Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mai Excited about Validation!  (Read 7149 times)

Description:

Offline System

• Show all replies
    • http://amiga.org
Re: Mai Excited about Validation!
« Reply #14 from previous page: February 25, 2003, 09:06:57 PM »
@ Andre Siegel

fail to see how anybody in his right mind could misinterpret my words in the same way as you just did. Enough said.

So now you are implying that Genesi was NOT a main sponsor? Simply be clear, was Genesi a main contributer to the Amiga Award 2002 or not?

Again, while many people might prefer an AmigaOne because it will be capable of running AmigaOS4.0 out of the box whenever this gets released, this does not mean that these people think that the AmigaOne product would be the better hardware solution

The German post-ARC polls did include an AmigaOS4/Pegasos option. The AmigaOne/AmigaOS4 was still far more popular, although you are right that an AmigaOS4/Pegasos was alot more popular as compared to a MorphOS/Pegasos combination.

The Amiga Award was given to the company who produced the most innovative Amiga-related product in 2002.

Exactly my point, people could not vote for their preferred product.

Many Amiga users know that MAI is the driving force behind the Teron/AmigaOne boards and the actual producer of the hardwar

Yes, I am very happy such a competent and well respected company is backing the Amiga community. I see no reason why Mai could not win an Amiga Award 2003 within the Amiga hardware category.

Your reasoning is flawed.

You simply don't get my point. This was an example in reply to this article. I wasn't trying to say that Genesi was doing anything illegal or bad, just like Targhan did not want to do this with regard to Mai.

It's good that Genesi employees can try to counter my statements. This is exactly why I stated that IMO for this article to be well researched he should have approached the involved parties.

@ MarkTime

but that is what all journalists, everywhere, have to do, decide what the facts are....

No a good journalist simply reports the news and tries to keep his personal opinions to himself as much as possible (There is always bias though, as the journalist must select the data he is going to report). Or alternatively he writes a feature article, while it is always very obvious people are dealing with an opinion piece.

This article was presented as "Hardware news: Mai Excited about Validation!". With regard to this article it is very misleading and not at all correct behaviour towards Mai. Instead this article could have read: Editorial: "Why is Mai Excited about IBM Validation?"

Offline System

• Show all replies
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2003, 10:31:10 PM »
@ MarkTime

Childish, OSNews is about computing, not about the believes of your sect.

And I hate to burst your bubble, reporting does not per se have to be truth preaching. For instance President Bush may say: "Irak has nuclear capabilities!", Sadam Hussein may "Untrue, they just want to seize our oil!", the weapon inspectors may claim: "Iraq has no nuclear program".

As a journalist, you report this news without adding opinions, like "Bush is the new Hitler!" or "The weapon inspectors are incompetent", etc. But that does not mean the content of what is being stated is true or false, it doesn't imply the journalist is unbiased neither. Maybe he only reports on the statements made by Bush, or emphasizes the statements made by Sadam.

As I stated before the types of categories are 'Hardware', 'Software','Genesi', 'Amiga' etc...and not classifications like 'Editorial', 'News', 'PR' etc....

That does not change the fact that you can easily tag it as an editorial. Category: Hardware or whatever Title:"Editorial: Targhan on Mai/IBM validation".

of it is in fact just says 'Hardware'

Read above, it was posted as news. Just hit the news logo, located at the upper right corner of this webpage and see if you can find Arghan's opinion piece.

I just hope the webmasters have learned from the things I have written, and finally see the mistake they have made with regard to the way this opinion piece was presented to the public.  :-(

Offline System

• Show all replies
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2003, 11:31:08 PM »
You must have misread something. Clearly Targhan has his own agenda to write this rant, however Amiga.org decided to post it as a news item.
There's no agenda here.  It's a good read.  Note that Targhan is a Webmaster here.

Offline System

• Show all replies
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2003, 11:44:19 PM »
Its a puff piece, no more and no less. I wonder if it would be news?
Yes.  It would.  

Whether or not you like it, or are simply upset because it doesn't support your agenda (MikeB), it is valid.  It is factual. It is well researched and it is about 10,000 times more effort than the average Amiga.org member goes through to support this site.

@Everyone bitching about this article's placement as news.

Don't like it?  Shut up or put up.  Simple concept.

Offline System

• Show all replies
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2003, 11:49:42 PM »
IMO this isn't a well researched and balanced opinion article. Simply because the parties involved were not asked for any input, reaction or clarification.
Oh My Ever-loving God!  

I am absolutely certain I did *not* just see Mike "master of the editorial news item " Bouma, spout the quoted text above.  Hey Mike... remember about 2 months ago when everyone was asking you the SAME thing about your "articles"?

Offline System

• Show all replies
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2003, 04:51:55 AM »
@ Kay

I have to agree that the title is misleading. When I saw it, I expected it to be a new press-release from Mai.

Yes, this is exactly what I tried to get through to the webmasters. To the outside world especially (non-Amiga community), this editorial was reported in one of worst ways possible. It truly damages the reputation of Amiga.org and the community.

