Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pictures of AmigaOne motherboard and statements from Alan Redhouse  (Read 7896 times)

Description:

Offline Ami603

• Show only replies by Ami603
Re: Pictures of AmigaOne motherboard and statements from Ala
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2003, 05:09:05 PM »
@MarkTime:
You seem to not wanting to see the reality:
first of all,Terrasoft solutions are distributing Teron CX boards at $499 price.That is confirmed by three ways:the photo on his webpage,The distribution licence by MAI for the Teron CX,not the PX at nearly $500 as stated on MAI Website,and the new "(price are under revision)" item on the terrasoft page for the Teron PX.
Second,When you buy the AmigaOne from local dealers,price has been set to avoid competence,that is the price in Vesalia,KDH,Eyetech,must be nearly the same,so you aren`t paying more by buying it local,the gain for these systems are the bundles that each dealer wants to set,as complete systems.Then you can confirm that nearly $80 of difference that you pay more than on terrasoft systems is the real difference for licensing OS4,and yes,you also get Linux distro and OS4 for free when it became available.
So please,stop starting useless without facts threads.
AmigaOne X1000

Offline zacman

• Show only replies by zacman
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2003, 05:17:01 PM »
>first of all,Terrasoft solutions are distributing
>Teron CX boards at $499 price

No, the TeronCX is no longer produced. Terrasoft
confirmed by email (according to comments on  
ann.lu) that the price is indeed for TeronPX with a
G4/800.

Offline Ami603

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2003, 06:18:42 PM »
@Zacman:
Agree with you that the teron CX is no longer in production,but my point is,that some people are spreading FUD with the incorrect showing price on the terrasoft page of the Teron PX motherboard,so,confirmed or not,now you can see that the price of $499 showed on his webpage is no longer there,and nobody has done yet a correct price comparison with FACTS between the real price (yet unseen) of Teron PX and AmigaOne XE G4 as stated before on another thread.
The first licence that comes from MAI to Terrasoft were for distributing Teron CX systems,you can check this on MAI site,with a price of about $500,that is nearly the same price of Teron PX G4 showed in Terrasoft webpage.Strange,don`t you think so?
AmigaOne X1000

Offline Madgun68

• Show only replies by Madgun68
    • http://home.comcast.net/~madgun1968
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2003, 06:29:04 PM »
@Ami603

Beat me to it. They have revised the page (unless my browser just isn't special enough.)

"Teron PX ATX PowerPC motherboard, YDL: (Price is being revised) + Shipping"

Offline Ami603

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2003, 06:34:02 PM »
@Madgun:

You win!! :-D:-D
but some people start making statements without knowledge or real Facts.
AmigaOne X1000

Offline Madgun68

• Show only replies by Madgun68
    • http://home.comcast.net/~madgun1968
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2003, 06:51:13 PM »
but some people start making statements without knowledge or real Facts.

Yeah.. It's pretty sad. I took a look at the discussion on ANN, which is just pathetic. People are finding every excuse possible to troll.

Offline MarkTime

• Show only replies by MarkTime
    • http://www.tanooshka.com
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2003, 07:01:14 PM »
That criticism is NOT valid.

Terrasoft did state in e-mail that the $499 was the price for the board...Teron PX with G4/800.
They also stated, if they did decide to change the price it wouldn't be by much.

I did all the research POSSIBLE...and contacted them directly.

I bet you someone convinced them they could get more money, they shouldn't lower the price until the initial demand wears off.

Oh well, now we don't have a price, but $380 was the gap yesterday......

if it changed this morning, then all that can be said, is we don't know the price difference....

I'm am definately not convinced that Terrasoft arbitrarily raising the price (if indeed that is what is happening) is a good thing at all....

at $499 a G4/800mhz board is WAY overpriced...

its a strange value system where people are glad for price increases...I usually prefer the price decrease....oh well, when in Rome :-)

I will give 'the gap' when the prices are revised..........

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2003, 08:44:08 PM »
Whats the purpose of all this hardware, when os4 wont be ready before atleast end of 2003........... SIGH

Too late for me. 3-4 year old expensive outdated hardware when os4 is ready...

I finally see the truth... amiga is dead  :-(  :cry:

Offline logain

• Show only replies by logain
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2003, 09:18:00 PM »
>>MikeB said
>>Sure MorphOS is nice, but for Amiga software compatibility he could run UAE on Linux as well and probably use a much larger percentage of his legacy software!
>>In which case UAE solutions offer more software compatibility due to chipset emulations.

You seem to forget that MorphOS has an UAE too. Or do you want to claim that LinuxUAE will run more Amiga software than MorphOS' A-Box and MorphOS-UAE together?

You should also not forget that you can run MorphOS applications right from the start (which have the Amiga look&feel) instead of Linux apps for an unforeseeable time. (maybe forever?!)

And also dont forget, that A-Box' JIT performance is ways higher than the Linux/WinUAE-JIT..

