Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Guru Meditation Offers AmigaOne XE Repairs  (Read 8353 times)

Description:

Offline reflectTopic starter

• Show only replies by reflect
    • http://www.acggbg.org
Guru Meditation Offers AmigaOne XE Repairs
« on: January 28, 2005, 09:51:28 PM »
We are happy to offer an AmigaOne XE repair service for boards with non-functioning USB & DMA/Ethernet.

Before contacting us, please consider the following:

ANY WORK UNDERTAKEN WILL INVALIDATE YOUR WARRANTY AND WILL BE AT YOUR OWN RISK
WE CANNOT OFFER ANY WARRANTY OR EXTEND AN EXISTING WARRANTY

If you still wish the work to be carried out and you understand that it will be at your risk, then please contact us via email.

Once we have received your request, we shall reply with a booking number. You will then be contacted with a request for you to send us your board. When sending the board, please package it carefully, preferably using the original packaging.

Remember to use anti-static precautions when handling your board. Please use an anti-static bag to put the board in. It is also recommended that heavy heatsink/fan combinations are securely wrapped to avoid movement during transit.

It is always wise to insure your parcel.

If you purchased your board directly from Guru Meditation, only payment for the shipping costs are required.
If you did not buy your board from Guru Meditation, the repair work will cost 30 Euros + Shipping.

The repair work will be carried out by professionals.
Turnaround time is approximately 2 weeks from the day that you send us your board.

DO NOT SEND YOUR BOARD WITHOUT HAVING RECEIVED YOUR BOOKING NUMBER.

In tandem with this, we also have a special offer on the Swiftech heatsink. Buy it at the same time and we'll install it for you at no extra cost.

www.gurumeditation.se.
--
These are interesting times we live in. New machines in progress, new AmigaOS in progress.. userbase slowly, slowly growing..  which is a success in itself.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
Re: Guru Meditation Offers AmigaOne XE Repairs
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 10:08:15 PM »
Good price, you'll probably get alot of business.

Why doesn't Eyetech honor the warranty though? That's pretty bad.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005, 10:28:15 PM »
Why doesn't Eyetech honour the warranty after some other company has repaired/tried to repair it?

The same as any other company wouldn't honour the warranty if a third party got involved.

Offline FrankBrana

• Show only replies by FrankBrana
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 10:44:31 PM »
I think this situation for One owners is totally mess.

The One owners have bought a relative expensive product as the One XE is. Then most of the have to stuck with linux and later with an unfinished -quite lovely indeed :-) - Os, but then they get noticed that the hard doesnt go as were supossed to.

Eyetech doesnt make honour the warranty - IMO they will have to solve the problem to every and each one of the One onwners for free of course -

Now some ppl claim there is a workaround relative easy to do, but the owners have to ship worldwide his beloved board to a 3rd party, which voids "warranty" and pay X bucks to get the his Aone working as it was supossed to work when bought...

its totally mess, and at least IMO the fix must be under public domain, because most of users wanna do by themselfs. Anyway, as eyetech doesnt do nothing, the users are under its own right to try.

Just my point of view.

PS: Only clarify that Im not Aone owner

Offline reflectTopic starter

• Show only replies by reflect
    • http://www.acggbg.org
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2005, 10:50:47 PM »
Considering most XE owners no longer have warranty, this is a good thing(tm) if I may say so myself.
--
These are interesting times we live in. New machines in progress, new AmigaOS in progress.. userbase slowly, slowly growing..  which is a success in itself.

Offline FrankBrana

• Show only replies by FrankBrana
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2005, 10:59:35 PM »
"Considering most XE owners no longer have warranty, this is a good thing(tm) if I may say so myself."

Yeah. They have stopped selling Xe model, so if they waits another while without freeing the fix, all the owners will be out of warranty, and the very eyetech will can ask for some euro for fix the very same mobbos they sold as fully working condition :P

Offline mikeymike

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2005, 11:17:39 PM »
IMO they will have to solve the problem to every and each one of the One onwners for free of course -

Something that *no* mobo manufacturer has ever done, in my experience.

AFAIK the workaround involves an IDE card and an ethernet card.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2005, 11:21:46 PM »
Why doesn't Eyetech honour the warranty after some other company has repaired/tried to repair it?

The same as any other company wouldn't honour the warranty if a third party got involved.

If the third party is an official dealer, they should be authorised to do warranty repairs. That's not even my point, my point is Eyetech appear to be dodging their responsibilities. If Eyetech were handling warranties there would be no need for 3rd parties.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2005, 12:26:08 AM »
FrankB:i think u missunderstood the whole thing but ok i wont bother to explain or whatever.

i do agree that eyetech should warrent the repair jobs ofcourse but ohwell.

anyway i doubt guru meditation will be the only shop in europe /scandinavia to do the fix, im sure some other shop will too soon...its just a matter of time.
Whats up with all the hate!

