Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AMD Opteron: NUMA based MP.  (Read 3084 times)

Description:

Chathurawind

AMD Opteron: NUMA based MP.
« on: April 28, 2002, 04:26:52 AM »
AMD had announced new Opteron CPU.  There will be multiple 64 bit X86 cores inside a single CPU. The product will be available in summer 2002. The NUMA (non uniform memory access) is more suitable for AMIGA DE / AA than SMP (Symmetric Multi Processing).  Read it here

Offline kubyx

• Show only replies by kubyx
    • http://www.amigatoday.com
Re: AMD Opteron: NUMA based MP.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2002, 06:05:12 AM »
1... It's still x86.
2... "Clawhammer" will be still only 32-bit, and is rumored to be offically called Athlon 64.
3... "Sledgehammer" now offically called Opteron will be the 64-bit CPU.
4... It's still x86. :-P
Amiga Today - http://www.amigatoday.com

Amiga A1200, Blizzard 1260 060@50Mhz, 32mb Fast Ram, 250Meg hard drive, Squirrel SCSI, 4x CD-ROM, Magnvox 80 column monitor, ZOOM 56k modem, Amiga OS 3.5

Offline Loki1

• Show only replies by Loki1
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2002, 06:13:11 AM »
Yes, it is still x86!

BUT, AmigaOS 5 will be able to run on it!

Loki
Amiga - Resistance was Futile! :-(

Offline Loki1

• Show only replies by Loki1
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2002, 06:22:12 AM »
According to the road-map graphic,

The Clawhammer is 64-bit but does not have the MP technology of the Sledgehammer!!

It has the same x86-64 technology as Sledgehammer which is the AMD 64bit system.

Whats even more interesting is that Intel will be using the same x86-64 instruction set!

Loki
Amiga - Resistance was Futile! :-(

Offline jarrody2k

• Show only replies by jarrody2k
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2002, 08:41:06 AM »
Duh, yeah, gee, what d'ya know... it is x86.

I mean, isn't it exciting that the processor family that:

1) will have the most bang per buck (not due to efficiency of process but because of its HUGE DEMAND (name me a chip that beats it for money vs power))

2) with the largest share of programmers' experience

3) with the biggest install base

... will be able to drive Amiga applications?

Get over your Intel-phobia guys, AMD is now in charge!

Jarrod

Chathurawind

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2002, 09:05:43 AM »

is more suitable for AMIGA DE / AA than SMP (Symmetric Multi Processing). Read it here

That makes sence? The CPU is more suitable for AmigaDE/AA than SMP? HUH?

Offline JetFireDX

• Show only replies by JetFireDX
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2002, 09:47:22 AM »
Jarrody -  I totally agree with you. I feel that user base / number fo experienced programmers / bang for buck is the way to go. Most on here however hate the x86 simply because it is Microsofts CPU of choice. I for one, think there is nothing wrong with CPU, it's whats running ON it that is wrong!

Mr. Anon - I think what the most suited than SMP is supposed to mean is that since the single chip contains multiple cores (hence like 4 chips squeezed into one) and the fact that they can all access each others mem is more effecient (programing / space / cost / heat / power - wise) than having to manually handle multiple CPU's all seperate and having to move data to external memory for other's to get their hands on it.

Offline jumpship

• Show only replies by jumpship
    • http://onlyamiga.kicks-ass.net
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2002, 11:06:36 AM »
I have no problem with the x86 series of processors. I have always liked AMD as my prime CPU choice for my Window$ machine. However, I have two concerns about this new CPU....

1). If it is doing to have more then one CPU core in it, am I the only one who is concerned about the cooling needed for this? I mean I have a 1.4GHz Ath which has a fair sized 'sink and have seen the size of the 'sink needed for the 2000XP (Let alone the one Intel suggest for the 2.4 P4! Now that is BIG!). What with the ATI AIW's (8500 on) it is now almost possable to have your PC as the center of your audio/video setup. The last thing you need is a box in the corner making more noise from its 5 fans (One it PSU, one on CPU, one on the graphics card, poss one on the chipset and a case fan (or two)) then your vacum cleaner!

2). From the diagrgam on the report it would seem that the cpu needs seperate memory for each proccessing unit. Ok, memory these days it quite resonable, but I assume the memory has to be the same size for each unit, which lets face it could turn out to be expensive when you need more mem!

