Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOne Article at the Register  (Read 5602 times)

Description:

Offline Seehund

• Show all replies
    • http://AmigaPOP.8bit.co.uk/
Re: AmigaOne Article at the Register
« on: March 27, 2002, 10:47:11 PM »
The Reg seems to have missed that Amiga and Eyetech didn't make this board, but I guess that's an understandable mistake from "outsiders" who don't bother doing more research than reading a press release written in fluent marketese.  They could have mentioned that OS4 will run on more than one board too, after all it was in the Exec Update.

redrumloa wrote:

> Now if The USA-Register could convince it's partner
> Toms-Hardware to do a review...

I'm afraid that could be an embarrassing spectacle. When Tom's, Anandtech et al. have counted FPS in Quake 3, measured RAM bandwidth and so on, they will compare the results with the latest and greatest Athlon/P4 gaming rigs, which of course would make both the A1 and the Pegasos look plain miserable and ancient. I wouldn't blame them, those are the numbers their readers are interested in.

They need to compare them to other products in the same market segment, i.e. low-power LinuxPPC servers and development platforms. AFAICT this isn't very interesting for people like Tom, Anand and their audiences.

[color=0000FF]Maybe it\\\'s still possible to [/color]save AmigaOS [color=0000FF][/size][/color]  :rtfm:......

Offline Seehund

• Show all replies
Re: AmigaOne Article at the Register
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2002, 09:40:31 AM »
Redrumloa,

Yeah, I agree that for 3D gaming, the gfx card and drivers are of utmost importance. That still doesn't negate the effect of a relatively "slow" CPU, RAM/FSB and lack of AGP 4x. Also, to do game benchmarking with current hardware like GeForce4 they'll have to resort to running Linux. Running Linux negates any possible advantages the Pegasos/A1 may have with a "lean & mean" OS like AOS4 will hopefully be, but Linux is what they'll have to use to compare the performance of specific apps that also run on other systems.

Hopefully, when/if the mainstream (i.e. not Amiga-only) media reviews AOS4 and its hardware options, they'll step into it with open eyes and take it for what it is. They'll have to understand and tell their readers that it can't be (directly) compared with the latest x86 monsters.

Joe Computer Buyer sees "600 megawatchacallems vs. 2.2 gigasomethings. 133 megahurts vs. 333 megahorse DDR FSB. AyGeePee 2 eks vs. AyGeePee 4 eks. $500? ..." After that he doesn't care if a hypothetical Quake 3 port only runs 10% slower on this than it does on 100% faster hardware.

Amiga, Eyetech, bPlan et al.; let this gain hype, awe, acceptance and users in the expert/hobbyist camps (Amiga, Linux et c. users), let it grow and get new apps/games and have 68k and Win/Linux software ported. Advertise on OSDN and similar channels. Don't show the mainstream a pile of snow. They'll laugh at it, turn their backs at you and not come back. Make a ball of that snow and get it rolling, then show it to the mainstream.

Now I have exhausted my stock of stupid analogies for today. Rejoice! ;)
[color=0000FF]Maybe it\\\'s still possible to [/color]save AmigaOS [color=0000FF][/size][/color]  :rtfm:......

Offline Seehund

• Show all replies
Re: AmigaOne Article at Tom's Hardware.
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2002, 09:45:29 AM »
Mikey C wrote:
> I'm afraid you are incorrect, Tom's Hardware does cover the story,

What, are you replying to me?
Yes, they repeat The Register's story. No, they don't review anything.