Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: IBM Goes Own Way with PowerPC  (Read 2900 times)

Description:

Offline GadgetMasterTopic starter

• Show only replies by GadgetMaster
IBM Goes Own Way with PowerPC
« on: May 14, 2002, 12:50:12 AM »
The PowerPC 405LP shuts off portions of the chip that are not in use, reducing both active and standby power in chips by up to 10 times compared with current designs.

More Here:

Newsfactor Article

Offline hnl_dk

• Show only replies by hnl_dk
Re: IBM Goes Own Way with PowerPC
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2002, 12:58:00 AM »
I hope we're soon going to see a ABookOne ;o)

I think that we always have needed a portable Amiga!
Best regards,
Henning Nielsen Lund [Denmark]...

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2002, 01:09:05 AM »
Definitely agreed.

I think that AmigaOS4 can scale down a lot, being so lightweight. Hell, a version of AmigaOS3.x would have been much more suitable for PalmPilots than the singletasking thing they made at the time.

So I would definitely like to see AmigaOS4.x powered webpads, PDAs, etc, using these low power IBM processors.

Graham

Offline newbee

• Show only replies by newbee
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2002, 01:50:09 AM »
Don't forget this great one-liner

IBM has already introduced a PowerPC G3 running at 1 GHz that A

This has to be considered a Great plus for the current AmigaOne...
I\\\'ve never used an Amiga

Convince me....

I am your future :-)

*** News Flash ***
I am now a happy user of UAE, you can now call me \\"convert\\"

Offline hnl_dk

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2002, 02:02:45 AM »
Yep ;o)

It could be nice with a 1GHz AmigaOne (maybe Portable AmigaOne!)
Best regards,

Offline hnl_dk

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2002, 02:06:39 AM »
Or what about:
... and aiming to create 2 GHz ultrascalar and multi-core chips ...

Maybe ready for AmigaOS 5 :o)
Best regards,

Offline eddit

• Show only replies by eddit
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2002, 02:44:29 AM »
Having looked at the article, I don't think it's particularly accurate.  Look at this comment:

"IBM's PowerPC roadmap, which is completely devoid of any reference to the AltiVec acceleration unit, calls for chip architecture to exceed the 2 GHz barrier in the coming year."

While the IBM Roadmap doesn't say particularly AltiVec, it does say the IBM's G5 will include a Integrated SIMD, which is what AltiVec is  :roll:  :roll:

It looks to me is that all the author of the article has done is take a few press clippings from the IBM site, look at the roadmap and added some IBM vs Motorola hype :-(

Edwin
Edwin

Offline Bobsonsirjonny

• Show only replies by Bobsonsirjonny
    • http://amigadevbox.happybiscuit.com/
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2002, 04:15:29 AM »
Amiga One desktop - not really for me. The apps wont be there for me to warrant buying one. But a 1ghz Amiga One laptop - we'll there is just enough of a gimmick there to persuade me to place my pennies in the hands of whoever makes them....

Seriously - I'm begining prefer laptops to desktops. What would be very cool would be to have a fast A1 laptop - that could have some mac emulation. I could be on a train - doing my work on an A1 (Ibook's etc are so very expensive for what they are). Any rendering stuff - things that require computing brute force - I could send to my desktop PC. I could then keep the PC for automated stuff. but then I'd have to buy Mac versions of the software as well ...... crap. A1 laptop PC emulation I imagine wouldnt be that great... bugger. Oh well another 3 seconds to draw by 8.00am.
The REAL BOBSON - accept no immitations!

8 Bloody Tickets!
http://amigadevbox.happybiscuit.com/

http://www.killingwithkindness.com/

Some of my drawings

Offline JetFireDX

• Show only replies by JetFireDX
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2002, 05:27:08 AM »
"Apple's aging iBook line is still using a relatively sluggish 600 MHz G3 processor at the high end." and this sluggish 600mhz is what everybody is so happy about having in the A1? .... I agree that a 1ghz A1 would be much better, but it isn't gonna happen. Not for a while, and at this rate we will always play catch up. (Which is how I think some like it now) Regardless of the cost the A1 should have been designed around a faster PPC, G4 to begin with. That would atleast bring you up to what the average new Mac is powered by. Also, I cannot conceive that the cost to go G4 over G3 would be so significant as to desuade those who will buy the A1's even if they were $1000. Amigans seem to like to spend a lot of money on their hardware, by god give them powerful hardware too.