These days I have given up on the raw speed for PC's, my 1.4 can do DVD-Decoding and with my AIW Radeon, DVD-EnCoding at a good rate and quality. As I very rarley use it for games, (which at the end of the day is really what most home users will more then likely use there machine for) I have no need anymore for a faster CPU.

Just some random thoughts I had on the matter, please pay me no mind  :-D

BTW I think it is a shame that AmigaINC didn't go the x86, even if they stayed with one producer (i.e. Asus, cause I know about the chipset problem), you never know, we may have had OS4 by now. PPC is a nice option and I like it, mainly for the lack of heatsink so it will be quiter, but the dev time to make a new board and OS is (as we have seen) a long time

Offline Turrican

• Show only replies by Turrican
BS !
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2002, 12:30:59 PM »
2... "Clawhammer" will be still only 32-bit, and is rumored to be offically called Athlon 64.

What a terrible missinformation!!

ClawHammer IS (or better will be) 64bit CPU.
ClawHammer is a light version of SledgeHammer, the share the same technology.

ClawHammer (aka Athlon 64) will be for Desktop PCs that is why they still use the already well known Athlon brand.

Oh and no it is not x86 anymore, it is x86-64 now. Oh and yes it will kick PowerPC's arse even more now...

Don't get me wrong I am a supporter of PowerPC and that cpu in the new Amiga is very good, but 1+1=2 not 3 or 1. x86 IS BETTER right now.

Now it's the flame time :)

Chathurawind

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2002, 12:42:40 PM »
"The product will be available in summer 2002."

Surely the year is 2003?

Chathurawind

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2002, 12:49:47 PM »
"Shipments of the AMD Opteron processor are planned to begin in the first half of 2003 "

And that is from www.amd.com .

Better read before post.

Offline System

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2002, 02:46:24 PM »
Mr. Anon - I think what the most suited than SMP is supposed to mean is that since the single chip contains multiple cores (hence like 4 chips squeezed into one) and the fact that they can all access each others mem is more effecient (programing / space / cost / heat / power - wise) than having to manually handle multiple CPU's all seperate and having to move data to external memory for other's to get their hands on it.

This is not true... AMD originaly thought about using dual cores for the Sledgehammer, but this will not happen until they get their 0.09micron fabrication online.. This will be in the second half of next year.

Btw, Clawhammer will be out in October this year, and Opteron(Clawhammer DP and Sledgehammer) will be out in Q1 2003.

Vidar

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2002, 03:56:47 PM »
I am afraid that you do not know what you are talking about.

x86-64 is a big improvement over x86 architecturally. It now has 16 64-bit general purpose integer registers, 16 128-bit SSE2 registers and 16 general purpose floating point registers - a much better number all-told than x86-32.

The 64-bit AMD platform is split up into 3 products:

- Athlon XP64
- Opteron DP
- Opteron MP

they all have ONE processor core. The first one uses a ~750pin socket, the latter two use a ~950pin socket. The first two have 512KB L2 cache, the latter has 1MB L2 cache. The first only works in a single CPU system (one 800MHz double pumped HyperTransport link), the second has 2 links (some think 3 links), and the latter has 3 links and dual-DDR PC2700 memory busses, whereas the first two only have a single DDR PC2700 bus.

The first one will be available in October/November 2002, the other two around 3 months later.

The platform will work very well in SMP mode, and even better with a NUMA aware operating system.

Motherboards for the single CPU will cost around $200 on release, with a ~$400 CPU.

In 32-bit code, the processor will have IPC 25% higher than the current Athlon processor. In 64-bit mode the IPC will be 35 - 45% higher. A lot of this is due to the reduced latency of having the memory controller on the CPU die, the rest is from architectural improvements.

Yes, this CPU will wipe the floor with any G3 or G4, even if they were clocked at the same speed. AthlonXP64 is going to be released at ~2.2GHz...

Offline Elektro

• Show only replies by Elektro
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2002, 05:40:08 PM »
About time for that G5 I say...
#amiga.org @ irc.synirc.net

Chathurawind

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2002, 08:09:13 PM »
Unfortunately, the only major PC vendor who use AMD CPUs is none other than ...  Gateway!

DELL never use AMD. IBM, HP and COMPAQ had discontinued AMD based product because of inefficiency in manufacturing. They prefer to use only INTEL CPUs.