Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pictures of AmigaOne motherboard and statements from Alan Redhouse  (Read 7916 times)

Description:

Offline Rogue

• Show only replies by Rogue
    • http://www.hyperion-entertainment.com
Re: Pictures of AmigaOne motherboard and statements from Ala
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2003, 11:23:23 AM »
The ROM is actually the BIOS. These boards don't need any "April", "March" or whatever fix. They have the new sillicon revision of the Articia S chipset.
Look out, I\'ve got a gun

Offline Ami603

• Show only replies by Ami603
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2003, 11:26:50 AM »
And another nice feature that i know :-D:-D:-D:-D:-D
AmigaOne X1000

Offline Rogue

• Show only replies by Rogue
    • http://www.hyperion-entertainment.com
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2003, 11:42:40 AM »
volmer write:
Now, where's AOS4?

Like I said before, no more info on forums or mailing lists from me. Not because there isn't anything to report (quite the contrary) but because information I have given in the past is willfully distorted or quoted out of context, or simply misinterpreted.

spending $$$ on a Linux platform inferior to any x86 setup

Any x86 setup? I've benchmarked my G4/800 against a Duron 1200 with one of our linux games (SiN), and the G4 was almost twice as fast (typically about 50% faster).

That was a 7451 without L3 cache... Now you might argue about the Duron 1200, but it just shows that "any x86 setup" is a bit far-fetched.
Look out, I\'ve got a gun

Offline amigamad

• Show only replies by amigamad
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2003, 12:23:26 PM »
Good to see some pictures of g4 not much longer and we might get them. :-D
I once had an amigaone xe but sold it .

http://www.tamiyaclub.com

Offline Herewegoagain

• Show only replies by Herewegoagain
    • Http://www.ncscaug.us
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2003, 12:35:14 PM »
The ROM is actually the BIOS. These boards don't need any "April", "March" or whatever fix. They have the new sillicon revision of the Articia S chipset.

Ahh... PPC Boot?    I thought that was already there somewhere else, but that would make sense.  Yeah, I remember reading now that the new board would have the revised Artica chip.

Now about those benchmarks... Very interesting.  Did you use dual cpu's for that?    Just curious.  I'm sure OS4 will do as well or better.
North and South Carolina Users interested in a \\\'local\\\' user group should visit NCSC Amiga Users Group page and sign up for membership. It\\\'s free!

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2003, 01:37:54 PM »
But for me this HW is useles without AOS. I don't care for linux, and if I want to run linux. I will use x86 hw.

Then buy a Pegasos.  You won't be forced to run Linux and you can run your old apps.  What more do you want?
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline System

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2003, 01:55:15 PM »
Then buy a Pegasos. You won't be forced to run Linux and you can run your old apps. What more do you want?

What more does he want? Likely he wants AmigaOS4!  :-) Sure MorphOS is nice, but for Amiga software compatibility he could run UAE on Linux as well and probably use a much larger percentage of his legacy software!

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2003, 02:02:49 PM »
Mike, you've never run the latest MorphOS to the best of my knowledge, how would you know how much software it can and cannot run?

If you use an experience with the old betas, then your experience is schewed.  I'd point out that an early NT Beta could not run a lot of win32 programs.  But 2k (the released version of that beta) is quite kind to me and runs all of them.

So please, before you start making such wild claims as compatability issues, run the product first.
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline System

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2003, 02:16:02 PM »
So please, before you start making such wild claims as compatability issues, run the product first.

And maybe I and some friends did test a recent version of MorphOS...

As you probably have access to the latest MorphOS updates, can I make out of this that you say that currently MorphOS offers a similar level of 68k Amiga software compatibility as compared to UAE solutions?  :-o  ;-)

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2003, 02:21:55 PM »
Want to use the maximum of legacy SW ?

Forget A1, forget Pegasos forget Linux-UAE !!
Just buy a WinTel and run the latest WinUAE.

Do you really think OS4 will be more compatible just because of the name ?