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2005, 03:43:12 AM »
Good price and good news for AmigaOne XE owners.  Obviously the warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on, so losing it is no big deal.  Shame on Eyetech.

Offline JoannaK

• Show only replies by JoannaK
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2005, 04:51:06 AM »
About 'no Mobo manufacturer' part.. You apparently don't follow Real World too closely.

http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/
Apple Ibook Motherboard Switch program.  (ok.. they call it Logic-board.. but it's the same thing)

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20923
MSI Recalls/replaces batch of Mis-made boards *before* they reach end-users.

etc.. it happens all the time... Everywhere expect in Amigaland.

Beasides: AFAIK your AFAYK is bogus. For lucky ones, those add.on cards have given relif, but they don't fix all the brolems on all the cards. Not to mention other problems (like USB) that aren't affected by adding Sound/Ide/Ethernet cards (at user's expence)

And even then.. Eyetech has not shown responsibility HW manufacturer (as they claim to be) should. They have been sweeping these issues under the rug over two years now.

Offline mikeymike

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2005, 10:15:29 AM »
Good price and good news for AmigaOne XE owners. Obviously the warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on, so losing it is no big deal. Shame on Eyetech.

Because the standard warranty period is now over?

Offline mikeymike

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2005, 10:31:23 AM »
@ JoannaK

Your first example involves an unusable computer.

Your second example doesn't specify what the resulting problem would be for the end user, but actually putting the *wrong* part on a piece of equipment does suggest that it will go very much up the creek at one point or another.

And PS: I said "in my experience".  I didn't say I had the entire history of motherboard recalls memorised.

How can my "AFAIK" be be "bogus"?  Bogus implies I'm trying mislead people.

And even then.. Eyetech has not shown responsibility HW manufacturer (as they claim to be) should. They have been sweeping these issues under the rug over two years now.

Eyetech isn't a motherboard manufacturer.  If anything, MAI should have admitted the problem, and you're right, it should have been admitted sooner.  AFAIK about the problem, one of the standard tests I run on a new motherboard would have picked that up, a large network transfer to an IDE disk.  It's pretty poor that it wasn't picked up.  But if my understanding of the problem is accurate, Eyetech should have picked up the problem when they were putting the board through its paces for the first time before making a volume purchase.

And btw, you seem to be trying to attack *me* here.  I'm not defending Eyetech's behaviour, I'm just clueing people in on how companies in the real world typically work, and no, it's not with the highest of moral standards.

An example of what is apparently considered pretty standard behaviour - a few years ago, Intel used to sell (and carried on selling until the motherboard was superseded), the Intel D845(can't remember which type, might have been G).  Now this model of motherboard had a similar fault, a glaring one that should have been picked up in testing - If the PCI bandwidth usage (including AGP) went over 90MB/sec, the machine crashed.  Considering a Windows machine sitting idle will manage to take quite a bit of that through driving the graphics of a high-res display, that's not very difficult.  In fact, the same test, a large network transfer over the network, showed up the issue.  Intel had *actually* known about the issue for at least a year, it had been confirmed way before I noticed it, but that didn't stop them just (and only) filing a reference to it in the erratum for the motherboard in the developer docs of their website.  Customer-friendly, huh?

At the end of the day, the manufacturer decides *could* the product do what it is supposed to be able to, by the average customer's usage of it?  Like if the secondary IDE channel can't do DMA to save its life, the average customer can still burn a CD in PIO.  It totally sucks performance-wise, but they still can.  That's the sort of day-to-day screwing that goes on.

Offline ikir

• Show only replies by ikir
    • http://www.ikirsector.it
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2005, 11:12:44 AM »
Only clarify that Im not Aone owner

Infact  A1XE is my the best Amiga buy for me. It is fast, perfectly usable. The "unfinished os" is simply KICKING ASS already after the first update.

I have a Sil card and i'm using dma since time, i'm going to get the fix in the future only because i have 5-6 ide drives and i want to use dma on all of them :-)

Offline drHirudo

• Show only replies by drHirudo
    • http://hirudov.com
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2005, 11:48:41 AM »
As usual the antiAmiga people are doing their trolling through negativity, and probably they have missed to read that tiny sentence on the newsitem:

If you purchased your board directly from Guru Meditation, only payment for the shipping costs are required.

In fact it's not that tiny, relative to the whole text, why they didn't read it, escapes me.

If you are near Guru Meditation you won't even need to paid the shippment I guess.

I was one of the unfortunate persons who bought a defective 80GB Seagate HD model, which overspindled the head, corrupting the bootsector and making the partitions dissapear. I heard it's a firmware flaw. It was manifactured by Seagate but I haven't contacted Seagate about the problem, also I don't think they would answer about this. Neither I tried sending it to them for replacement. Just searched their site for some information about this, but found nothing about the problem, I read it on another site. What I did is that I just took the HD to my vendor told them about the problem and that I want to replace it with another model. So it was replaced with another without any additional cost. I asked what about the data. They just smiled at me.