Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOne Article at the Register  (Read 5525 times)

Description:

Offline AndyCTopic starter

• Show only replies by AndyC
AmigaOne Article at the Register
« on: March 27, 2002, 07:00:32 PM »
The Register.co.uk runs a positive, if brief, review of the recent announcements from Amiga Inc.

please follow the link below:

The Register Article

More of the same in the press please!!

Sarah Palin... seriously?

Offline Housey

• Show only replies by Housey
    • http://amiga.org/modules/mylinks/visit.php?lid=33
Re: AmigaOne Article at the Register
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2002, 08:11:42 PM »
The Register, for the record, started thinking "want one" about halfway down Bill's bulletin.

SWEET  :-P

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2002, 08:39:59 PM »
Yeah sweet! Now if The USA-Register could convince it's partner Toms-Hardware to do a review...

:idea:
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline System

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2002, 09:11:55 PM »
SWEET!!!!

Offline Seehund

• Show only replies by Seehund
    • http://AmigaPOP.8bit.co.uk/
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2002, 10:47:11 PM »
The Reg seems to have missed that Amiga and Eyetech didn't make this board, but I guess that's an understandable mistake from "outsiders" who don't bother doing more research than reading a press release written in fluent marketese.  They could have mentioned that OS4 will run on more than one board too, after all it was in the Exec Update.

redrumloa wrote:

> Now if The USA-Register could convince it's partner
> Toms-Hardware to do a review...

I'm afraid that could be an embarrassing spectacle. When Tom's, Anandtech et al. have counted FPS in Quake 3, measured RAM bandwidth and so on, they will compare the results with the latest and greatest Athlon/P4 gaming rigs, which of course would make both the A1 and the Pegasos look plain miserable and ancient. I wouldn't blame them, those are the numbers their readers are interested in.

They need to compare them to other products in the same market segment, i.e. low-power LinuxPPC servers and development platforms. AFAICT this isn't very interesting for people like Tom, Anand and their audiences.

[color=0000FF]Maybe it\\\'s still possible to [/color]save AmigaOS [color=0000FF][/size][/color]  :rtfm:......

Offline amigamad

• Show only replies by amigamad
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2002, 12:10:42 AM »
Took them long enough to notice the amiga one is coming .
at least the amiga is getting noticed a lot now.
I once had an amigaone xe but sold it .

http://www.tamiyaclub.com

Offline System

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2002, 05:17:07 PM »
Nice to see this article.

I’m continually amazed at how many people the Amiga platform has touched over the years.   It seems like pay back time for recalled pleasant Amiga computing experiences (what a concept)  ;-)  and the timing couldn’t be better!

Bob C.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2002, 07:17:30 PM »
I can't completely agree Sehund. Time will tell how efficient the AmigaOne is at gaming. Will an AmigaOne with a Radeon 8500 beat an AthlonXP 2100 with a Geforce4 at Quake 2? Not bloody likely. Will it give a surprisingly strong showing? I do believe so! Also using Quake II as an example, CPU speed isn't the #1 factor, the GFX card and drivers are!

I remember a while back on Tom's Hardware they proved that a 700Mhz Athlon with a Geforce2 had nearly identical preformance with Quake3 as an 1.2Ghz Athlon with the same Geforce2.

If we are blessed with mature lightweight drivers and optimised game ports, the gap between the highest end PC and our little AmigaOne shouldn't be too bad.

Offline Mikey_C

• Show only replies by Mikey_C
Re: AmigaOne Article at Tom's Hardware.
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2002, 11:37:55 PM »
I'm afraid you are incorrect, Tom's Hardware does cover the story,
take a look at http://www.tomshardware.com/technews/index.html

So Hah!! ;P

kind regards

Mikey C
YNWA!

Offline Seehund

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2002, 09:40:31 AM »
Redrumloa,

Yeah, I agree that for 3D gaming, the gfx card and drivers are of utmost importance. That still doesn't negate the effect of a relatively "slow" CPU, RAM/FSB and lack of AGP 4x. Also, to do game benchmarking with current hardware like GeForce4 they'll have to resort to running Linux. Running Linux negates any possible advantages the Pegasos/A1 may have with a "lean & mean" OS like AOS4 will hopefully be, but Linux is what they'll have to use to compare the performance of specific apps that also run on other systems.

Hopefully, when/if the mainstream (i.e. not Amiga-only) media reviews AOS4 and its hardware options, they'll step into it with open eyes and take it for what it is. They'll have to understand and tell their readers that it can't be (directly) compared with the latest x86 monsters.

Joe Computer Buyer sees "600 megawatchacallems vs. 2.2 gigasomethings. 133 megahurts vs. 333 megahorse DDR FSB. AyGeePee 2 eks vs. AyGeePee 4 eks. $500? ..." After that he doesn't care if a hypothetical Quake 3 port only runs 10% slower on this than it does on 100% faster hardware.

Amiga, Eyetech, bPlan et al.; let this gain hype, awe, acceptance and users in the expert/hobbyist camps (Amiga, Linux et c. users), let it grow and get new apps/games and have 68k and Win/Linux software ported. Advertise on OSDN and similar channels. Don't show the mainstream a pile of snow. They'll laugh at it, turn their backs at you and not come back. Make a ball of that snow and get it rolling, then show it to the mainstream.

Now I have exhausted my stock of stupid analogies for today. Rejoice! ;)
[color=0000FF]Maybe it\\\'s still possible to [/color]save AmigaOS [color=0000FF][/size][/color]  :rtfm:......

Offline Seehund

Re: AmigaOne Article at Tom's Hardware.
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2002, 09:45:29 AM »
Mikey C wrote:
> I'm afraid you are incorrect, Tom's Hardware does cover the story,

What, are you replying to me?
Yes, they repeat The Register's story. No, they don't review anything.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2002, 02:23:20 PM »
Joe Computer Buyer sees "600 megawatchacallems vs. 2.2 gigasomethings. 133 megahurts vs. 333 megahorse DDR FSB. AyGeePee 2 eks vs. AyGeePee 4 eks. $500? ..

No the A1G3-SE isn't ready to lure Joe Six-Pack into buying it yet. But then again Joe Six-pack probably is content with his Win95 based eMachine running AOL.  <--------- Think about that for a minute! Quite frightening isn't it?

At this point the A1G3-SE will lure present and former Amigans, some Linux peeps, and possibly a few new Amigans who are compuyter saavy. However personally I think if Amiga, Eyetech and Hyperion play their cards right they should be able to go 'mainstream' by ~OS4.2. A full featured browser, one decent office suite(Open Office?), and a beefy G4 would be enough to give the mac a run for it's money. Hell give Apple someone to sue again(think iFusion).

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2002, 08:46:50 PM »
But then again Joe Six-pack probably is content with his Win95 based eMachine running AOL.

Think about that for a minute! Scary stuff isn't it?  :-o