Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga 3000 cold power on issues  (Read 2559 times)

Description:

Offline Boing-ball

Re: Amiga 3000 cold power on issues
« on: February 22, 2024, 09:25:52 PM »
Mother caps should be replaced if they haven’t been for over 30 years. Also are there any Caps on the MKII 060? I have mine replaced on one of my CSPPC accelerator cards.

Offline Boing-ball

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2024, 11:28:27 PM »
Thanks. I'll be replacing all the caps this weekend. The CSMkII only has tantalums or ceramic caps, so I think those are fine, no electrolytics on it.

I wasn’t sure for the MKII. Have a MKI that has no electrolytic Caps. But the PPC version has 4. Good luck 🤞🏻

Offline Boing-ball

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2024, 02:09:04 AM »
Thanks, sorry wasn't clear. The system was booting fine yesterday with the CSMkII, but not today, which is when I decided to test it with the BFG9060, so it's clearly some issue between the A3000 and CSMkII.

I did remove and resocket all the chips and cleaned them up, so again not that. Why does it work fine after the system has been powered on for a while? That's the puzzle, sme heat-related expansion of a bad solder or something? I'm close to just giving up at this point...

Have you tried changing the CPU oscillator? Believe it or not, it could be just a simple fix as that….

The following users thanked this post: Betelgeuse

Offline Boing-ball

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2024, 11:13:27 PM »
It’s worth a shot. Don’t forget these Phase 5 / DCE accelerator cards are getting older now. You never know.
I have a slightly temperamental MK1. Took me a couple of months finding out after 9.5 and over cycle tests on ATK, that I had a failing RAM Simm. Since swapping that out, it’s been pretty stable. Have had the odd Guru still. So maybe it’s software or another SIMM about to fail.. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Arn’t Amigas great.. 😳🤣🤣