Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mai Excited about Validation!  (Read 7056 times)

Description:

Offline cdfr

• Show only replies by cdfr
Re: Mai Excited about Validation!
« Reply #89 from previous page: February 26, 2003, 01:00:22 AM »
Isn't it funny to see how the most biased "journalist" in the Amiga community can jump on anything doing bad publicity to his beloved "family" ?

I have read many times the people praising MAI because they have this IBM validation.
As a lot of readers I thought, well another PR tactic.
Shocked ? No, the computer industry is using these PR stunts every day.
You make a product that make use of IBM chips so you can apply and get a validation. It makes your publicity and IBM one and everyone is happy.

Bouma said that Genesi lied, that the April was FUD and so on, now he implies that they have cheated at the Amiga awards. Just more lies.

If MAI has no problem with the articia why are they not shipping in volume right now ?
Maybe Terrasoft and Eyetech want to wait until the board are obsolete ...  or maybe Genesi was right and they are right to dump MAI for their business projects ;-)

Offline System

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #90 on: February 26, 2003, 04:51:55 AM »
@ Kay

I have to agree that the title is misleading. When I saw it, I expected it to be a new press-release from Mai.

Yes, this is exactly what I tried to get through to the webmasters. To the outside world especially (non-Amiga community), this editorial was reported in one of worst ways possible. It truly damages the reputation of Amiga.org and the community.

@ Webmasters

Let me quote myself from this very thread:

"First of all, I don't share his underlying opinions and conclusions with regard to Mai Logic, but that is besides the point."

Yes, your focus is besides the point I was trying to make. Your reactions truly dissapoint me.

With regard to my articles, as I have stated many times before, they must include opinions for having any true value and relevance. You cannot have a review without stating your opinions, it is as simple as that. My past *news items* on OSNews are without opinion statements of course, but not my feature articles, which often attracted many thousands of unique additional visitors to OSNews.

Hey Mike... remember about 2 months ago when everyone was asking you the SAME thing about your "articles"?

Be more specific please. I research my articles as well as I can. Most information I use comes directly from the source, so what are you talking about?

@ cdfr

I often stated that Genesi employees and particularly Bill Buck have been spreading too much FUD with regard to 3rd party products, yes. This is obvious to anyone who knows what FUD stands for.

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #91 on: February 26, 2003, 05:41:24 AM »
Poster: MikeB Date: 2003/2/25 2:13:03
Downix, Dammy and all the other well known trolls

Speaking of trolls, how the heck ya been doing Mike?

r you Dammy stating in dozens of postings how you know 100% for certain that Amiga Inc is bankrupt. If you guys are so right, then please back up such nonesense statements now.

With this half truth statement, like you usually spout out, you really wonder why I enjoy responding to your post?  It's over for, I've said that over and over and I still saying it.  What I have not said was that they were bankrupt, that's something you have came up with on your own.  Some psuedo journalist you are,  you can't keep your BS straight.

Now go reread those federal court papers, see if you can see where Amiga Inc maybe in a world of hurt.

Dammy
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #92 on: February 26, 2003, 05:45:57 AM »
Poster: MikeB Date: 2003/2/25 14:14:02
At OSNews we add an "Our take:" to such news items.

Perhaps "you all" should be calling it "OSPropaganda" instead?

Dammy
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline jtsiren

• Show only replies by jtsiren
« Reply #93 on: February 26, 2003, 08:35:26 AM »
I find it interesting how much time our community uses nowadays to discuss what is news and what is not. Clearly there is some need to play down those issues that are not within one's sphere of interest, and vice-versa? Otherwise I can hardly believe people would be so interested in that debate. Anyway, that is beside my point... I have actually two to make.

1) I do think this article in question was an effort to be applauded. Was it perfect editorial content? No. It should have included comments from other parties, or at least notes on  genuine efforts to contact them. Perhaps the language should have been toned down a bit too. But it was a volunteer effort and included a lot of research, so I wouldn't be too harsh on the guy. I think we need more stuff like this - and not just in some obscure forums, but getting the attention they deserve. Forums are good for additional rebuttals and further commentary to hash it all out. This is a volunteer effort. Lets not criticize the guy like he is doing it for a living, okay? It doesn't have to be perfect to be constructive. I agree with Wayne.

2) And Mike, a lot of what I said above can be said of your articles as well. Perhaps we shouldn't be too quick to criticize them. As I understand them, they are volunteer efforts? But you attacking this piece so openly gives me some pause. Perhaps you do not see this. But what really makes me wonder is you countering research with arguments like:

"Be more specific please. I research my articles as well as I can. Most information I use comes directly from the source, so what are you talking about?"

