Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AMD Opteron: NUMA based MP.  (Read 3124 times)

Description:

Offline jumpship

• Show all replies
    • http://onlyamiga.kicks-ass.net
Re: AMD Opteron: NUMA based MP.
« on: April 28, 2002, 11:06:36 AM »
I have no problem with the x86 series of processors. I have always liked AMD as my prime CPU choice for my Window$ machine. However, I have two concerns about this new CPU....

1). If it is doing to have more then one CPU core in it, am I the only one who is concerned about the cooling needed for this? I mean I have a 1.4GHz Ath which has a fair sized 'sink and have seen the size of the 'sink needed for the 2000XP (Let alone the one Intel suggest for the 2.4 P4! Now that is BIG!). What with the ATI AIW's (8500 on) it is now almost possable to have your PC as the center of your audio/video setup. The last thing you need is a box in the corner making more noise from its 5 fans (One it PSU, one on CPU, one on the graphics card, poss one on the chipset and a case fan (or two)) then your vacum cleaner!

2). From the diagrgam on the report it would seem that the cpu needs seperate memory for each proccessing unit. Ok, memory these days it quite resonable, but I assume the memory has to be the same size for each unit, which lets face it could turn out to be expensive when you need more mem!

These days I have given up on the raw speed for PC's, my 1.4 can do DVD-Decoding and with my AIW Radeon, DVD-EnCoding at a good rate and quality. As I very rarley use it for games, (which at the end of the day is really what most home users will more then likely use there machine for) I have no need anymore for a faster CPU.

Just some random thoughts I had on the matter, please pay me no mind  :-D

BTW I think it is a shame that AmigaINC didn't go the x86, even if they stayed with one producer (i.e. Asus, cause I know about the chipset problem), you never know, we may have had OS4 by now. PPC is a nice option and I like it, mainly for the lack of heatsink so it will be quiter, but the dev time to make a new board and OS is (as we have seen) a long time