Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pictures of AmigaOne motherboard and statements from Alan Redhouse  (Read 7897 times)

Description:

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
Re: Pictures of AmigaOne motherboard and statements from Ala
« Reply #59 from previous page: February 09, 2003, 07:26:31 PM »

Poster: MikeB Date: 2003/2/9 13:22:31
Quote:
I happen to like the feature list of the Pegasos better, and like it's smaller form factor.

The Pegasos is excellently designed hardware. If the hardware would come with AmigaOS4/PPCBoot and offers G4 CPU options at a time of proper availability, I would surely consider buying a board in addition to getting an AmigaOS-XE.
My personal preference would however go towards an AmigaOne-XE solution, as I currently prefer to have an additional PCI slot instead of a smaller form factor board.

Our needs are likely different, as well.  Looking into my case.... *counts* I have 6 cards.  5 of them would be redundant or irrelevent in a Pegasos, while I could only get rid of 1 of them for the A1.  So, the Pegasos is a cleaner solution for my needs.  But my needs are not your needs.

Quote:
to get the flames above

I haven't seen any real flames in reply to your messages. My reactions were intended to be informative and there was just some little general criticism with regard to AmigaOne news items resulting into Pegasos propaganda threads.

That was never my intention, however.  I was asking a simple question about, if what they wanted was to run their AmigaOS software on a PowerPC, why did they not look at an alternative that's available.  That alternative might even run on the A1 at some point in the future (as it has run on an earlier model of the Teron board) so the question becomes even more relevent.
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline Alkemyst

• Show only replies by Alkemyst
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2003, 07:28:06 PM »
but the AGP is slowed down to 1x .....

@MikeB

Whats so special about PPCBoot ?

Just a cheap replacement as they couldn't get a working OF.

So what.

Ok lets for get about the 4th PCI lots.

We then have 3 fully working just like the Pegasos. SO what.

Aone will run Aos4
Pegaos will not.

So i dont care even if Pegasos was 100X better its of no use to me with out Aos4.

Now pls get back on topic.
PowerTower A1200,060/80Mhz,Heatsink&Fan,66MBRam,PowerFlyerGold,50xCDRomdrive,250Zip,2.1GB&34GB HD,internal Scandoubler & FF,19\\"Monitor,Mediator,Voodoo3-3000,PaceSolo 56k ,PortJnr2,ZEKeys-XS,SMON ,Os3.9

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2003, 07:31:48 PM »
To my knowledge, the first 66-MHz PCI-Slot is completely shared with AGPx2. So you can only use 3 PCI when using an AGP-Card otherwise you'll need the additional PCI for a PCI-GFX-card.

Not to promote the competition or anything, but that's not entirely true.

The AGP bus is properly a 66Mhz 64-bit PCI bus with a few extra bus modes, all pushed through a double-data-rate bus to reduce pincount.  Mai's PCI1 system has the AGP modes but also retains the addressing mode.  This means that, when a second device is on the bus, that the enhanced modes of AGP need to be turned off for the second PCI device to work properly.  This reduces the overall speed of AGP transfers, for cards that support them to begin with.

Note, the 3Dfx series of video cards do not use AGP modes at all, being purely PCI cards (which happen to be in an AGP slot).  So if you run a 3Dfx card, you won't notice a lick of difference.
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline Alkemyst

« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2003, 07:36:16 PM »
Downix Will you shutup

With turnning this thread into yet another boring
Aone V Pegasos cos you are wasteing your time.

Cos it all about the OS now for most & not the hardware.

If Aos4 was going to be on both then yes the Hardware would be the deciding factor.

Buy Aone or Pegasos.

But this not the case so this point is moot.
PowerTower A1200,060/80Mhz,Heatsink&Fan,66MBRam,PowerFlyerGold,50xCDRomdrive,250Zip,2.1GB&34GB HD,internal Scandoubler & FF,19\\"Monitor,Mediator,Voodoo3-3000,PaceSolo 56k ,PortJnr2,ZEKeys-XS,SMON ,Os3.9

Offline logain

• Show only replies by logain
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2003, 07:47:47 PM »
>>MikeB
>>Yes you must have, UAE offers more compatibility with Amiga software than an ABOX.

I dont doubt that. I was thinking up to now, that you meant you can actually run more Amiga software
on the AOne with Linux+UAE as on the Pegasos with MorphOS, which i doubt because theres an own
UAE solution and of course the A-Box.

>>The AmigaDE is an OS, with intent being its foundation. Some think the AmigaDE is something which runs on top of intent, but actually the AmigaDE simply includes intent.

I'm aware of it, but i would even go so far to say that AmigaDE is an intent with minor modifications.

>>If you meant to say that the AmigaDE isn't currently a desktop targeted OS, then I would agree. But intent can either run hosted as a transparent compatibility layer on top of other OSes or the OS can also be used non-hosted, like is the case with Kyocera's Pocket Cosmo PDA for example

The reason that it runs hosted on other systems let me stat that its not an OS. But if intent can run unhosted now (and therefore provides necessary resources by itself) i would call it an OS.

>>First of, AmigaOS5 (64-bit) is still a long way off. And I do not think sandboxes would be implemented in the same way as currently is done with the ABOX, where the sandbox takes over the complete system.

It wont be that way in the final stage! As you most probably know, theres the so-called Q-Box in development which will be the complete new OS in the end, while the A-Box will be the Amiga-emulation environment running next to the Q-Box ontop of Quark to provide compatibility with Amiga-legacy software.

>>And for the record I am not whining... I am trying to be informative!

