Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Eyetech site updated  (Read 4949 times)

Description:

Offline Prmetime

• Show only replies by Prmetime
    • http://home.sprintmail.com/~prmetime
Re: Eyetech site updated
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2002, 02:42:54 AM »
Hi,
   I think this is very good news but I guess I must be missing something so I will ask everyone here.  Considering that the PPC G3 and associated motherboard is such a huge leap above the 68060, and there is limited software written natively in PPC code, is there really that big of an advantage of waiting for a G4 board?  I see the Amiga One SE as a great value and a huge jump in performance.  Why would I wait for the XE?

Offline jumpship

• Show only replies by jumpship
    • http://onlyamiga.kicks-ass.net
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2002, 02:51:15 AM »
Call me stupid, but I don't understans this bit:
we, and the majority of other AmigaOne dealers, will underwrite a trade-in value of your AmigaOneG3-SE during a period of 6 and 12 months after its purchase against the purchase of a new AmigaOne-XE with single G4 cpu module

What do they mean "underwrite"? I relise that they are offering a trade-in but don't quite understand the term!

Looking good tho! Now all we need is for Hyperion to post a list of all the features that they are going to put in OS4.0 and maybe even put a "tick" by the ones that they have finished so we know how much further we have to go :-)

Offline System

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2002, 03:24:18 AM »
i think its just another way of saying that they agree to one trading it in, giving a buyer a sense of security in which they can feel at ease knowing they can buy the SE and trade it in as a discount for the XE when it comes out, because it will be available relatively soon afterwards. just substitute 'underwrite' with 'agree to'.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2002, 03:34:17 AM »
?They are?, red, coder, and the other's ain't jumpin through the roof.

Well THEY announced it so I suppose I can speak:-) YES there are boards in the field. No i do not have mine :-(

Patience grasshopper ;-)
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline Quixote

• Show only replies by Quixote
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2002, 03:55:22 AM »
@Jumpship:

[opinion/educated guess]

;-) I suspect "underwrite" means that Eyetech will be supporting the trade-in policy financially.  That is, you take your old G3 board to your local dealer to trade it in on your new G4, and your dealer sends it on to Eyetech if no one in your area is buying the old boards.  This way your local dealer isn't forced to buy back boards he cannot sell.  Or something.  Maybe.

[/opinion/educated guess]

:-D Still, looks good!

Offline TallAmigan

• Show only replies by TallAmigan
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2002, 06:03:54 AM »
I have a feeling that RSN we will be hearing from Amiga Inc.

The pressure is building behind the dam...

Hey what gives at ANN.... I mean AFF..
 :-D
A.S.K.- Amiga Society of Kentuckiana

Offline newbee

• Show only replies by newbee
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2002, 07:11:42 AM »
I think it is even better for than that.

What they are doing is garanteeing a good secondary market for the AmigaOne G3. I doubt that everyone will trade their boards straight up but it sets the "minimum price" that the boards will go down to.

It also means that Eyetech will have a good reason to keep the original G3's in service (will they resell the traded ones again at a discout???)..

Regards
Darren
I\\\'ve never used an Amiga

Convince me....

I am your future :-)

*** News Flash ***
I am now a happy user of UAE, you can now call me \\"convert\\"

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2002, 07:33:39 AM »
@KennyR

"Now no-one in my belief can fault Eyetech's sense of fairness. I myself would have chosen a much more cynical marketing plan - release the SE first without telling anyone about the XE, then release the XE 6 months later: the result - selling more boards, since those with SEs with feel obliged to upgrade. In other words, industry standard tactics."

I don't want to piss in anyone's beer, but you might say the announcement is a cynical marketing ploy. By announcing a trade-in price now the obvious aim is to encourage those who might have been tempted to wait for the promised G4 system to buy a G3 Amiga NOW, as they would be getting most of their money back in the trade-in.

You ought to ask youself: and when will the XE be available? Will it be 6 months, 12 months, more?...

Will the XE be launched before AOS4 is completed? If not - and I suggest that would be unlikely - how long before AOS4 is released?

Not that I blame Eyetech.  From a business and marketing point of view the announcement is the smart thing to do, and Alan is nobody's fool.

[makes a grab for the asbestos suit on the way out  :-D]
Bill Hoggett

Offline Blitter

• Show only replies by Blitter
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2002, 07:43:56 AM »
bhoggett,

I don't want to piss in anyone's beer, but you might say the announcement is a cynical marketing ploy. By announcing a trade-in price now the obvious aim is to encourage those who might have been tempted to wait for the promised G4 system to buy a G3 Amiga NOW, as they would be getting most of their money back in the trade-in.