Exactly. Most of the information on your favourite products come directly from the source. You post a lot of stuff concerning Amiga for instance, that people doing research find suspect. You are implying, at least in this thread, that only official sources are to be trusted - only press releases are to be considered as news. (Of course this is not really how you feel since you are so open to criticize Genesi's official statements, but still.)

And that is exactly why people find your stance so open to criticism, in my opinion. The official sources do not always hand out the facts. They have their reasons to do so, and we can all understand and even sometimes appreciate them. Investigative journalism is another matter. Research can often deliver facts that those official sources would never want revealed. They are still just as factual. They are not opinions. They can even be very much news.

In conclusion: Could Targhan have done a better job? Definitely. Should he? Perhaps. Does it make us look ridiculous? I don't think so. It is far more realistic than some of the optimistic articles from Amiga fans that I've read and my friends have laughed at with comments like "You don't really believe in those Amiga plans, do you?" (and later my friends have been quite correct in their assesment). Is this news? Well. Amiga.org doesn't really have any other way to post article content then as news. It is an article. Not perfect, but well researched nonetheless. A bit biased, sure, but nothing I wouldn't allow from a volunteer, hobbyist effort.

After all, there is this forum associated to it to put all the opinions into perspective. The reader can make up his or her mind.

Offline System

« Reply #94 on: February 26, 2003, 09:02:48 AM »
@ Wayne

Hey Mike... remember about 2 months ago when everyone was asking you the SAME thing about your "articles"?

Ah I remember now. I used information provided by Ben Hermans, the manager of the AmigaOS4 project for the AmigaOS4 features listed within an article. And yes there were quite a few trolls, some of which are currently posting within this thread, who attacked my approach to go the source.

LOL, don't you understand how weak this argument really is? It's like saying I shouldn't use Steve Jobs as a source for an article on Apple's direction, or don't use Stefan Robl as a source for AmiDock features...

@ Dammy

"Amiga DEad" seems to have been one of your most favourite statements regarding Amiga Inc.  ;-)

@ jtsiren

And Mike, a lot of what I said above can be said of your articles as well.

Clear distinctions are being made between my feature articles and my news articles. Just think for a moment about what Kay said for instance, at first he thought it was a news item instead of an opinion piece.

(Of course this is not really how you feel since you are so open to criticize Genesi's official statements, but still.)

Of course, they may hype their products as much as they want. But I criticize them for continuously adding FUD regarding 3rd party efforts, to their "official" statements (/forum updates).

You are implying, at least in this thread, that only official sources are to be trusted - only press releases are to be considered as news.

No, but if you want to provide more information on how and why validation regarding to Mai's products take place, you should approach the parties directly involved as well. Regarding this article, it is IMO absolutely a minimum requirement.

IMO this "news item" is presented in a way that it could damage the reputation of Mai. While in fact Mai has done nothing wrong and there are tons of better examples to use.

Offline strobe

• Show only replies by strobe
    • http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:7XQQZXN3cS4C:www.amiga.com/corporate/amigadepartypack.shtml
« Reply #95 on: February 26, 2003, 10:01:19 AM »
Why can't people judge commentary based on the facts instead of looking for hidden agendas? Either what he says is relevant or not. I find it quite relevant given how people have been touting this IBM seal of approval using it like a certification.

"Waa waaa, he isn't kissing MAI's ass! He shoudln't be given this forum! Waaa"

LOSERS! :-x

Offline Frodon

• Show only replies by Frodon
    • http://www.asum.asso.fr/
« Reply #96 on: February 26, 2003, 11:25:48 AM »
Hello,

"Childish, OSNews is about computing, not about the believes of your sect."

Oh I'm surprised! I thought OSNews was a central site about the believes of all the computing sects around the world (BeOS sect, MacOS sect, MacOS X sect, Amiga sect, MorphOS sect, Atari sect, Windows sect, Linux sect...etc) where people posting articles are in fact representatives of a specific sect (you for example are a representative of the Amiga sect, aren't you? :) ) and so write articles about it to spread the believes of their sect ;)

PS: just a piece of humour in this too hard world :)

Regards
Frodo Baggins

Fleecy Moss, Aug 1999: \\"You may have bought the name Amiga, but the community is something you have to earn. AInc have never understood that, and now there is another company\\"

Offline System

« Reply #97 on: February 26, 2003, 08:50:35 PM »
@ the people emailing me

Please contact Wayne with regard to Amiga.org issues instead of contacting me! Although he may seem unreasonable sometimes, I am pretty sure he just wants to defend one of his webmasters in this specific case, Targhan (and maybe a personal friend).

