Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A3000 MIDI or serial port problems  (Read 1136 times)

Description:

Offline trilobyteTopic starter

• Show only replies by trilobyte
    • http://aaack.org
A3000 MIDI or serial port problems
« on: January 08, 2019, 03:20:36 AM »
Hi all,

Puzzling one, this.  I've got an A3000UX which barely survived battery destruction before it entered my possession in 2017.  (Two others from the same batch didn't survive.)  It's a softkick 1.4 machine.  Its clock is dead, of course, and the scandoubler works but the deinterlacer has some problems.  Also, nearly any keyboard I attach to it has some keys that are difficult and/or unresponsive, but the problem keys are different on every keyboard (I've tried three).  I'm softkicking 2.04 currently.  (I'd love to put together a Kickstart 1.3 [yes, 1.3] with A3000 bonus but I don't think that's currently available.)  Everything else seems honestly rock-solid after many hours of use.

The main problem I can't figure out is this:  only one of my many MIDI interfaces will work on it, and it only works to *output* MIDI.  The two other known good interfaces I've tried (an ECE interface and a Triple Play Plus on loan to me) both don't work at all, for input /or/ output.

I'm no MIDI noob, and I'm not an Amiga noob either, so this is kinda puzzling.  Why would only one interface work, and only in one direction?  I've tried many MIDI cables, and many MIDI devices.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were some hardware problem, so I should probably get a terminal program up and try out some communication over a null modem cable.  Problem is that I don't want to spend much more time on this.  I was in the middle of setting up B&P and my DPS PAR to control over MIDI.  I was all ready to go until I discovered this MIDI input problem!  If the serial port is broken, well, either time to give up or figure something else out.  Other ideas include TCP/IP (RxSocket or AMarquee), or finding a Multiface card (used to have some, but not anymore).

Thanks for any help/ideas.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 05:41:28 AM by trilobyte »
Amiga user since \'96, when I could finally afford one
Commodore 8-bit since before I could tie my shoes

Offline trilobyteTopic starter

• Show only replies by trilobyte
    • http://aaack.org
Re: A3000 MIDI or serial port problems
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 05:48:18 AM »
Gal dang.  I just hooked up a null modem cable and at 9600 8N1 with flow control off, it can send and receive just fine to my A1200.

So what the heck is going on with the MIDI devices...?! could they be demanding too much power from the serial port?  Hmm.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 05:54:28 AM by trilobyte »
Amiga user since \'96, when I could finally afford one
Commodore 8-bit since before I could tie my shoes

Offline krashan

• Hardware designer and programmer
    • Show only replies by krashan
    • Personal homepage
Re: A3000 MIDI or serial port problems
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 04:23:23 PM »
The difference is power. Nullmodem cable does not need any power on serial port. MIDI cables will either need both +12 V and –12 V, or just +12, depending on internal design.