Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: IBM to unleash new PowerPC chip  (Read 3127 times)

Description:

Offline Mickey

• Show only replies by Mickey
Re: IBM to unleash new PowerPC chip
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2002, 07:53:28 PM »
Real World? P4 and Athlon are much faster than any current Mac by more than 2-3 times. I read several articles comparing a P4 2.5 Ghz against a double 1Ghz processor mac, and Mac didn't even come close...as in, it was half the speed. But I do hope this new line kicks Intel and Athlon butt. :-o

Offline Acill

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2002, 08:14:04 PM »
Real World? P4 and Athlon are much faster than any current Mac by more than 2-3 times. I read several articles comparing a P4 2.5 Ghz against a double 1Ghz processor mac, and Mac didn't even come close...as in, it was half the speed. But I do hope this new line kicks Intel and Athlon butt.

You cant put the two up against each other on clock speed, they are not the same at all. PPC is much faster with the same clock speed as a X86 chip.
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline AmigaMac

• Show only replies by AmigaMac
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2002, 08:20:26 PM »
Real World? P4 and Athlon are much faster than any current Mac by more than 2-3 times. I read several articles comparing a P4 2.5 Ghz against a double 1Ghz processor mac, and Mac didn't even come close...as in, it was half the speed.

Yeah maybe in SPEC, but not Real World... P4s and G4s are neck in neck and various benchmarks show that fact... one wins this and the other wins that!  What you're reading is the propaganda FUD spread mostly by PC zealot/tech writers!

Offline Mickey

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2002, 08:46:12 PM »
AmigaMac,

Here is the quote from the article:

"At the level of "2x gigahertz, we will compete very reasonably against the (Intel) Pentium," said Chekib Akrout, vice president of microprocessor development at IBM Microelectronics. "

I'm sure you read that:-o and if you have:"what are you talking about then?' just let someone be right for goodness sake.
And that's with the new chips not the old ones. So it's not exactly propaganda even though just plain clockspeeds are not all that matters. Take into account that before year's end we'll see 3Ghz Pentiums and I'm aure AMD has something up their sleeve. In any case I'm all for competition and I'm happy to see new PPC chip and I hope they do surpass Intel some day.  :-)

Offline Mickey

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2002, 08:49:04 PM »
And Acill,

You are probably right at the same clockspeed, but we can't say oh but fastest ppc is faster than a 3-4 year old Intel chip or something like that. I understand your point, but we must compare like this or we will never see a PPC catching up to the Intels and Athlons.

Offline eddit

• Show only replies by eddit
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2002, 08:50:32 PM »
Here's it from the horse's mouth (ie IBM)

IBM Press Release

The interesting bit is the 900 MHz FSB !!! Plenty of space to grow, don't you think :-P

Edwin
Edwin

Offline DethKnight

• Show only replies by DethKnight
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2002, 10:01:58 PM »
@eddit

Yes that 900MHZ IPC-type bus was the detail that stuck out at me.
Seems like PPC is finally getting a clue, (build in some future to your chip)
Two of these bad boyz and any decent non mickey$oft OS, and I think I could make my own "switch" ad.
wanted; NONfunctional A3K keyboard wanted

Offline Mickey

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2002, 10:34:18 PM »
Dethknight,

nice inclusion of mickeysoft, that's priceless. Hmm I wonder what you used to post this message and I wonder how long it took you to assume that I love MS... hypocrite comes to mind, cause that's what you are no two way about that. guess what I used? no, no, no... guess again! :-D  :-D  :-D

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2002, 11:23:22 PM »
I'm glad to see that the PPC is at least trying to keep up with the x86. Ever noticed that the MHz advancement of x86 CPUs is at a stead pace, while PPC makes huge leaps? It's one of the reasons why, when everyone thinks PPC sucks, suddenly it's back in the running again. The performance of this chip will surely be better than any existing x86 chip.

The big problem is that when the 970 lands, the performance of the x86 may already have crawled far ahead of it again.

Offline pteppic

• Show only replies by pteppic
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2002, 11:28:05 PM »
Sorry Mickey, Im not normally one to defend people, but where did DeathKnight suggest you love MS? His post wasn't even a reply to you.

pt
\\"But please remember this is only a work of fiction.  The truth, as always, will be far stranger.\\"

---Arthur C. Clarke

Offline Mickey

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2002, 11:41:44 PM »
Pteppic please read this part of his post:

"Two of these bad boyz and any decent non mickey$oft OS, and I think I could make my own "switch" ad."

read the microsoft part carefully. so please defend me if you made an exception for him...pretty please. makes me sick to be called MS lover and I notice even the smallest hint.  ;-)

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2002, 12:14:54 AM »
Well, if IBM release a chipset as well then there's hope. Otherwise this processor will most likely power iMACs in 2003/4.

I don't think one could built a cheap PPC white box PC from Apple's Hardware...

Let's hope companies like MAI are interested in developing chipsets and motherboards for this cpu.

PPC market needs a cheap X86 style motherboard manufactures (I’m thinking more inline with **MSI/Gigabyte/Asus/PCChips/PC Partner/Acer/Tyan style companies).  

I don’t think “Big Blue” sell their X86 desktop motherboards directly end users (try looking for an IBM branded X86 motherboard as an example).

Having VIA/SIS level companies is nice, but the chain wouldn’t be complete with  cheap board manufactures**.

It would excellent proposition if Big Blue deliver near Nintendo Game Cube priced PPC motherboard (e.g. AUD $250~$320 range).

Highly unlikely for IBM to abandon the Wintel platform for PPC PC's unless M$ release PPC versions of their Operarting Systems like the old NT 3.51 days.

I recall, MS  Windows NT 4.0(up to Service Pack 3) was available for PPC (the company I work has a PPC edition (via old MSDN subscription).  NT 3.51 days is long dead by time of Windows NT 4.0.

As this news indicate
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/61/27413.html
IBM, MS and Intel are working again for 16 XEON based MS Windows Servers.

I guess they have almost buried their OS/2 vs MS Windows disagreements. Remember, IBM/Intel/MS are the original unholy trinity during 80s.
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline pteppic

• Show only replies by pteppic
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2002, 12:24:54 AM »
I havnt seen any mention of Microsoft from you in this thread, Mickeysoft is a pretty common "nickname" for them so no reason to assume its about you.  by the way if you want defending I do agree with the rest of your posts in this thread ;)

pt
\\"But please remember this is only a work of fiction.  The truth, as always, will be far stranger.\\"

---Arthur C. Clarke

Offline Hammer

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2002, 12:34:54 AM »
@IBM Press Release

52 million transistors would be in the range of Pentium 4’s transistors count. It’s more than the current Athlon XP(~37 million transistors).

I don’t think that chip is for cool computing when compared with the current PPCs.  

Prototype Hammer based motherboards is said to have 800Mhz FSB (via AMD’s hyper transport tech).

Offline Hammer

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2002, 12:41:04 AM »
The big problem is that when the 970 lands, the performance of the x86 may already have crawled far ahead of it again.

This press pelease may re-assure PPC fans, but it may give the competitors a target to beat.

IBM should have learned from ATI’s product release style.

Offline Mickey

« Reply #29 from previous page: October 15, 2002, 12:47:57 AM »
Pteppic, point taken'
Dethknight I appologize if you didn't mean me in your thread. I rush to judge, but it seemed possible at the time.  :-D

Pteppic, thanks for at least defending rest of my points :-)