Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Free Terratec 512i Digital with Purchase of Mediator  (Read 3105 times)

Description:

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
Re: Free Terratec 512i Digital with Purchase of Mediator
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2003, 12:04:02 PM »
"No. DMA access to the A4000 motherboard is too slow for PCI cards."
Excuse me but Zorro3 scsi cards use DMA without problems the bandwitch is more than enough to develope scsi drivers or ethernet100 drivers that write directly to the fast ram.

Every data you want to take from the mediator and put in the Fast Ram as to pass trough the Zorro3 bus. With a cpu you have to move everything by yourself and depending on the load of the cpu you may not get 100% of the bandwitch, but with DMA you will get more speed than using the CPU because you can write in fast ram/Zorro3 memory area at the maximum speed your memory allows.

BTW can you prove that using the cpu to move data from a ZorroIII memory area to fastram is faster using the cpu than using DMA? If you plug some ram in a Zorro3 ram card you should get nearly the maximum speed of Zorro3, and with a buffers from a harddisk for example created in that memory you wouldn't be able to get more speed writting and reading using the cpu... the maximum speed you can read/write to the PCI gfx ram depends a lot on the mediator. If it had a better design that allowed you to read/write at 16MB/s, then the current design would be somewhat strange but it would be OK. The problem is that the speed is limited by the mediator to ~9MB/s (remember that I'm talking about A3000/4000 version, and they work in a slightly different way than A1200 versions...)

In conclusion:
how can you say that the Mediator4k is well implemented when you can write to a CV64 (not 3D) at 16MB/s and a Mediator4k in the same machine with a Voodoo5 only gives you ~9MB/s?

"CPU sends data from the graphic card memory to fast ram as fast as the turbo/processor card allows. [...] This speed has nothing to do with Mediator. Mediator is prepared for much higher
speeds, up to 132MB/s."
Sorry, that speed is only achieved between PCI slots, and we are talking about the A4000 version, so the design of the mediator as a lot to do with speed... It works as a ZorroIII card and for your information not all ZorroIII cards work as well, you have excellent implementations like CV64 (not 3D) and crappy ones like CV3D. You can use DMA like in a FastLane Z3 or you can use the CPU like in a PoweflyerZ4. There are different ways of making a ZorroIII card and Mediator3000/4000 is far from being optimal...

"What is a problem? It is obvious that if you would like to use DMA to the motherboard you need to update the buster to rev.9 as a minimum."

The problem is that it gets exactly the same speed because every data movement from the mediator to the fastram is done by the cpu, just because it doesn't do DMA between the Mediator and the FastRam... That's the reason the Buster doesn't matter

"Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zorro3 should give you a bandwitch of 16MB/s with a gfx card (like a CV64 not 3D), not around 10MB (on the 4k version) like now with a Mediator4k or a Picasso4...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This bandwidth depends on the processor card, not on Mediator."
In the 1200 version yes, in the 4000 version NO. In the 4000 version Mediator is no more than a Z3 card and mediator's design affects a lot to the performance of PCI cards.

"I have never heard that anybody has more than two stable operating DMA cards with a Grex.
So, drivers for them are useless "
Maybe you are talking about the 1200 version, which only has 2 DMA slots. In the G-Rex 4000 all slots have DMA.

"USB for Grex is vapourware."
at the moment yes.

"OpenPCI is nothing interesting for Mediator users. Mediator has MANY more drivers than other PCI solutions. See here "
Voodoo3/4/5, Permedia2, SiS, BT878/848, SB128, Terratec,Ethernet10/Ethernet100,etc... The only driver Mediator has and G-Rex has not is USB.

Anyway you can't register Poseidon if you buy a Spider now, so it's a card without drivers unless you are a pirate.

So I guess I can say that the Spider is "vapourware" because you have not (legal) way to make it work (or you won't have in 10 days if Elbox doesn't come to an agreement with Chris Hodges).
LOL  :-D
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline Crumb

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2003, 12:13:25 PM »
"Mediator users used Voodoo5 when Grex was not there at all  "
I doubt that because the first Voodoo5 drivers were CGX, see old vgr news archive...

"Prometheus is not supported any more. The guy who designed it withdrew from this project altogether. He even sold his own Prometheus recently."
It is supported by OpenPCI.library, as the Prometheus is well documented the drivers developed in other OpenPCI.library compliant systems work without modifications. And the best of all is that these drivers are free and work in almost every Amiga platform (Pegasos/Amithlon/Prometheus/G-Rex) It was stupid from Elbox to force Titan not to release it... they didn't want people saw that they can make work an Ethernet100 without buying their MMCD...