Offline gary_c

• Show only replies by gary_c
    • http://www.cunningham-lee.com
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2002, 08:58:04 AM »
This is just what I've been thinking. The AmigaOne is already expensive. A few more hundred dollars isn't really going to deter anybody who's already on board. And enough added power to make the board something special could bring more customers. Of course the big question is what people are going to do with this hardware until the OS is out and apps start coming. But putting it closer to  the top of the PPC line instead of at the bottom would certainly make any use more interesting.

As for the fast g3s, how about this for a neat idea: OQO. (Flash site about an "ultra-personal computer.")
 The OQO runs on a Crusoe cpu, has a 4" VGA touchscreen, 10GB HD, USB, Firewire, Bluetooth, etc. 4.9" x 2.9" x 0.9"/105mm x 74mm x 22mm; 9 oz./250 grams. This is gonna be a great little device. The OQO runs WindowsXP, but the potential for a smaller-footprint OS is obvious, especially when the HD and ram sizes are constrained. So how about a competing box(ette) with a fast G3 cpu and AmigaOS? (Somewhat in dream mode about Amiga being up to the task, probably.) Of course, if AmigaAnywhere becomes something useful,  the OQO itself would be an ideal platform for it.

Several years ago I would have been dreaming about BeOS on this little palmtop, which would have been really sweet, had everything fallen into place; now that that one's dead, I'm not sure what else can step in. I'm hoping Amiga can come up with a contender.

-- gary_c

Offline Bobsonsirjonny

• Show only replies by Bobsonsirjonny
    • http://amigadevbox.happybiscuit.com/
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2002, 09:22:59 AM »
I've been to the site - it loaded instantly -  wow my connection is actually being like a T1 at the moment - must be the time of day.

OQO is a nice idea - more PDA like - but it has enough grunt and features to make it very usefull. Is this the type of device that Amiga.Inc are aiming to target?

Just adding this - last night my download speed was a lousy 3 kbs - thats usually fast for me. This morning I'm hitting 80 kbs. College charge us for a so called t1 - well it looks like they finally fixed it. Great its taken them 5 months and I finish my degree in 9 days........  :-x  This really pisses me off - they could have fixed it earlier - when I needed fast downloads.......
The REAL BOBSON - accept no immitations!

8 Bloody Tickets!
http://amigadevbox.happybiscuit.com/

http://www.killingwithkindness.com/

Some of my drawings

Offline MAD

• Show only replies by MAD
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2002, 01:05:43 PM »
Hoya!

Well, Ibooks are ageing because of today's "gimme more" consumering
style. But we, as Amigans, know that CPU power doesn't mean OVERALL
power, does it?
Just have a look at what could be done with 060'ers, 0Id 5K00I (notice
the warez stylee! ;-) ) PPCs and you'll realise that a 1gH AONE would
be an absolute killer!

Moreover, I'm sure (no fact to justify this, only my intuition ;-) )
that G4s will be ready quite soon...

Hope+Action=Reality!

Be Funky!

M A D
:afro: AMIGA :afro:
- The Computer With A Soul-

Offline Skyraker

• Show only replies by Skyraker
    • http://www.wolves.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2002, 05:06:36 PM »
It really pisses me off that we are getting Apple's cast off processors, and the way they talk about the 'ageing' G3 in this editorial is exactly the way that the press is going to view the G3 in the Amione, regardless of how it performs... speaking of that i'm hoping that OS4 is lightweight enough to outperform a G4 mac using a G3... but time will tell

Regards

Skyraker.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have the body of an 18 year old ......... I keep it in the fridge.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline ido

• Show only replies by ido
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2002, 05:39:51 PM »
the way they talk about the 'ageing' G3 in this editorial is exactly the way that the press is going to view the G3 in the Amione, regardless of how it performs...

i don't thik the press is going to view the AmiOne at all... when was the last time you've seen an article about the amiga (other then in tech/geek web based magazines)? i think that for me it was in something like `96... the sad truth is that the print media don't give $#@! about the Amiga. you can see a mac section now and there... a bit about linux... all the rest is about windblows!
--\\"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.\\"

Offline AmigaMac

• Show only replies by AmigaMac
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2002, 06:13:14 PM »
I don't think Apple is going to jump IBM's ship just yet.  The AIM initiative is still apparent.  But with IBM giving the G3 all she's got is a good thing especially for Amiga.  I knew IBM would trickle the Power4 tech down to the PowerPC line eventually, it's in their nature.  More good things are yet to come and I think Amiga (and its community) will prove its worth soon enough!