Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Guru Meditation Offers AmigaOne XE Repairs  (Read 8361 times)

Description:

Offline drHirudo

• Show only replies by drHirudo
    • http://hirudov.com
Re: Guru Meditation Offers AmigaOne XE Repairs
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2005, 11:48:41 AM »
As usual the antiAmiga people are doing their trolling through negativity, and probably they have missed to read that tiny sentence on the newsitem:

If you purchased your board directly from Guru Meditation, only payment for the shipping costs are required.

In fact it's not that tiny, relative to the whole text, why they didn't read it, escapes me.

If you are near Guru Meditation you won't even need to paid the shippment I guess.

I was one of the unfortunate persons who bought a defective 80GB Seagate HD model, which overspindled the head, corrupting the bootsector and making the partitions dissapear. I heard it's a firmware flaw. It was manifactured by Seagate but I haven't contacted Seagate about the problem, also I don't think they would answer about this. Neither I tried sending it to them for replacement. Just searched their site for some information about this, but found nothing about the problem, I read it on another site. What I did is that I just took the HD to my vendor told them about the problem and that I want to replace it with another model. So it was replaced with another without any additional cost. I asked what about the data. They just smiled at me.

Offline FrankBrana

• Show only replies by FrankBrana
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2005, 03:41:16 PM »
@Lemplee & IKIR

Just let me clarify some things.

Its good for XE users that GGS is offering a fix for the mobbo. Its very good indeed since until now they have to put a SIL card in order to get dma and ethernet at the same time.

But, its really a mess situation that eyetech didnt recongniced the fault before (Im not sure about USBs, but DMA related fault its long known) and take care of the stuff the were selling.

For the record, its a mess that eyetech doesnt honeur the warranty with users, at least with DMA fault since they known it.

I think i didnt missunderstod nothing. Its only my point of view.

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2005, 05:03:29 PM »
DrHirudo wrote:
As usual the antiAmiga people are doing their trolling through negativity...

Not negativity, a little thing called cynicism that we human beings evolved, and found in the more intelligent of our species. (Possibly we evolved it while knocking our head against palm trees to get coconuts, where it was useful to preserve us against giving ourselves brain damage banging our heads against oak trees waiting for coconuts.)

The A1 situation sucks. Having to get an essential repair done when you've just purchased the (very expensive) thing sucks. Having to have your warranty invalidated to get that repair sucks. But what sucks most of all, is whining and labeling people ordinary people "Anti-Amiga" because they realise how crappy the situation is and don't like it.

Offline drHirudo

• Show only replies by drHirudo
    • http://hirudov.com
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2005, 06:14:42 PM »
Not negativity, a little thing called cynicism that we human beings evolved, and found in the more intelligent of our species.

I respect you ego by saying that your are in the more inteligent part of your human species, but after reading this:
(Possibly we evolved it while knocking our head against palm trees to get coconuts, where it was useful to preserve us against giving ourselves brain damage banging our heads against oak trees waiting for coconuts.)
I must clarify that only someone with extremely poor biological knowedge would say this. But what we know the nonhumans. Whatever back on the topic.

The A1 situation sucks.
Hearing this from a person who doesn't own A1 at all, sounds little untrustworthy at least.
Having to get an essential repair done when you've just purchased the (very expensive) thing sucks.
Can you explain me what essential repair I have to get done with my microAmigaOne?
Can you tell me where I can purchase XE board which will need the repair just after I get it, now?

Having to have your warranty invalidated to get that repair sucks.

Some of the XE boards have been purchased more than two years ago. How their warranty will get invalidated when it have expired already?

But what sucks most of all, is whining and labeling people ordinary people "Anti-Amiga" because they realise how crappy the situation is and don't like it.

If you haven't noticed these ordinary whining and labeling "Anti-Amiga" people have the same names, don't have A1 hardware at all, and some other common among them is that they are posing most of the time their interest in other hardware, which is always irrelevelant to the discussion at all. I  understand why this situation sucks for you. This sucks for me as well.

And if you haven't noticed I am being sarcastical, something which is little harder to do than being cynical. If you really believe your evolution theory just go knocking your head and one day your species might get enlightened about this.

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2005, 07:25:11 PM »
Poster: mikeymike  Posted: 2005/1/29 5:15:29

Because the standard warranty period is now over?

ASUS is three year warranty, what's Amiga Inc's, ahh, Eyetech, ahh, Teron's mobo warranty?  

Dammy
Head Troll
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2005, 07:34:20 PM »
DrHirudo wrote:
I must clarify that only someone with extremely poor biological knowedge would say this. But what we know the nonhumans. Whatever back on the topic.

You seem not to have realised that I wasn't being strictly factual, for example: a) Coconuts were probably not ever the staple diet of human beings or their forebears; (b) Oak trees are hardly endemic to Africa where it is thought we evolved; and (c) Headbanging is not thought to have been the most productive form of getting down coconuts, even by Man's ancestors; and (d) the coconut palm isn't a tree. But then allegory doesn't need to be always factual, does it?

Can you explain me what essential repair I have to get done with my microAmigaOne?
Can you tell me where I can purchase XE board which will need the repair just after I get it, now?