"Slow? Their drivers are excellent and very fast. I had about 950kB/s with an Ethernet card."
Pretty poor for an Ethernet100

"In my opinion the DMA gfx buffer idea developed by them is an excellent solution to bypass limitations of present-day turbo cards."
In mine opinion it is a hack, but it is crappy because you get less speed from a PCI gfx card than from a well made Zorro3 gfx card.
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline ikir

• Show only replies by ikir
    • http://www.ikirsector.it
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2003, 02:37:38 PM »
I totally agree with tjaoz, he explain the thing perfectly.

i like elbox very much and i support they... the only thing tha i don't like is the Poseidon/OS4/Picasso96 Elbox politics.

I'll buy a spider and a shark only it they support theri author, and these products will have OFFICIAL drivers.

Offline ikir

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2003, 02:40:13 PM »
"""Pretty poor for an Ethernet100""""

Slow? Are you drunk again? :-o  Do you confuse Mbit and Mbyte?

Offline platon42

• Show only replies by platon42
    • http://www.platon42.de/
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2003, 10:54:22 PM »
tjaoz (Rat) and you aren't siamese twins by any chance? Because you always say the same.
--
Regards, Chris Hodges )-> http://www.platon42.de <-(
hackerkey://v4sw7CJS$hw6/7ln6pr7+8AOP$ck0ma8u2LMw1/4Xm5l3i5TJCOTextPad/e7t2BDMNb7GHLen5a34s5IMr1g3/5ACM

Offline platon42

• Show only replies by platon42
    • http://www.platon42.de/
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2003, 10:56:06 PM »
For 100MBit Ethernet, that normally does about 7 MegaByte per second on any PC, yes, 900KB is really poor. My HydraNexus (10MBit) did about 700KB with AmiTCP.
--
Regards, Chris Hodges )-> http://www.platon42.de <-(
hackerkey://v4sw7CJS$hw6/7ln6pr7+8AOP$ck0ma8u2LMw1/4Xm5l3i5TJCOTextPad/e7t2BDMNb7GHLen5a34s5IMr1g3/5ACM

Offline AmiGR

• Show only replies by AmiGR
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2003, 08:50:19 AM »
About the Articia stuff... You don't really know what
you're talking about, do you? You know about one single
bug and think that every bug is incarnations of this...
- AMiGR

Evil, biased mod from hell.

Offline ikir

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2003, 09:54:10 AM »
My network card on my 1200 works great, considering that i have only a 060.

So i think you must support users Platoon not insult them.

Offline tjaoz

• Show only replies by tjaoz
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2003, 10:02:29 PM »
@Crumb

Excuse me but Zorro3 scsi cards use DMA without problems the bandwitch is more than enough to develope scsi drivers or ethernet100 drivers that write directly to the fast ram.
 The fact that DMA access speed to the A4000 motherboard is sufficient for Zorro cards working in the DMA mode does not mean it is sufficient for PCI cards in the DMA mode.
BTW can you prove that using the cpu to move data from a ZorroIII memory area to fastram is faster using the cpu than using DMA?

It depends on the situation.
When many small data packets are transmitted over USB or over a network the USB controller or the FastEthernet card collect these packets and store them in a large buffer in the graphic card memory without loading the Amiga system at all. When the buffer is full, the processor copies the entire buffer in one go. With this mechanism, effective transmission speed may be higher than in the situation of a PCI card initiating transmission of DMA to the computer’s memory for each data packet.
The problem is that the speed is limited by the mediator to ~9MB/s (remember that I'm talking about A3000/4000 version, and they work in a slightly different way than A1200 versions...)
AFAIK this speed is usually rather 10-12MB/s not 9MB/s and it depends on the A3/4000 processor’s card model. I saw a bustest of A3000 with Mediator and Voodoo3. The long words write speed was over 11MB/s.
Maybe you are talking about the 1200 version, which only has 2 DMA slots. In the G-Rex 4000 all slots have DMA.
No. I am speaking about all G-rex versions. No more than two DMA cards can operate with Grex 4000 in a stable way. In Grex 1200 there is only one or two (depending on version) slots in which DMA PCI cards can be fitted. More DMA PCI cards cannot be used at all.
The only driver Mediator has and G-Rex has not is USB.
AFAIK OpenPCI Fast Ethernet driver does not work with Grex (it does on Amithlon only) and Grex do not have SB 128 drivers. You can find a comparison between PCI cards supported in Amiga PCI busboards here. It is from 1 October 2002.
Anyway you can't register Poseidon if you buy a Spider now,
I bought Spider last year :-)
So I guess I can say that the Spider is "vapourware" because you have not (legal) way to make it work (or you won't have in 10 days if Elbox doesn't come to an agreement with Chris Hodges).  
Elbox has had an agreement with Hodges since September 2002. See here and here.