I kinda answered this in the forums, but what the heck.

You are right it's a marketing ploy to get the ppl that never upgraded their classic Amigas with the powerPC accelerators because of the price.  However, giving the 'comminity' this nice trade in option is not unheard of.  It had happened in the past with Phase5.

I will leave it at that.  In the end everyone will make their own decisions and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

I know this is old, but... there is a saying/prayer ( depending on how you view it ) that states "grant me the serinity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can(ie... yourself... as in the first person, you being the one saying this***), and the wisdom to know the difference."

Blitter

***I know someone out there is not going to get what I meant and a FW is going to happen.  Oh well, I tried to make it as clear as I could.  I'm not a master of any language.
\\"What the hell am I looking at? When does this happen in the movie?\\"
- Dark Helmet

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2002, 02:41:01 PM »
I just hope more clone A1/PPC motherboard manufactures enter the market, especially in the Far East/Australasian region.

Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline Juzz

• Show only replies by Juzz
    • http://www.justin.dk
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2002, 04:08:13 PM »
What do they mean "underwrite"?

Hi Jumpship,

Humm.. "underwrite" could be a very direct translation of the danish word "underskrive", which means giving your signature on paper - as in "sign" when you sign an agreement or other sort of papers...
Though I have not heard of anyone at Eyetech being danish - I could be wrong - but usually the danes have sufficient skills when it comes to english to know that the proper wording would be "sign an agreement on a trade-in offer" - if that indeed is the case.
Hope I didn't loose to many in my attempt at explaining things  ;-)
A1 XE Owner :-D
It runs very nice :-P

Offline Radfoo

• Show only replies by Radfoo
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2002, 06:17:40 PM »
Weird, the word underwrite must be an english word used in Great Britain, if that makes any sense. I live in England and the word is used quite often in this type of situation, you see it on TV adverts and stuff.

Basically the Eyetech page actualy explains the word underwrite imediatly after.

Underwrite = They are taking/risking the cost implications and guarantee you wont be out of pocket (by much).

Offline System

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2002, 07:13:36 PM »
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do they mean "underwrite"?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Underwrite' is a common insurance expression. It means that we will (under the circumstances we have outlined) guarantee the minimum secondhand value of an A1G3-SE board. We and other participating dealers will of course sell these boards on to new purchasers - as second user boards but with a full 12 months warranty - and obviously at more than the price at which we buy them back. That means that the market price of second user A1G3-SE boards will be above the trade-in level which we have set, so users will probably get more by selling them privately. But if they choose not to sell their boards privately, we will 'underwrite' the minimum trade-in value which they will get.

Of course this offer will only be available to users who purchase the A1G3-SE in advance of the AmigaOne-XE shipping. After that purchasers can choose the type of board which best suits their needs and budgets from the outset.

Alan

Offline hnl_dk

• Show only replies by hnl_dk
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2002, 07:38:58 PM »
Hi Alan,

When do you think the AmigOneG3-SE (and the AmigaOne-XE) is ready?
Best regards,
Henning Nielsen Lund [Denmark]...

Offline ksk

• Show only replies by ksk
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2002, 09:14:35 PM »
I think AmigaOneG3-SE is 100% ready. Why would it not be?

"The AmigaOneG3-SE will not be shipped to end users until OS4 is ready, but boards for OS4 developers and beta testers are already out in the field. "
And developer boards are identical to end user boards.

According to Eyetech AmigaOne-XE prototypes and CPU cards are also ready.

"The prototype socketed AmigaOne-XE board and the associated plug-in G3 and G4 modules have already been built and tested. "

(but I wonder if the prototype is TeronPX, like the A1.5 proto was the TeronCX)

I expect AmigaOne-XE to be a enchanced/evolution of TeronPX board.

Alan is free to correct me if neededd. ;-)

- ksk

Offline Rodney

• Show only replies by Rodney
    • http://donthaveone.com/
« Reply #29 from previous page: May 31, 2002, 11:48:02 PM »
I wont be getting an inital A1 by any means. Has nothing to do with AmigaOS or the techs behind teh board. Just that, my PII is doing alright atm :)

Might get an XE - could be interesting. - I wouldnt mind trying MacOSX as well... Gee, that looks like a nice OS... specialy for the unix geek!
We are not Humans having a spirital experiance
We are Spirits having a Human experiance.