@ Webmasters

Let me quote myself from this very thread:

"First of all, I don't share his underlying opinions and conclusions with regard to Mai Logic, but that is besides the point."

Yes, your focus is besides the point I was trying to make. Your reactions truly dissapoint me.

With regard to my articles, as I have stated many times before, they must include opinions for having any true value and relevance. You cannot have a review without stating your opinions, it is as simple as that. My past *news items* on OSNews are without opinion statements of course, but not my feature articles, which often attracted many thousands of unique additional visitors to OSNews.

Hey Mike... remember about 2 months ago when everyone was asking you the SAME thing about your "articles"?

Be more specific please. I research my articles as well as I can. Most information I use comes directly from the source, so what are you talking about?

@ cdfr

I often stated that Genesi employees and particularly Bill Buck have been spreading too much FUD with regard to 3rd party products, yes. This is obvious to anyone who knows what FUD stands for.

Offline System

• Show all replies
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2003, 09:02:48 AM »
@ Wayne

Hey Mike... remember about 2 months ago when everyone was asking you the SAME thing about your "articles"?

Ah I remember now. I used information provided by Ben Hermans, the manager of the AmigaOS4 project for the AmigaOS4 features listed within an article. And yes there were quite a few trolls, some of which are currently posting within this thread, who attacked my approach to go the source.

LOL, don't you understand how weak this argument really is? It's like saying I shouldn't use Steve Jobs as a source for an article on Apple's direction, or don't use Stefan Robl as a source for AmiDock features...

@ Dammy

"Amiga DEad" seems to have been one of your most favourite statements regarding Amiga Inc.  ;-)

@ jtsiren

And Mike, a lot of what I said above can be said of your articles as well.

Clear distinctions are being made between my feature articles and my news articles. Just think for a moment about what Kay said for instance, at first he thought it was a news item instead of an opinion piece.

(Of course this is not really how you feel since you are so open to criticize Genesi's official statements, but still.)

Of course, they may hype their products as much as they want. But I criticize them for continuously adding FUD regarding 3rd party efforts, to their "official" statements (/forum updates).

You are implying, at least in this thread, that only official sources are to be trusted - only press releases are to be considered as news.

No, but if you want to provide more information on how and why validation regarding to Mai's products take place, you should approach the parties directly involved as well. Regarding this article, it is IMO absolutely a minimum requirement.

IMO this "news item" is presented in a way that it could damage the reputation of Mai. While in fact Mai has done nothing wrong and there are tons of better examples to use.

Offline System

• Show all replies
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2003, 08:50:35 PM »
@ the people emailing me

Please contact Wayne with regard to Amiga.org issues instead of contacting me! Although he may seem unreasonable sometimes, I am pretty sure he just wants to defend one of his webmasters in this specific case, Targhan (and maybe a personal friend).

Sometimes people try to defend the people close to themselves, instead of listening to valid arguments. However if you don't make your voices heard, he will never know your true feelings and ideas. Regardless of the fact that he is the main webmaster, I am pretty sure he will NOT knock you off the website just for stating your criticism (Look at me I am still here). He isn't an intolerant "dictator", only very few people have ever been banned from this website over a very long period of time.  :-)

Offline System

• Show all replies
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2003, 09:10:47 PM »
Personally I hope to see more feature articles on Amiga.org for the future. BeNews would be an excellent example, interesting reviews, in depth stories, etc. Actually BeNews has been one of the most important websites which inspired OSNews.

However, IMO without taking notice of all the criticism stated above, it will only do more harm than good. IMO background information on the author(s) can be very important, for example if Mr Buck or any of his employees is behind this article in any possible way, this would give the meaning of this article an entirely different dimension. (As Genesi has had issues with Mai in the past)

But also very important is to be clear to the readers, what kind of article they are going to read. In this case IMO the webmasters sadly blew it, many people were deceived and thought this was a new news item regarding Mai Logic.

Offline System

• Show all replies
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2003, 11:19:41 AM »
@ Andre Siegel

Genesi sponsored the "Amiga Award Extra" which was given to the best Amiga Shareware author.

So you claim that 250 Euro or less is all of Genesi's contribution to the Amiga Award 2002?

I suppose you also see no reason why Microsoft could not win an Amiga Award in 2003 for indirectly financing the development

Microsoft is merely a Pocket Paks distributer.

Offline System

• Show all replies
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2003, 11:27:24 AM »
@ DaveP

When I think about the s**t I hurled at Mike Bouma

This is mainly done continuously by the same small group of vocal people also trolling against Amiga/Hyperion articles/news, this should be apparent to most people. Notably however, these people almost all work for Genesi in some way or the other, or they are otherwise somehow involved.  :-o

Offline System

• Show all replies
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2003, 11:00:22 PM »
@ Andre.Siegel

Exactly.

Scrooges!  ;-)

Hardly worth the news announcements and banner ads then.

Offline System

• Show all replies
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2003, 08:52:03 PM »
He isn't an intolerant "dictator"

I would like to take back this comment. Currently I do have my doubts...