Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Announcing the Amiga.org Motorcycle Club.  (Read 4752 times)

Description:

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
Re: Announcing the Amiga.org Motorcycle Club.
« on: July 03, 2009, 01:50:48 AM »
I disagree that any increased mandatory training will significantly reduce motorcycle stupidity, I mean accidents.  There is too much regulation in the world already.  What might decrease stupid behavior would be more severe punishments for the stupid, be they on motorcycles, cars, using guns, carelessly using other dangerous tools or recreational items, etc.  Then make sure everyone knows the penalties for their stupid behavior if they are not responsible with their actions.  Individual responsibility should be taught to all young people in school and parents must be responsible for the actions of their children, until they are old enough to be responsible for themselves.

I am now 53 years old and ride my Suzuki 400 DRZ super moto pretty well after not being on two wheels for about 25+ years, but I must admit that the first month of riding again, I had a little incident.  I was riding the Kawasaki KLR650 to work one morning, probably the 4th or 5th time on a bike after the long gap of not riding.  I was at a stop light in traffic and was surprised by the light change, as I was expecting the left turn light coming towards me to activate first, so I was not prepared to move.  I sort of paniced and ended up popping the clutch and pulling the highest and longest wheelie of my life all the way across the intersection.  So high that I had to take my feet of the pegs and lay on the seat and tank to prevent from going all the way over.  I managed to get the front wheel back on the ground and drag myself back onto the seat and make it to work safely, but it was an extreme adrenelin rush and not something I ever want to repeat.  My Suzuki 400 DRZ with aftermarket performance exhaust and a couple of other mods has the same, or more horsepower as the 650 Kawasaki did, but it is much lighter and more fun to ride on the twisty mountain roads.

I don't know if I will ever be a big heavy bike rider, like the harley's and over 1000cc japanese, or german bikes.  My very first bike at age 16 was a 175 CZ trials bike.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 02:47:37 AM »
Quote from: amiga92570;514323
......Dave, first you should never ride while you are see inanimate objects (stop light) come toward you.

Okay, I should have typed stoplight, not stop light, but it was not coming toward me.

Second, You should never keep throttle open while sitting at a traffic light. Its a bummer when you let the clutch out.

I did not have the throttle open while sitting at the light, but in my rush to get out of the way of the morning traffic that I had snaked my way through to get to the front position in between lanes at the stoplight, I gave the bike a little too much throttle and the clutch slipped out of my hand too quickly.

I would have given almost anything to be a bystander with a video camera at that intersection that morning so I could have caught it on tape.  It must have been very impressive to some and hilarious to others.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 02:43:36 PM »
Quote from: amiga92570;514327
@amigadave, I am sure now if you did something like that someone would have it on youtube, haha...

It was only about 3 years ago when it happened.  Scared the $#!t out of me, but I am feeling comfortable riding once again.  It just took me a few months of riding to get the hang of it again.  :roflmao: