Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mai Excited about Validation!  (Read 7007 times)

Description:

Offline Bodie

• Show only replies by Bodie
Re: Mai Excited about Validation!
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2003, 01:03:41 AM »
Paull_Gadd wrote:

This is not news.

I'm in total agreement with Paul on this.

Offline JoannaK

• Show only replies by JoannaK
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2003, 01:05:28 AM »
@Loki1
If you would read earlier posts more carefully you would notice that it was Ben Hermans who brought this apparenly minimal  'validation' as a essential  proof of Mai Articia-S flawlessness on his attempt to avoid public and independent performance tests on their systems.

@Ben
How come you are telling loudly on ann.lu that Hyperion is OS only company and you are having nothing to do with this hardware and at the same time keep commenting hw-issues here? Being busy, I see.  :-D

Offline Madgun68

• Show only replies by Madgun68
    • http://home.comcast.net/~madgun1968
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2003, 01:06:06 AM »
To me, it seemed that all the article was trying to do was slag off MAI and partners and make them look bad. The thing is, it is only validation, it said that in the annoucement. To me that says just exactly what your conclusion was. I dont see any missleading here, unless you at first interprtured the article incorrectly.

I can pretty much guess what brought this all about too:
Comment posted by Ben H. on Ann

Offline System

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2003, 01:08:35 AM »
@ redrumloa

For shame

Why would you like to lay so much shame on Amiga.org and indirectly onto the Amiga/MorphOS "community"?

This would look so incredible pathetic to almost everyone outside our "community". Of course, there are billions of rants people could create about billions of stupid topics.

Offline Paul_Gadd

• Show only replies by Paul_Gadd
    • http://elunatic.host.sk/start.html
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2003, 01:12:06 AM »
Looking at comments on ann by Hermans and Buck it is clearly making both look so unprofessional it is disgraceful.

You are supposed to be the heads of companies and not children fighting over a bag of sweets.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2003, 01:13:43 AM »
Why would you like to lay so much shame on Amiga.org and indirectly onto the "Amiga/MoprhOS community"?

I didn't, I said you and Paul(although Paul editted his own post, thanks) I could extend that to a few more people. Your attack on Targhan is uncalled for.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline System

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2003, 01:16:51 AM »
@ Redrumloa

Your attack on Targhan is uncalled for.

You must have misread something. Clearly Targhan has his own agenda to write this rant, however Amiga.org decided to post it as a news item.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2003, 01:22:48 AM »
You must have misread something.

First you said

IMO running this as a "news" story is pathetic (I would have expected such a posting on ANN though). Well if the "community" can sink deeper, then why shouldn't we, seems to be the reasoning....

That's an attack.

Clearly Targhan has his own agenda to write this rant,

Why must it be an agenda? Go to any news site or turn on any tv and you will see investigative repoting. You may or may not agree with it, but it doesnt mean there is an agenda.

however Amiga.org decided to post it as a news item.

Targhan is a webmaster here and he contributes a ton of time and effort to A-Org. I don't appreciate pop shots at him just as I dont when they are directed at wayne.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline System

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2003, 01:27:56 AM »
@ redrumloa

That's an attack.

That was crtiticism directed towards the person(s) who decided to run this as a news story.

Believe me this does make the "community" look even more pathetic....

This makes me really sad. Once there was a strong community of constructive people helping eachother. Today, everyone seems to screw everyone, especially when they are down and in a position to be screwed (companies as well as individuals).

Really sad, in my opinion.

Offline Herewegoagain

• Show only replies by Herewegoagain
    • Http://www.ncscaug.us
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2003, 01:33:53 AM »
:roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:

Not news at all.... It's a personal rant.  Boy you morphos guys are all wound up.... chill out and have a drink.
North and South Carolina Users interested in a \\\'local\\\' user group should visit NCSC Amiga Users Group page and sign up for membership. It\\\'s free!

Offline Paul_Gadd

• Show only replies by Paul_Gadd
    • http://elunatic.host.sk/start.html
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2003, 01:36:34 AM »
Cant you companies stop this madness?.