Sometimes people try to defend the people close to themselves, instead of listening to valid arguments. However if you don't make your voices heard, he will never know your true feelings and ideas. Regardless of the fact that he is the main webmaster, I am pretty sure he will NOT knock you off the website just for stating your criticism (Look at me I am still here). He isn't an intolerant "dictator", only very few people have ever been banned from this website over a very long period of time.  :-)

Offline System

« Reply #98 on: February 26, 2003, 09:10:47 PM »
Personally I hope to see more feature articles on Amiga.org for the future. BeNews would be an excellent example, interesting reviews, in depth stories, etc. Actually BeNews has been one of the most important websites which inspired OSNews.

However, IMO without taking notice of all the criticism stated above, it will only do more harm than good. IMO background information on the author(s) can be very important, for example if Mr Buck or any of his employees is behind this article in any possible way, this would give the meaning of this article an entirely different dimension. (As Genesi has had issues with Mai in the past)

But also very important is to be clear to the readers, what kind of article they are going to read. In this case IMO the webmasters sadly blew it, many people were deceived and thought this was a new news item regarding Mai Logic.

Offline AmiGR

• Show only replies by AmiGR
« Reply #99 on: February 26, 2003, 10:51:52 PM »
"Yes, yes, I'm Mike Bouma, the TOTALLY unbiased
journalist. ALL news items or editorials I don't like
are biased, which *of course* mine are NEVER.
Every competition Genesi wins is corrupted, while
everything Amiga Inc does is fine! Yes, yes, for autographs wait in the queue"

:)
- AMiGR

Evil, biased mod from hell.

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #100 on: February 27, 2003, 02:11:10 AM »

Why can't people judge commentary based on the facts instead of looking for hidden agendas?

Who was webmaster of MorphZone web site?

Either what he says is relevant or not. I find it quite relevant given how people have been touting this IBM seal of approval using it like a certification.

I think Ms Su's statements has something to do with it.
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline Andre.Siegel

• Show only replies by Andre.Siegel
    • http://www.power2people.org
« Reply #101 on: February 27, 2003, 10:49:07 AM »
@ Mr. B

So now you are implying that Genesi was NOT a main sponsor? Simply be clear, was Genesi a main contributer to the Amiga Award 2002 or not?

Genesi sponsored the "Amiga Award Extra" which was given to the best Amiga Shareware author. The "Amiga Award 2002" which was the main category, was not sponsored by anyone but Falke Media, publishers of AmigaPlus.

Yes, I am very happy such a competent and well respected company is backing the Amiga community. I see no reason why Mai could not win an Amiga Award 2003 within the Amiga hardware category.

I suppose you also see no reason why Microsoft could not win an Amiga Award in 2003 for indirectly financing the development of the 64BIT hardware-independant AmigaOS5 which was announced to be released at the end of this year.

Offline System

« Reply #102 on: February 27, 2003, 11:19:41 AM »
@ Andre Siegel

Genesi sponsored the "Amiga Award Extra" which was given to the best Amiga Shareware author.

So you claim that 250 Euro or less is all of Genesi's contribution to the Amiga Award 2002?

I suppose you also see no reason why Microsoft could not win an Amiga Award in 2003 for indirectly financing the development

Microsoft is merely a Pocket Paks distributer.

Offline System

« Reply #103 on: February 27, 2003, 11:27:24 AM »
@ DaveP

When I think about the s**t I hurled at Mike Bouma

This is mainly done continuously by the same small group of vocal people also trolling against Amiga/Hyperion articles/news, this should be apparent to most people. Notably however, these people almost all work for Genesi in some way or the other, or they are otherwise somehow involved.  :-o

Offline BlackMonk

• Show only replies by BlackMonk
« Reply #104 on: February 27, 2003, 05:18:33 PM »
From downix:

To note, IBM only makes the 740 and 750 series (G3) processors. Only Motorola makes the 74xx series (G4) processors.

IBM makes their own G3 variants but has made G4-CPUs for Motorola before.  I'm not sure that they would tout them as their own product line, though.  Does IBM currently make G4 CPUs for when Motorola is lacking in capacity?  No, I don't think so.  However, I'm not sure there's an easy way to confirm this.  Anyway, to back up my assertion that IBM has made G4s in the past...

http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com/ubb/Forum26/HTML/000772.html