Sorry for being harsh! I though you wanna ride the typical "MorphOS-is-soo-alien-OS"-argumentation ..I apologize! :-)

P.S.: About the PCI-Busses: I just interpretated this from mai.com in that way : "PCI (66 MHz AGP 2X or 33/66 MHz PCI) slot on board".
Thank you Downix for the clarification!

Offline System

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2003, 08:20:13 PM »
@ Kronos

With regard to PPCBoot, the Frieden brothers have done an excellent job. For some more info, turn here.

@ logain

But if intent can run unhosted now

This isn't something new, this has been the case all along. Only, it often makes more sense to run hosted because device manufacturers mostly already use well established OS solutions in combination with a large library of legacy software.

It wont be that way in the final stage! As you most probably know, theres the so-called Q-Box in development which will be the complete new OS in the end

I know, but I currently care just as much about the QBOX as I do about QNX or OpenBeOS. How much Amiga-like will this non-hosted environment be in the future? A question to which I haven't gotten a clear answer (yet).

Sorry for being harsh!

OK thanks.  :-)

I agree with Downix on his point that different people simply have different needs. Nomatter what you decide to buy is only your business. IMO we should only try to control the high amounts of misinformation and FUD being spread. IMO the more accurate information being spread, the more likely our communities can grow stronger.

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2003, 08:23:25 PM »
@MikeB
So what ?

Nothing OF couldn't do, and that has been tested much better
(longer) than PPCBoot which was "ready" in November but
just a few days ago it served as an excuse for the newest
OS4-delays ...
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline System

« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2003, 08:36:12 PM »
@ kronos

No OF, wasn't a good BootROM solution at all. I already stated this at a time when there was no alternative in sight for the AmigaOne. Sure they could have patched it, to make it function more properly, but there were simply too many design flaws and bugs.

MAI didn't hire the Frieden brothers for nothing. Sadly for AmigaOS4 development this caused some additional delays, as another much bigger and more resourceful 3rd party was unable to deliver a proper solution.

just a few days ago it served as an excuse for the newest

There have been many well founded reasons for delays. Note that many other companies suffer from countless delays as well, including Genesi or a multi-billion dollar company like Microsoft.

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2003, 08:47:55 PM »
@Mike

Sure the SofTex-OF was and is crap, but why should that be a
reason to replace the fully working OF on the Pegasos with a
largely untested solution ?
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline System

« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2003, 08:56:51 PM »
@ Kronos

Sometimes it makes sense to use something different. For instance Apple made the decision to develop a new webbrowser called Safari, instead of using more tested IE or Mozilla solutions. The result is already alot more satisfying.

Designers can learn from previous design flaws and bugs found in previous solutions, so to use earlier bad experiences to their own advantage by designing a better solution.

Offline zacman

• Show only replies by zacman
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2003, 09:35:08 PM »
>MAI didn't hire the Frieden brothers for nothing.

Thanks god - hired! - , you know sometimes when
there is a very big delay for some product done by
contract work then companies sometimes search
for someone else. But I'm sure that this is a
scenario which will never happen to Hyperion!

Offline Alkemyst

« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2003, 09:54:03 PM »
Thanks god - hired! - , you know sometimes when
there is a very big delay for some product done by
contract work then companies sometimes search
for someone else. But I'm sure that this is a
scenario which will never happen to Hyperion!

Your point being what ?

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2003, 09:56:44 PM »
Poster: Alkemyst Date: 2003/2/9 14:36:16

Downix Will you shutup

With turnning this thread into yet another boring
Aone V Pegasos cos you are wasteing your time.

Cos it all about the OS now for most & not the hardware.

If Aos4 was going to be on both then yes the Hardware would be the deciding factor.

Buy Aone or Pegasos.

But this not the case so this point is moot.

Alkemyst will you please shut up?  It's about hardware until OS4 is released.  Then you can go on with whatever on OS level capabilities.  I suppose you could go one about Linux, but I doubt you give a rat's ass about that subject...

Dammy
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline Alkemyst

« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2003, 11:07:50 PM »
Alkemyst will you please shut up? It's about hardware until OS4 is released. Then you can go on with whatever on OS level capabilities. I suppose you could go one about Linux, but I doubt you give a rat's ass about that subject...

No Dammy as ppl who are buying an Aone are buying it cos it will run Aos4.

& telling ppl to buy a peg instead is not the answer.

You are self have even less reason to speak seeing as your not buying any of them.

Offline sh33p

• Show only replies by sh33p
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2003, 11:22:36 PM »
Hey Downix,

You give Baggy his money or his PPC yet?  It's been over  a year now.  I think he feels like he's been burned a bit.  It's been 'in the mail' for quite a long time. ;)

sh33p

Offline Frodon

• Show only replies by Frodon
    • http://www.asum.asso.fr/
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2003, 06:50:45 AM »
Hello,

"No OF, wasn't a good BootROM solution at all. I already stated this at a time when there was no alternative in sight for the AmigaOne. Sure they could have patched it, to make it function more properly, but there were simply too many design flaws and bugs."

The OpenFirmware solutions are used by many industrials around the world including SUN, IBM and of course Apple. If you have a Mac, just try one day to do: Apple + O + F   at the start of your Mac.
And if you know the Pegasos OF, you'll see that the Apple OF works a lot similarly.
Why? Because they both respect the standard for OpenFirmwares.

If this is a so bad solution, why so many industrials use it?

Regards
Frodo Baggins

Fleecy Moss, Aug 1999: \\"You may have bought the name Amiga, but the community is something you have to earn. AInc have never understood that, and now there is another company\\"