Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOne Article at the Register  (Read 5607 times)

Description:

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show all replies
Re: AmigaOne Article at the Register
« on: March 27, 2002, 08:39:59 PM »
Yeah sweet! Now if The USA-Register could convince it's partner Toms-Hardware to do a review...

:idea:
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2002, 07:17:30 PM »
I can't completely agree Sehund. Time will tell how efficient the AmigaOne is at gaming. Will an AmigaOne with a Radeon 8500 beat an AthlonXP 2100 with a Geforce4 at Quake 2? Not bloody likely. Will it give a surprisingly strong showing? I do believe so! Also using Quake II as an example, CPU speed isn't the #1 factor, the GFX card and drivers are!

I remember a while back on Tom's Hardware they proved that a 700Mhz Athlon with a Geforce2 had nearly identical preformance with Quake3 as an 1.2Ghz Athlon with the same Geforce2.

If we are blessed with mature lightweight drivers and optimised game ports, the gap between the highest end PC and our little AmigaOne shouldn't be too bad.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2002, 02:23:20 PM »
Joe Computer Buyer sees "600 megawatchacallems vs. 2.2 gigasomethings. 133 megahurts vs. 333 megahorse DDR FSB. AyGeePee 2 eks vs. AyGeePee 4 eks. $500? ..

No the A1G3-SE isn't ready to lure Joe Six-Pack into buying it yet. But then again Joe Six-pack probably is content with his Win95 based eMachine running AOL.  <--------- Think about that for a minute! Quite frightening isn't it?

At this point the A1G3-SE will lure present and former Amigans, some Linux peeps, and possibly a few new Amigans who are compuyter saavy. However personally I think if Amiga, Eyetech and Hyperion play their cards right they should be able to go 'mainstream' by ~OS4.2. A full featured browser, one decent office suite(Open Office?), and a beefy G4 would be enough to give the mac a run for it's money. Hell give Apple someone to sue again(think iFusion).

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2002, 08:46:50 PM »
But then again Joe Six-pack probably is content with his Win95 based eMachine running AOL.

Think about that for a minute! Scary stuff isn't it?  :-o