Offline strobe

• Show only replies by strobe
    • http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:7XQQZXN3cS4C:www.amiga.com/corporate/amigadepartypack.shtml
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2003, 10:44:28 PM »
zzzzzzzzzzzzzz..*shork* huh? AOS4? no?
zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Offline Rogue

• Show only replies by Rogue
    • http://www.hyperion-entertainment.com
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2003, 11:02:03 PM »
Did you use dual cpu's for that? Just curious. I'm sure OS4 will do as well or better.

No, that was a single Motorola PowerPC 7451 at 800 MHz. The dual module I have only has two 7410 (yeah, "only" two :-) )
Look out, I\'ve got a gun

Offline Bodie

• Show only replies by Bodie
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2003, 11:04:01 PM »
The dual module I have only has two 7410 (yeah, "only" two : )

:-D

Offline Rogue

• Show only replies by Rogue
    • http://www.hyperion-entertainment.com
Re: On board audio, no AMR slot...
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2003, 11:05:43 PM »
I wonder where the 3COM network controller has moved to on the motherboard?

The network port is now above the USB sockets, and the 3Com has moved behind this. Since both views of the board are from behind, it is hidden behind the USB sockets, but on the first picture you can see it sticking out at the side between network and parallel port.
Look out, I\'ve got a gun

Offline System

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2003, 11:38:31 PM »
@ logain

You seem to forget that MorphOS has an UAE too.

No I wasn't and for the record UAE ports are available for almost all better known OSes, including MacOS, AmigaDE and even AmigaOS itself.

The point of the original discussion was that an user was likely waiting specificly for AmigaOS4 and not solely for compatibility with Amiga software, for which there are many alternatives. According to community polls a new Amithon emulation solution by Bernie is the most popular, followed by an AmigaOS4/AmigaOne solution.

You should also not forget that you can run MorphOS applications right from the start (which have the Amiga look&feel) instead of Linux apps for an unforeseeable time.

Yes, the entire ABOX is built on top of an Alien kernel, above this kernel is a second "reimplemented" Amiga-like Exec kernel. Everything within the ABOX is very Amiga-like, a similar structure, similar filenames, similar components, etc. Just like with Amithlon (Linux), the underlying kernel/OS is hidden from the user. Quark is just as alien to AmigaOS, as for instance QNX Neutrino or Mach.

And also dont forget, that A-Box' JIT performance is ways higher than the Linux/WinUAE-JIT..

This depends on the hardware as well.

Funny enough lately with every positive AmigaOS4/AmigaOne thread, there seems to be attempts to artificially transform it into a MorphOS propaganda thread.  ;-)

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2003, 04:43:30 AM »

@ logain
Quote:
You seem to forget that MorphOS has an UAE too.

No I wasn't and for the record UAE ports are available for almost all better known OSes, including MacOS, AmigaDE and even AmigaOS itself.
The point of the original discussion was that an user was likely waiting specificly for AmigaOS4 and not solely for compatibility with Amiga software, for which there are many alternatives. According to community polls a new Amithon emulation solution by Bernie is the most popular, followed by an AmigaOS4/AmigaOne solution.

Last time I checked, however, I didn't ask "what was more popular."

And as for your chipset support arguement, I don't see any AGA chips on the A1, and in the AOS4 documentation, it doesn't mention any chipset support, so it looks like AOS4 and MOS are equal in that respect.  Note, I said "looks" as there is no AOS4 to compare with.

Quote:
You should also not forget that you can run MorphOS applications right from the start (which have the Amiga look&feel) instead of Linux apps for an unforeseeable time.

Yes, the entire ABOX is built on top of an Alien kernel, above this kernel is a second "reimplemented" Amiga-like Exec kernel. Everything within the ABOX is very Amiga-like, a similar structure, similar filenames, similar components, etc. Just like with Amithlon (Linux), the underlying kernel/OS is hidden from the user. Quark is just as alien to AmigaOS, as for instance QNX Neutrino or Mach.

Or ExecSG, which is also an alien kernel that can emulate the Executive Library.

Quote:

This depends on the hardware as well.
Funny enough lately with every positive AmigaOS4/AmigaOne thread, there seems to be attempts to artificially transform it into a MorphOS propaganda thread.  

Here's the worlds smallest fiddle there Mike, and it's playing just for you.
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
« Reply #44 from previous page: February 09, 2003, 04:48:05 AM »
As you probably have access to the latest MorphOS updates, can I make out of this that you say that currently MorphOS offers a similar level of 68k Amiga software compatibility as compared to UAE solutions?

You can make of it whatever you will, which is what you will do anyways.

But for the record, MorphOS is running 68k Amiga software now.  This does put it ahead of AOS4, which isn't shipping atm in order to allow a proper comparison of the two platforms.

However, unless Hyperion's somehow managed to hire ubercoders of the netherworld, it's doubtful that they've done better emulation in 2 years than the MorphOS team has done in 4.
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.