And can you first tell me where the original article or someone else mentioned microA1s or what they have to do with the close on 600 XE machines already sold or this deal? And what if the new fixed XE's have more bugs that need to be fixed? Obviously we've learned warranty won't cover it, isn't that a bad thing? Why would you choose to overlook this, and instead blame it on the "Anti-Amiga" trolls being negative?

Some of the XE boards have been purchased more than two years ago. How their warranty will get invalidated when it have expired already?

Active keyword, "some". Actually probably the vast majority, but still not "all". Whatever the situation, it's not a good one that ANYONE would have to invalidate a warranty on such an expensive and rare piece of kit, for ANY reason.

If you haven't noticed these ordinary whining and labeling "Anti-Amiga" people have the same names, don't have A1 hardware at all, and some other common among them is that they are posing most of the time their interest in other hardware, which is always irrelevelant to the discussion at all. I understand why this situation sucks for you. This sucks for me as well.

So basically what you're saying is, "If you don't have an A1, you're not allowed to have an opinion on it." Such a marvellous getout clause for not actually having an answer to the concerns raised here. At least you are right about me not having an A1; but I did actually plan to get one, until I was put off by the continous worries over its fitness for use (and price effectiveness), a decision I guess is allegorical to me realising I'd encountered an oak tree. Actually, I'm long since past caring about the A1 or its bugs or even it's users, it's the quick labeling of anyone with any criticism of really iffy situations as "Anti-Amiga" that gets right up my nose.

Offline legion

• Show only replies by legion
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2005, 08:57:23 PM »
@KennyR

That's a pretty long post for being "long since past caring about the A1 or its bugs or even it's users."

These things happen, people.  JoannaK mentioned a few recalls, but I'm sitting next to my 3 boxen here, one of which has a VIA KT266 rev. "A" board.  Those of you familiar will note that the rev. "B" fixed certain issues with the chipset, but there was definately no recall for any manufacturer making boards with this chipset.  

My other spare box has an old AMD-756 chipset (first gen Athlon, Slot A) which also had problems.  

When OS4 final is released, I will buy whichever Amiga is available, XE or micro.  I will pay a *little* too much, but in the end it's JUST A HOBBY (as Wayne is fond of saying) and honestly... I just don't care.  I can make $200 on a good weekend working my part-time job. I'll gladly pay the premium to again have an Amiga, on my KVM switch.

IMHO.  

:-)
Have you hugged your KennyR or Paul Gadd today?

Offline Wilse

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2005, 09:46:12 PM »
I just wanted to point out that this 'essential' repair, isn't essential for everybody.

Until my usage of my A1 becomes obviously impaired by this problem, I won't be getting the fix.

As it gradually becomes my main machine, I may decide to get the fix but only if I feel a need to do so.

At present that need is not there.

Offline Framiga

• Show only replies by Framiga
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2005, 10:05:34 PM »
Not negativity, a little thing called cynicism that we human beings evolved, and found in the more intelligent of our species. (Possibly we evolved it while knocking our head against palm trees to get coconuts, where it was useful to preserve us against giving ourselves brain damage banging our heads against oak trees waiting for coconuts.)

mhhh . . . whats wrong with those approach :-?

its dangerous?

grunt! :crazy:

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2005, 10:10:38 PM »
Fact is, Eyetech doesn't stand behind their products.  These bugs have been known for years (ie. during the "warranty period").  Eyetech should have sposored the fixes  Instead they did nothing.

Eyetech doesn't care about the Amiga.

I applaud Guru Meditation for offering this service.  It's just a shame that the manufacturer doesn't stand behind their product.  It's things like this that cause people to leave the Amiga, and keep new users from coming.
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2005, 10:40:00 PM »
adolescent wrote:
Fact is, Eyetech doesn't stand behind their products. These bugs have been known for years (ie. during the "warranty period"). Eyetech should have sposored the fixes Instead they did nothing.

My understanding of the problem's history is that it was only last year that the problem was properly nailed down to a particular cause.

To say there is a problem with DMA on a motherboard is like a detective trying to track down a criminal, releasing the statement "he's on the planet Earth".  To fix a DMA problem on a motherboard requires the problem to be researched down to a specific scenario and cause.

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2005, 11:27:55 PM »
@mikeymike

Edited by Admin: Personal Attack

These problems did appear during the warranty-period, and therefore it
falls under warranty even if the fix was only found out much later.

Actually this just means that costumers had the right for a full
refund.

But atleast it can now be seen as prooven that atleast one of the
official reasons behind "the licence" was just made up.
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2005, 11:45:18 PM »
@mikeymike

The fix might have been found last year, but the problems have been known for some time.  Even Alan Redhouse confirmed, and said they had pinpointed, the DMA bug way back in Nov. 2003.  And, no action to this day.

Eyetech can not be trusted.
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline mrsad

• Show only replies by mrsad
    • http://members.chello.be/ws36055/
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2005, 12:45:06 AM »
what i would like is the schematics/howtos made available of how to fix the bug. some people will be able to do it themself. why keep the solution secret? does anybody have details?  :-?
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken.

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2005, 01:06:06 AM »
Eyetech is the distributor of the AmigaOne boards. God knows who the manufacturer is!

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #29 from previous page: January 30, 2005, 01:12:10 AM »
some people will be able to do it themself.

I sure some are quite capable of performing this fix. There are also some people who think they are quite capable of performing this fix, but are not. Do you really want to see forums full of posts like the screwdriver ROM socket removal?