Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 22 Hours Non Stop Flight  (Read 1531 times)

Description:

Offline asian1Topic starter

• Show only replies by asian1
22 Hours Non Stop Flight
« on: November 11, 2005, 02:32:22 PM »
The new world record for non stop flight is 22 hours, from HK to London.
Is there any passenger who want to fly 22 hours/more non stop?
Is there any side effect of this flight?

From Reuters:
A Boeing Co. 777 wide-body aircraft set an endurance record for a non-stop commercial flight on Thursday, travelling more than 22 hours eastwards from Hong Kong to London.
The aircraft, with 35 passengers and crew aboard, flew more than half way around the world, covering 11,664 nautical miles, or 21,601 kilometres, Boeing said.
The 777-200LR (longer range) Worldliner plane touched down at London's Heathrow airport in Boeing's blue and white livery, with the word "experimental" over the forward door.
Officials from Guinness World Records were on hand at London's Heathrow Airport to verify the record as the world's longest commercial flight.
The plane flew from Hong Kong to London, going the long way round over North America in a flight which lasted 22 hours and 42 minutes.
Captain Suzanna Darcy-Hennemann, one of the pilots, said the plane had two hours of fuel left when it landed.

Offline NoFastMem

• Show only replies by NoFastMem
Re: 22 Hours Non Stop Flight
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 05:47:06 PM »
I could've sworn that as a kid I'd heard of flights to Australia that lasted around 27 hours, but I was probably too young at the time to understand that adults like to exaggerate about these things as much as children.

The longest I've been in the air was about 9 hours I think, Manchester to Chicago. That was absolute hell, but I put it down mostly to the terrible seats on the Airbus. I was uncomfortable from the minute I sat down. Mentally, 9 hours was pushing the limit for how much inactivity I could stand.
AKA that_punk_guy

Offline X-ray

• Show only replies by X-ray
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 07:19:21 PM »
I think JHB --> London is 11 hours and I have endured 9 of those trips. I feel sorry for the Aussies (in fact more so the Kiwis) who want to go home for Christmas. They must have square arses when they arrive.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 10:55:54 PM »
22 hours?

Will they have stretchers at the end of the flight for the DVT cases?
int p; // A

Offline X-ray

• Show only replies by X-ray
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 11:13:28 PM »
Nah, they probably Heparinise the drinks  :-P

Offline PMC

• Show only replies by PMC
    • http://www.b3ta.com
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 09:17:01 AM »
I once flew from Gatwick to Hewanorra Airport at St Lucia, which was quite a traumatic experience given the lack of reading material and the company of my rather petulant ex.

However, what made the 11 hour flight worse was the family who boarded the plane and sat next to us.  They had a tiny baby obviously upset at being strapped in to a seat and a small ginger boy called "Oliver" who was bored and making everyone else on the plane know it.

Except for when prompted by taking off and landing, Oliver was running up and down the isles, banging people's elbows and making enough irritating noise to rival a Westlife concert, ensuring that no-one got any sleep on the flight.  Every time the long sufferring mother of Oliver turned to her husband for support, he just smiled, shrugged and said "Oh, Oliver.  He's a one!".

A fortnight later and standing in 40 degree heat, with a load of luggage I felt a strange tugging sensation on my suitcase.  I looked down and there was Oliver, trying to remove the baggage tag, while all the time not taking his evil eyes off me.  I stared at his father and indicated that I wanted him to take his nauseating offspring away but all the did was shrug, tut and say "Oh, he's a one isn't he?".

Thankfully, the little fecker and his family were made to sit at the back of the plane.
Cecilia for President

Offline Cymric

• Show only replies by Cymric
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 09:46:29 AM »
This is hijacking the thread, but... Little spoilt kids can be a nuisance on trains too. The TGV from Lyon to Paris is quite comfortable when travelling first class, save for the moments when there is an American family on board whose daddy has fallen upwards in the ranks of some bighsot company, making big bucks as a consequence, and spending it all on high-maintenance wifey (obviously in it for the money only) and spoilt-from-here-to-eternity brat. That kind of people thinks that you can impress people in Europe by showing off just how much money you have---well, it might work in some circles, but the rest of us just doesn't care. Unless, of course, if they insist showing how badly they handle basic human skills, like raising children.

'Mooooommmmmyyyyy...!'

'MOOOOOMMMMMMMMYYYYYY!!!'

'Yes dear?'

'MOOOOMMMMMYYYYY, I want to sit in another seat.'

'Well dear, those seats are taken by other people.'

'MOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!! I WANT TO SIT IN ANOOOOTTHHEEEER SEAEAEATTT!'

'Oh please, sir, would you mind swapping seats with her?' (Oblivious to the fact that we were in FRANCE, and that people might not understand English.)

*Grumbling can be heard, the sound of someone getting off a seat, and a child climbing in it.*

(One minute later.)

'MOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!'

'MMMOOOOOOOMMMMMYYYY!'

'Yes dear, don't shout, it's not polite.'

'MMMMMOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMYYYYY!!!' I want a stickckckuhuhuhurrr.'

'No dear, when we get out of the train.'

(The subsequent scream cannot be accurately reproduced by any ASCII means.)

'Alright dear, don't scream. Here's a sticker.'

(Ten minutes later.)

'MOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMYYYYYYYYYY! My tummmyyy huuuurts.'

'You poor little thing. We'll be in Paris soon, and then Daddy can look for a doctor, alright?'

'My tummmyyy HUUURRTTSSS!! *WAIL*'

My nerves were frayed, if not to say 'fried' when we finally pulled into the Gare de Lyon. That kid needed a good smacking, and the parents too. It is unbelievable what some people will do with their children once their monthly bank statement reaches 6 or 7 figures.

Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.