Offline tjaoz

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2003, 10:25:58 PM »
@Crumb
I doubt that because the first Voodoo5 drivers were CGX, see old vgr news archive...
In the vgr news site, many products and drivers appear, which are pure vapourware, like USB cards and drivers for Grex.
It is supported by OpenPCI.library, as the Prometheus is well documented the drivers developed in other OpenPCI.library compliant systems work without modifications.

I have not heard of anybody with these OpenPCI drivers working with the Prometheus.
Prometheus does not have DMA to A3/4000 motherboard and does not have working DMA between PCI slots. When the Matay company existed  they informed about the firmware update but this update has never worked properly, AFAIK.
It was stupid from Elbox to force Titan not to release it...
Titan received Mediator SDK and Elbox pci.library documentation to write drivers for Mediator, and not to write his own pci library.
they didn't want people saw that they can make work an Ethernet100 without buying their MMCD...
What? So why Titan has NOT done these drivers for Mediator using Elbox pci.library? That was the purpose for which he received Mediator SDK from Elbox.
"Slow? Their drivers are excellent and very fast. I had about 950kB/s with an Ethernet card."
Pretty poor for an Ethernet100

I wrote about Ethernet (10Mbps) card, not FastEthernet (100Mbps). Can't you see the difference?
"In my opinion the DMA gfx buffer idea developed by them is an excellent solution to bypass limitations of present-day turbo cards."
In mine opinion it is a hack, but it is crappy because you get less speed from a PCI gfx card than from a well made Zorro3 gfx card.

Sorry? What does PCI gfx card speed have to do with the DMA gfx buffer solution?
Voodoo gfx card does not work in DMA.

Offline tjaoz

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2003, 10:54:34 PM »
@platon42
tjaoz (Rat) and you aren't siamese twins by any chance? Because you always say the same.
platon42 (Hodges) and you aren't siamese twins by any chance? Because you always say the same.
 900KB is really poor. My HydraNexus (10MBit) did about 700KB with AmiTCP.
 It is rather your HydraNexus, which is poor. As I wrote my Ethernet (10Mbps) NE2000 card in Mediator runs at 900KB.

Offline tjaoz

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2003, 11:04:44 PM »
@AmiGR
About the Articia stuff... You don't really know what
you're talking about, do you? You know about one single
bug and think that every bug is incarnations of this...

If you are so knowledgeable, why don't you tell us more about these bugs in Pegasos/April2 hardware?

Offline mboehmer_e3b

• Show only replies by mboehmer_e3b
    • http://www.e3b.de/usb/
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2003, 02:51:01 PM »
Hi rat,

always a pleasure to read your comments.

It is rather your HydraNexus, which is poor. As I wrote my Ethernet (10Mbps) NE2000 card in Mediator runs at 900KB.

So, as I understand you, a rather old network card running on a slow Zorro II bus reaches 78% speed of  your superior PCI solution with nowadays PCI network cards...  and you call this "poor" ? Wuha.

Michael

Offline Crumb

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2003, 11:54:07 AM »
"Slow? Are you drunk again?  Do you confuse Mbit and Mbyte?"
I can get 5-6MEGABYTES/Second with a crappy 8139 in my peecee. With a crappy pentium100 and a crappy 8029 I got 1MEGABYTE/Second without problems

Offline Crumb

« Reply #28 from previous page: August 05, 2003, 12:06:36 PM »
@tjaoz:
Do you work for Elbox? :-P

I can't see how can you defend them... OpenPCI only means more drivers in the future. In the software side Elbox sucks. They have only caused problems. Firstly problems with the CGX team, then problems with the P96 team, then problems with Chris Hodges, who's next? Let software developers do they work and concentrate in your hardware stuff.