And thats something that can't be answered till it's a out.
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
On board audio, no AMR slot...
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2003, 02:32:38 PM »
I see that the XE is utilising the on-board audio facility of the southbridge (which I assume is still a 686B) and thus removing the need for the AMR slot.

There is a lot of free space on the motherboard.

Shame that the IDE/floppy/etc headers don't have the plastic surrounds, they are just bare pins sticking up.

Hmmm, I wonder where the 3COM network controller has moved to on the motherboard?

Offline System

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2003, 02:35:01 PM »
Just buy a WinTel and run the latest WinUAE.

If you own a Windows box then WinUAE is a nice additional solution for Amigans. I have recently written an extensive article for WinUAE beginners at OSNews.

Anyway Kronos, I believe you have misread this discussion between Downix and me. My relpy was regarding, wanting something else than just Amiga software compatibility. In which case UAE solutions offer more software compatibility due to chipset emulations.

Offline System

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2003, 03:13:19 PM »
oh, for goodness sake....

Amiga OS4 is gonna crush morphos.

Go ahead.
"how do you know this"?

:-D

Offline System

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2003, 03:54:54 PM »
Mike, you've never run the latest MorphOS to the best of my knowledge, how would you know how much software it can and cannot run?

Because morphos does no chipset emulation? So yes, UAE does definately run more software than morphos.

Offline MarkTime

• Show only replies by MarkTime
    • http://www.tanooshka.com
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2003, 04:48:45 PM »
Well I read the message from Alan, and it doesn't really say anything new.

Bascially, the Teron from eyetech and the Teron from Terrasoft are the same board, and when purchased with Linux they are the same price. (except Alan doesn't set the prices for the local dealer, so the AmigaOne is far more expensive than the Boxer)

So you pay more for the AmigaOne than the terrasoft, but if you need to buy local, than you just may buy the AmigaOne.

I certainly understand someone might make that choice.

What is harder to understand is why OS4 is only available to people who purchased the eyetech Teron board, and not available to people who purchase the terrrasoft Teron board.

And the price of OS4, why so expenisive?  Because of copy protection schemes?  But copy protection schemes don't add that much to the cost.

The other theory seems to be support (but they are obligated to provide no support, and history tells us they don't)...and for advertising...WOW, at $100 PER board for advertising, the amiga websites should be getting the big $$$$ very soon...this is really good news...

:-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D

seriously, it doesn't matter the reasons...I know support and advertising are a joke, the companies need the money to pay their overhead...heck maybe they need it for an operation for grandma, there are really good reasons always....

but basically, it comes down to supply and demand, and will there be demand for  a board, grossly overpriced, but with the official name, when there are alternative choices at more reasonable prices....

time will tell, and as much as I like prognosticating...I really have no idea who will prevail...should be an interesting year.

Personally, if OS 4 is released in March, then I just might prefer OS 4.....but if on top of everything else, they don't even release the product, then heck with it.....

Offline Ami603

• Show only replies by Ami603
« Reply #29 from previous page: February 08, 2003, 05:09:05 PM »
@MarkTime:
You seem to not wanting to see the reality:
first of all,Terrasoft solutions are distributing Teron CX boards at $499 price.That is confirmed by three ways:the photo on his webpage,The distribution licence by MAI for the Teron CX,not the PX at nearly $500 as stated on MAI Website,and the new "(price are under revision)" item on the terrasoft page for the Teron PX.
Second,When you buy the AmigaOne from local dealers,price has been set to avoid competence,that is the price in Vesalia,KDH,Eyetech,must be nearly the same,so you aren`t paying more by buying it local,the gain for these systems are the bundles that each dealer wants to set,as complete systems.Then you can confirm that nearly $80 of difference that you pay more than on terrasoft systems is the real difference for licensing OS4,and yes,you also get Linux distro and OS4 for free when it became available.
So please,stop starting useless without facts threads.
AmigaOne X1000