Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mai Excited about Validation!  (Read 7142 times)

Description:

Offline MarkTime

• Show all replies
    • http://www.tanooshka.com
Re: Mai Excited about Validation!
« on: February 25, 2003, 03:31:19 PM »
This is not only news, it is rarity in news.
It is researched and informative, and the facts were checked.

Whereas most 'news' is press releases....I've seen 'news' that was nothing more than a web page change on a hoaxsters website (a-la merlancia adds a price on a non-existant box).

This is a great job about news!

Offline MarkTime

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2003, 04:57:25 PM »
@DaveP,

I believe your motivations, but I can hardly see your point.

I have seen so many articles, that are not even close to being news...in fact I would dare say over 90% of all 'news' posted tot his site, is just press releases, and sometimes just pointers to forum threads on other sites, and sometimes just speculation.

This is news shows actual in-depth research about the process of the IBM Certification program.  It may be part op-ed, but it is way and above the usual effort and quality we see here.

I can see saying 'make this a forum' post, if the alternatives were clearly better...but the alternatives, are to continue running press releases and rumors....this is just such a clear step up in quality...I just don't where you are coming from.

I think all sides should run into this type of news story, where Amigans can read the rest of the story.

For example, the Peg2 press release was run as news...I would have liked to have seen an expose on its lack of AGP support being announced...what does it all really mean...dig down, get some facts, interview people, get reactions.

oh ya, it'll be controversial, but readership is good for Amiga.org...and having some truth exposed is good for Amiga.org readers.

Offline MarkTime

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2003, 06:37:42 PM »
@MikeB

Oh it is so easy to play this word game, but 'that is your opinion'.

We can say about any factual story, that it is the reporters 'opinion.'  His opinion about the facts...its a tiresome game.

Again, reread my posts, what is the alternative...to pass along press releases only?, links to rumors on ann.lu?, and rants? as the only news we have?

This is REAL news, it is a description about the process of IBM Validation program.

It does have elements of op-ed.  And so what?  You act as if thats a bad thing, its a very much needed and GOOD thing.

Your Genesi's example was a very good example.  Why should that nonsense 'press release' be passed off as news, and a well researched news story not accompany it a day later, with additional information about all the facts in the press release?

You act as if a press release is news and cannot be questioned.

someone cannot expand on a press release with additional facts...I mean good grief!  You are giving rights to the manufacturers of press releases to speak, that you don't give to real  journalists....

Thats the world turned upside down.

Every press release, should be checked and the rest of the story released.

And your genesi examples are perfect examples of why we need this kind of journalism.  The only thing that passed for news about those items was the Genesi press release.  We needed some good reporting about that press release.  Information that the genesi awards were self funded, is most DEFINATELY news and not simply editorial.

Quite frankly I'm not against editorial....we need some good editorial too.

Offline MarkTime

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2003, 08:47:11 PM »
Just like with this article questioning the value of the IBM validation, I was giving an example how one could easily do the same with regard to the company the writer so vividly supports

Yes, well there isn't an article you could ever write, that I couldn't question.  Point me to one, I'll question it, I promise.

The fact that some people can question it, doesn't mean a thing.  If the Genesi awards were rigged, that should be news just as this is news.  If on the other hand, the Genesi awards were not rigged, that cannot be news because it isn't true.

What the journalist has to do, is research, and decide whats true.

Again, it goes back to saying 'thats just their opinon!' (about what the facts are)....

but that is what all journalists, everywhere, have to do, decide what the facts are....

your criticism here would be so much more valid, if you were actually taking a poke at targhams facts, instead of just playing word games and stating...thats his opinion of the facts!  Its not fair cause its opinion! whatever..

GRRRRRRRRRR this is sooooo tiring.

btw, 'our take' sounds good, but also I must say, that passing on a press release immediately, and having a researched story some weeks later is fine...both can be done ethically......

not every story is ready the same day as a press release.  And I think we are delving into the area of semantics, big time.

your main objection appear to be whether the story was labeled clearly.  I don't think its op-ed at all.  But in any event, press releases, op-ed, stories, rants....that isn't how anything is labeled on this site...it is labeled by subject areas and not by those types of classifications.

And finally, don't insult the reader...they know that a statement like 'Genesi is BAD' is an opinionated type of statement.  That 'Genesi rigged an award', is a statement purportedly about fact that must be proven.

People are plenty intelligent and will survive if there isn't a banner above the item explaining all its details before they read it.

Offline MarkTime

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2003, 10:03:59 PM »
@MikeB

PRESS RELEASE
For immediate Delivery

WORLD ENDS TOMORROW

MikeB, this is very important news that all your readers need to know about.  Since you are incapable of discerning what the facts are, please
report it immediately to your readership.

I stand by my statement that reporters must discern the facts are, before they can report them as fact.  I hope you will stand by your statement that a reporter simply reports the facts without forming an opinion about whether or not they are indeed true or not.

Because, we have finally gotten down to why all the fancy smanshy talk, is in fact, a red herring.  Its just  word games designed to bismirch someone because they reported a news story that was not favorable to you.  I am sure you know all these nonsense arguments by heart  because you've heard them all before.

p.s.

As I stated before the types of categories are 'Hardware', 'Software','Genesi', 'Amiga' etc...and not classifications like 'Editorial', 'News', 'PR' etc....

will everyone please scroll to the top and see if MikeB's statement about the article being titled 'Hardware News' is correct, of it is in fact just says 'Hardware'

Yes, MikeB, readers are smart, and they can easily discern what is opinion and what is statement of fact....for example, when someone says a contest is rigged they are making a statement about fact, and if it can't be proven, then it may be that the person is 'lieing'
 :-D