikeymike:
  My understanding of the problem's history is that it was only last year that the problem was properly nailed down to a particular cause.

Point of this discussion ain't when *you* heard of those problems, or *if* you'll be able to understand electronics well enough to understand harsh realities behind smoke&mirrors publicicity.

Point is: When those problems were first found (2002- onward depending of BUG.. and there's been plenty) and when they are fixed under warranty? (never so far.. and we're at 2005 now)

If it really takes them two or three years to *Locate* obvious bugs, then it's definitely their lack of interest (or tallent) to blame. Furthermore there is no excuse for keep selling more boards without intention to fix old ones.  

PS: About Eyetech. Originally *They* claimed to be Manufaturers of A1 boards.. By now it's well known  and widely accepted fact that they didn't have any expertise nor did they do any actual design work (or testing) besides slapping their Name-sticker atop of them.

If this were 5 cent BallpoinPen made in HongKong, I would not care a lot if those don't work more than two weeks.. But for *Thousand* Euro Motherboard I'd expect a *bit* more. Escpeially since they are Tainting the "Good old NAME" with their questionable actions...

Offline EntilZha

• Show only replies by EntilZha
    • http://www.hyperion-entertainment.com
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2005, 11:27:39 AM »
@ KennyR

Actually, I'm long since past caring about the A1 or its bugs or even it's users

Obviously not, otherwise, you would have stayed away from posting. But then, you are one of the "intelligent" part of the species, and probably have to enlighten us poor stupid suckers.
- Thomas

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2005, 12:31:17 PM »
EntilZha wrote:
Obviously not, otherwise, you would have stayed away from posting. But then, you are one of the "intelligent" part of the species, and probably have to enlighten us poor stupid suckers.

Spare me your crass patronising. The A1's status speaks for itself and hardly needs anyone to make it sound worse. I wouldn't have even bothered to comment in this thread if it wasn't for the tired old "Anti-Amiga" accusation, especially since it has started to become so common again on this site. What you people love to keep forgetting is that there was an Amiga before the "AmigaONE", and that there are many forms of Amiga that don't follow Amiga Inc's licencing. Being critical of the A1 != Anti-Amiga.

Offline seer

• Show only replies by seer
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2005, 01:04:01 PM »
Being critical of the A1 != Anti-Amiga.

Then why the harsh posts from A1 owners directed at Eyetech on Amigaworld.net about the same news ?
~
Everything you say will be misquoted and used against you.
~

Offline System

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2005, 01:29:16 PM »
@seer,

At this point, everyone seems to be filled with "cynicism" (some would call it {bleep}) regarding the Amiga situation.  After 5 (I would say 8) years of letdowns and broken promises, a certain amount of skepticism is perfectly reasonable and expectable.

Keep in mind though that some (like "Amiga"Zeux members) are being bribed with free machines to perform "guerilla marketing" tactics for the Pegasos platform.  As such, anything that those particular people -- including KennyR -- have to say can and should be taken in the correct pretense of supporting their own platform while condemning everything else.  Relax, because I would say the same about anyone who receives free AmigaOne hardware then starts attacking Pegasos users on public forums.

Indeed according to posts elsewhere, (at least some) AmigaZeux members have been essentially paid in hardware by Genesi to troll by negativity and anyone who dares to say differently is -- according to them -- obviously just a "stupid Amiga Inc cheerleader".  

The fact that MorphOS took a strong hit recently (it's not dead, but definitely lying on the mat following a strong uppercut) simply makes their need to strike out against AmigaOne supporters that much stronger.  Now pathetically for some, the Amiga situation has become a game of "if MorphOS doesn't survive, it's my mission to make sure that AmigaOS doesn't survive either".

Let me be very clear.  I hate this.  I hate the fact that MorphOS has fallen victim to the Genesi curse.  Having used MorphOS, it was a very cool alternative to the classic Amiga and while I personally have very serious problems with BBRV, I *hate* seeing the programmers (many of whom I personally consider friends) suffer.  Every member of the MorphOS team that I know worked very long and very hard to reach the light at the end of the tunnel, only to be met by an oncoming train.

That doesn't excuse the new wave of "anti-Amiga" trolling launched by those community members who're simply bitter over the MorphOS situation.

Wayne

Offline seer

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2005, 01:37:24 PM »
a certain amount of skepticism is perfectly reasonable and expectable.

Agreed, but in this case, some/most of these XE boards are AFAIK/IIRC Beta boards, and sold "as is", weren't they ?

As for my response to KennyR, lots of people say "everybody" on AW is only Pro Amiga and nothing bad can be said about Amiga / Eyetech / Hyperion  or you're a blue troll. Clearly, this is not true.

Now pathetically for some, the Amiga situation has become a game of "if MorphOS doesn't survive, it's my mission to make sure that AmigaOS doesn't survive either".

I for one hope that MOS stays afloat. It may not get official (kernel) updates, but who knows. OpenMOS anyone ? :-)
~
~

Offline System

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2005, 01:46:53 PM »
As for my response to KennyR, lots of people say "everybody" on AW is only Pro Amiga and nothing bad can be said about Amiga / Eyetech / Hyperion or you're a blue troll. Clearly, this is not true.

Most of the people involved are being a bit childish and refuse to accept that there are some people (like myself) who strongly believed that both solutions were cool in their own ways.  Indeed, if you read the posts of some, such as Kenny Richardson and his counterpart Mike Bouma, they practice a level of... let's call it marketing.. where "if you're not 100% on my side, you are my enemy".  A stupid presumption at best.

Both solutions are cool in their own ways.  Both have had the same problems, and both are currently trying to survive.  This "war" is stupid and the sooner that the extremists in our midst realize that, the sooner both solutions can move forward.

Strangely enough, NOW is the time that ALL egos need to be set aside to work towards the future.  Looking at some people's net activity however, it's readily apparent that they think their own ego and "redvsblueism" is the only thing they have left to cling to.

Wayne

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2005, 01:47:51 PM »
Wow...it's been a while since a saw an old-fashioned blue vs red mudslinging thread. Shall I bring in popcorn or is everybody done now?

Offline System

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2005, 01:48:36 PM »
I for one hope that MOS stays afloat. It may not get official (kernel) updates, but who knows. OpenMOS anyone ?
MOS isn't dead, it's just in a new coccoon morphing again..

Wayne

Offline System

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2005, 01:54:03 PM »
not trying to sling mud.  I'm just trying to make sure that everyone realizes that not everyone here is standing in the open when throwing snowballs.  While some are heroically standing in the open field lobbing snow grenades.  Others are specifically trying to cower behind walls and attack the other "side" from the safety of their own foxholes.

Only if everyone is out in the open will we see why the war is happening in the first place.

Wayne

Offline seer

« Reply #44 from previous page: January 30, 2005, 01:58:20 PM »
Only if everyone is out in the open will we see why the war is happening in the first place.

To bad the first one(s) to come (came) out into the open are (were) shot down rather fast.
~
~