Offline TarghanTopic starter

• Show only replies by Targhan
    • http://www.geocities.com/targhan_aga
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2003, 01:51:32 AM »
I see some of you missed the point.  It's not that Mai is horrible, nor is it a statement directed to the A1.  If I had been working for Mai, under the circumstances they are working, I would have done the same thing.  What I'm bashing is the industry in general, and it just so happened that Mai picked the perfect time to make an example out of themselves.  Also, IBM is as much to blame as Mai is, because they are the ones who made this silly "verification" system.

Mai's goal was/is to attact the attention of bigger fish.  While what Mai does will affect this community, that doesn't mean that they were aiming this announcement at our community.

Finally, I will say it again, this is a statement against activities of this likeness performed throughout the computer industry.  Go to your local computer store, pick up a random hardware package, and look at all the cute logos printed on the back.  It's all the same bogus garbage.  Very few of those certificates, verifications, or validations mean squat.  

I realize I was a bit hard on Mai, but I also pointed out that there was some validity to their statement.  It's just that their P.R. spun in up.  Mai is closer to the mainstream that anything Amiga (or MorphOS), so they are caught up in that rat race of certifications.  

Last, but not least, I did check with an outside source connected with NOBODY from EITHER side of this stupid AOS/MOS war.  I was trying to find out exactly what the verification was all about, and ended up in a circle of goofy IBM propoganda pages.  I guess everything I post/say is related to A or M?
Regards,
Targhan

Offline Rodney

• Show only replies by Rodney
    • http://donthaveone.com/
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2003, 01:58:55 AM »

I can pretty much guess what brought this all about too:
Comment posted by Ben H. on Ann

Sorry, i doubt it, havnt seen that thread yet.
We are not Humans having a spirital experiance
We are Spirits having a Human experiance.

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2003, 02:00:47 AM »
@Mike_B

I'm with redluma here, you are behaving very inappropriately considering that Targhan did his research and backed it up.  He drew a conclusion, based on the evidence he uncovered, and delivered it in a concise and proper reporting method.

Now stop behaving so badly.  If you don't have something nice to say, don't hit Post Comment.
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline Herewegoagain

• Show only replies by Herewegoagain
    • Http://www.ncscaug.us
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2003, 02:16:52 AM »
I see some of you missed the point. It's not that Mai is horrible, nor is it a statement directed to the A1. If I had been working for Mai, under the circumstances they are working, I would have done the same thing. What I'm bashing is the industry in general, and it just so happened that Mai picked the perfect time to make an example out of themselves. Also, IBM is as much to blame as Mai is, because they are the ones who made this silly "verification" system.

Funny, that I haven't seen you get this wound up and determined to expose Genesi's marketing hype.  They post pages long hype all the time as news, and I don't see you setting out to "debunk" Bill Buck.  But maybe it's time someone did.

So now that you've exposed that the whole computer industry is full of bullshitters and liars,  what's next?  I'll say it again.  It is rant, not a "news" article.  You came across so extremely sarcastic and prejudice with a tone of almost shouting at points.  And you call it news?  Let's see.  I'm thinking of a news article I could do....wonder if they will post it..... I bet not....
North and South Carolina Users interested in a \\\'local\\\' user group should visit NCSC Amiga Users Group page and sign up for membership. It\\\'s free!

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #29 from previous page: February 25, 2003, 02:28:13 AM »
Reread his article. It's not purely about MAI or deception (well, in as much as marketing is deception). It's about "the process" behind all these logos, emblems, stickers (Microsoft certified, Ready for IBM, SUN approved, etc.)
He's not saying MAI's products are ####e. He's saying it is what it is. The MAI release about being Ready for IBM verified is just "Yup, it's compatable. Your stuff works with our stuff". Even though the MAI press release seems to make it look abit more than that. It's PR, It's Marketing. Making your product look better than everyone else's, It's washing and polishing that rusty old bike to get someone to buy it. Not that the bike isn't perfectly funtionaly, it just doesn't look as good as the rest til you spiff it up abit.
This article was probalby born out of some recent A1 vs. Pegasos, Gensi slamming MAI discussion where people were actually saying that MAI northbridges were IBM certified.